Equestrian Questions

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Equestrian Questions

Post by Greg »

That's quite a mouthful, isn't it?

Alrighty, there are a good number of you here on the forum with at least some experience riding, and several who currently own or have owned horses and have gone through the care and maintenance of horse and tack time and time again. I've got a fair amount of riding experience, and have a cousin that has done english show jumping and is training to be a vet, so there's a lot of information and advice at my disposal...but that's not the crowd that would have the information I'm looking for.

I've been doing some research, and have found that basically all medieval-period saddles in production today are, as I expected, the high-backed jousting stuyle saddles. Now, there's nothing inherently wrong with a good jousting saddle, but I have a feeling that a far-traveling ranger would not employ the use of one. The high backs, as I understand them, were to give the knight additional back support to help prevent his being unhorsed, both in the lists and on the battlefield.

Considering that our typical ranger would not find him/herself charging headlong down the lists at Minas Tirith during a tournament any more than charging into a body of approaching warg riders with lances on a regular basis, I get the feeling that the high-backed saddle would not be the first choice of most equestrian Rangers.

So here I pose my question.

I've promised Lori that when we have enough land at our disposal (hopefully sooner rather than later), we're going to get a pair of horses.

I, personally, want to acquire/customize a relatively modern saddle into something that could pass for Middle Earth if used in conjunction with my current equipment. Western Saddles simply don't seem to me like they would fit the look and feel aesthetically, but I DO know that they can be rather comfortable.

I have no experience in an english saddle, but from what I've seen, they're sleek, low-profile, and no-frills, which would (again, aesthetically speaking) fit into my idea of what a Ranger's saddle should look like.

So we come to the issue of comfort.

An english saddle seems like it would free up the rider enough to move around in it a little bit during mounted combat, ie. to lean over the side and swing low with a blade, or rotating somewhat in the saddle to fire a bow over either side as well as behind, etc.

What are the opinions of this board? Would a western saddle work just as well, or is the horn, etc. going to get in the way?

My ultimate goal is to make a mount to carry a longsword on the saddle itself for engagements when it would be necessary, maintaining my shorter sword on my belt. Another one of those "If there's a base camp nearby, I'd have ___________ with me" things. If the horse is with me, the longsword could be justified because snagging on the underbrush wouldn't be an issue, etc. So if there are any comments/ideas/suggestions on methods of mounting and which saddle (if any?) such a setup would work better on and why, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Discussion? Readyyyy...BREAK!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Equestrian Questions

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg: You can purchase a Portugese or Spanish saddle for a reasonable price

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ebrown.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... eblack.jpg

I always thought these would fit perfectly in a medieval/fantasy setting.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

You may want to consider an english hunters saddle. Comfortable riding, and you can attach other items like a portamen (I hope i spelled the right). Rigging it so you can carry your long sword shouldn't be a problem.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Jamie wrote:You may want to consider an english hunters saddle. Comfortable riding, and you can attach other items like a portamen (I hope i spelled the right). Rigging it so you can carry your long sword shouldn't be a problem.
Something like this?
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... saddle.jpg
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I have seen some that look like the one pete posted but with a small horn. Next time I am at the place I seen them if they still have them I will take some pics.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg

Post by Greg »

Peter Remling wrote:
Jamie wrote:You may want to consider an english hunters saddle. Comfortable riding, and you can attach other items like a portamen (I hope i spelled the right). Rigging it so you can carry your long sword shouldn't be a problem.
Something like this?
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... saddle.jpg
Shortly after posting this topic, and I came across the "Hunting" style saddle, and I daresay that's exactly what I was thinking. The longer flaps that come down both sides (don't know what they're called...I'll find out) give ample room to add buckles/a harness for a longsword, a saddle quiver, or any other variety of goodies!

That being said, Pete, those spanish saddles DO have a bit of a Medieval flair in terms of the style, and they're lower profile than the actual jousting saddle, so perhaps a compromise could be reached. Seeing as how they're readily available, it's definitely a possibility. Thanks for the pics!

Has anyone done much riding in kit? I know R.D. has at least given it a try with his recently trained "Ranger", but haven't heard any reports back on how it all went. Anyone? Pete, did you ever get around to making those saddlebags that were supposed to convert into a makeshift pack?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Nope, I sketched them out and made a pattern, but as no one expressed any interest, I never made them.
David
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by David »

Greg- this is from Michelle:

Hey Greg, it's Michelle. David passed this along to me... so, I thought I'd throw in my two cents. Awesome.

Don’t buy a saddle until you have the horses. Sounds silly, but (trust me) it’s worth the wait. The saddle shouldn’t bang against their withers, pinch them, or slide off. If you do long distance riding with an improperly fitting saddle, it can mess them up. This can usually be fixed with extra pads and blankets, but then you have to go through the hassle of keeping them washed, etc. So... just hold your horses until you have one.

Okay, I've never seen the Spanish Black saddle before... and totally want one now.

As far as saddles that I’ve worked with that I’ve found comfy and useful, Australians are my favorite due to their sleekness, comfort and functionality. They’re pretty much all of the awesome stuff from English and Western on one legit saddle.

