I got my bow!! - UPDATED WITH PICS!

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: I got my bow!! - UPDATED WITH PICS!

Post by Ernildir »

Very nice looking bow! I like the quote that goes with the specs.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Axemurderer
Wayfarer

Post by Axemurderer »

Haradir

Nice bow. Rudder does wonderful work, I got a hickory backed Epe that pulls about 45lbs. horn knocks great bow. I have a friend that make arrows and one of these day I am going to have him make me a dozen 6 bodkin six broadhead. I should be a very nice kit when done.

If I can make one suggestion, looking at the strung bow on the ground I think it could use to have the brace height adjusted. If you have any questions about doing it, I will be glad to help. However when I recieved my bow, directions cam with the bow.

Mike
Mike Ahrens

Staten Island German Martial Atrs (S.I.G.M.A.)

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Cantius Garand, Reformed (Gas Port)
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

That is a great looking bow.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Hereward the Wake
Dúnadan

Post by Hereward the Wake »

Just seconding whats been said. Check out bracing hieght, and certainly getting arrows of an appropriate length, you are having to under draw quite a bit in the photos and that will do nothing for learning a good style. Also make sure they vare properly spined to the weight of the bow. They don't have to be expensive to start with. If yoju are learning you will loose and break arrows quite a bit, so don't waste money yet.
Also get a tab and a decent bracer.
Have fun
Above all honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary@EHCG.net
http://Www.ehcg.net
Dailir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Dailir »

Its beautiful!
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Axemurderer wrote: If I can make one suggestion, looking at the strung bow on the ground I think it could use to have the brace height adjusted. If you have any questions about doing it, I will be glad to help. However when I recieved my bow, directions came with the bow.

Please pardon my staggering ignorance but what the heck is a brace height?

Sorry about the long time it took replying. I've been offline for a few months. Also, sorry about resurrecting this old thread.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

The distance between the string and the belly of the bow when strung.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

My thanks to you.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

No problem, Oh and when in reference to longbows traditionally the correct brace height is fistmele.

"The term fistmele comes from a medieval word meaning "fist measure," and was used as a method of measuring the brace height on longbows. Fistmele is the breadth of the fist with the thumb stuck out, used to set the distance from the bow handle to the bowstring".

I personally keep mine a tad bit higher.