Leather Boot & Jerkin Projects

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: Leather Boot & Jerkin Projects

Post by Ernildir »

That is one amazing jerkin. You have skills.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Cleddyf
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cleddyf »

that is so awesome :D
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

That is very cool, bro!
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Thanks, guys! My main goal has always been and will remain to replicate the description of Aragorn and other Rangers in the books. Aragorn was described as wearing rusty greens and browns (which, Ken has pointed out, technically means faded.) And as such, regardless of the Grey Company being in all blacks and greys, Arnor was not necessarily guarded, I think, by Rangers in black and grey.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Outstanding leather work! It looks great! How much room does it have at the neck? You know, considering that Tolkien did mention the colors so prominently, I wonder now if the grey cloaked Rangers might have been Aragorn's personal guard? Just a thought!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Amazing work Greg can't wait to see how your boots come out.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Greg wrote:Thanks, guys! My main goal has always been and will remain to replicate the description of Aragorn and other Rangers in the books. Aragorn was described as wearing rusty greens and browns (which, Ken has pointed out, technically means faded.) And as such, regardless of the Grey Company being in all blacks and greys, Arnor was not necessarily guarded, I think, by Rangers in black and grey.
I don't remember any colors of the Grey Company's garb being mentioned other than their dark grey cloaks. Did Tolkien write that they wore only black and grey?
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

greg amazing work as always.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

I don't remember any colors of the Grey Company's garb being mentioned other than their dark grey cloaks. Did Tolkien write that they wore only black and grey?
"A little apart the Rangers sat, silent, in an ordered company, armed with spear and bow and sword. They were clad in cloaks of dark grey, and their hoods were cast now over helm and head. Their horses were strong and of proud bearing, but rough-haired; and one stood there without a rider, Aragorn's own horse that they had brought from the North; Roheryn was his name.
There was no gleam of stone or gold, nor any fair thing in all their gear and harness; nor did their riders bear any badge or token, save only that each cloak was pinned upon the left shoulder by a brooch of silver shaped like a rayed star."

No mention of color of clothing other than their cloaks.

Very nice work Greg!

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Thanks, everyone

Not sure where I got the "black" and grey...ignore that comment. No clue where that came from. I guess that's just how I've always imagined them when reading that passage. The good ol' imagination has a nasty habit of filling in gaps. And now I've run off and got Ken confused, too. *BAD ranger! BAD!*

There's not a ton of room, persay, at the neck, but it's comfortable. The neckline is cut even with my neck on the front, and nearly straight across on the back, but there is a vertical slit cut and stitched off on the back of the neck to help the head slide through as well as to allow a bit of give while moving. Seems to work well so far. We'll see how constricting, if at all, the neckline is come wed-friday, when I have a chance to spar in it. Perhaps we'll be able to score some pics of that this week, too. That'd be nice.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice, exellent work Greg !
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Well, I suppose you can still be a member of the Grey Company when you wear that, then. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Ernildir on Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Very true! I just need a grey cloak!
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

maybe the black and grey stuff was what they wore to go to war, they didn't need camo cos they wern't hiding as much and dark colours won't show blood stains so badly
what do all you lot think?
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

I think they would have worn clothing similar to what Strider was described as wearing when we are first introduced to him in the Prancing Pony Inn, no uniform per se, just forest colors to blend in. I don't think they would have had a uniform look like the Ithilien Rangers, they wouldn't have had the resources of a central government such as Gondor to draw on.

The addition of the grey cloak was just something provided by Elrond just as Galadriel had provided the cloaks to the remainder of the Fellowship as they left Lorien.

It could also be implied as a uniform of sorts, the Grey Company were the "Kings Men" his House Guard as it were.

just my 2 pence. YMMV

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.