Exhibit A. http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/widtrebusaus.html

Most come with a smaller horn (you’ll want that to attach a lead rope when trail riding) and plenty of D rings for storage. Also, they have fenders to protect your legs from chafing (though after 9 hours in the saddle everything chafes... no biggie =) ) and metal stirrups which are easier on the ankles.

They do have a high back, but that may help keep your gear in place as you move up and down hills.

The next option is a western endurance saddle sans horn ( http://www.amazon.com/16-DOUBLE-Tooled- ... B003BM4ZN2 ) .... because... they’re friggin comfy =) and they look cool... and they’re already designed to meet the needs of long distance riders.

If you do decide to go for a saddle, consider one of the lighter leathers. Black absorbs heat (and I’ve definitely burned on black saddles before). If you’re going to be doing a lot of riding and find yourself in the middle of nowhere with a burned *ahem* it can be a very looooong ride home.
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Peter - thats is what I was reffering to.

Gregg - I have to agree with the coment on waiting. It is worth the wait. And the saddles may just be the compermize that you want. They appear to have rings and such for the atachment of other gear.
Greg

Post by Greg »

My apologies if I sounded like I was planning on picking up a saddle pre-horses...I'm just brainstorming, and figured it'd make for an interesting, on-topic discussion.

Thanks for the input, all the way around!

Dave, you know it'd be about 100x easier if Michelle just hopped on the boards here... :wink:
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I ride a bighorn saddlery trail saddle, hard leather seat, 5" cantle with cordura skirts and fenders. This saddle has been used almost daily for nigh 12 years. the semi-quarterhorse bars have give me a good fit both on my 10 year old appendix quarterhorse,Storm as well as my 3 year old walking horse, Ranger. 60 green horses have been under this saddle. I paid $540.00 or so, for this saddle new and its been worth every penny. It weighs 18 lbs.

Riding in period garb is still riding, but I would advise you to go with a light saddle it may not be as "sexy" but alot of old school designs
are heavy and can be uncomfortable for your horse....Storm would buck under a mcclellan, just because a design is old dont make it good, back then if a horse didnt like the gear he had the hell rode and beat out of'im until he accepted it....I'm not knocking a saddle or saddlers, just sayin'. **In this game its all about the horse, our wants and comforts come only after his and if they conflict, his comfort and needs win out**

Another thing and I'm sorry for the long post, but: ride your horse or at least spend some time with the horse everyday....So many new horse owners get an animal and when the new wears off they're done. Your horse will be what you make'im and no horse is ever done training no matter how "broke" he may be. You have a wife a job hobbies etc. the only thing he has is *you* Keep him fit and feeling useful, curry him and rub down his legs after you ride and reward him lavishly when does to suit you be patient but stern when he dont. But dont buy a horse only to turn him into a pasture ornament.
Not saying you will but this is a pet peeve of mine and it would probably shock you how often I've spent 90 days with a good colt only to send him home to never be seen by a human except to feed'im then get told I didnt do my job when some tenderfoot gets throwed after leaving the horse in a stall for year and one fine day deciding to take a ride. I told one dude the horse probably didnt want to throw'im... the poor horse was just so glad to see daylight again he had to jump for joy :D
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Greg

Post by Greg »

RD! You're alive! Glad to hear from you!

Thanks for the post; there's a lot of good info in there. I hear you on daily spending time with the horse. Even though my hawk isn't flying during this season since she's shedding feathers and all that, I make sure I stop by to say hi, and often take her on a short walk with me on the fist out to the mailbox, just to keep her attuned to me and all.

Thanks for the info!

How's Ranger doing, eh? Haven't heard about him in awhile...
Cleddyf
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cleddyf »

just thought i'd say that here(in nz) spanish, portugese and australian saddles are all lumped under western, and english saddles are usualy only used by those in pony clubs,races and competitions,
most people use variations of the 'western' theme, especially on stock horses
that said we also have a fairly well established rodeo circuit in the south island for the size of our population, that probably influences it
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Here's a link that might be helpful!

http://www.artemisia.sca.org/stables/medievalSaddle.htm

Hope it helps!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Mornin' Greg, you mentioned methods of mounting and thankfully traditional horsemanship has that covered, you mount on the left side, this tradition began for no other reason than the wearing of a sword on the left hip :) :D Its also interesting that usually the longsword was worn, while the arming sword was lashed to the saddle. I hang it over the horn, its easy to hand. Eventually I want to get a sheepskin to cover my saddle to "look" more the part.

what I've found is that I like the sword to hang vertically if there is a cant the peice goes under the stirrup fender much like a rifle scabbard and I dont like that bulge under my knee. I am going to add another layer to your plans: what if he bolts? Generally speaking its good to keep some back up gear on you just in case a wicked little spin causes you and your horse to part ways...it happens.....So i've heard :D :lol:

Above all stay safe and have fun and I want to see your horse when you get im/er.

As far as Ranger goes hes still a little fireball. hes getting about 40 minutes under the saddle every day and we're both lovin every minute of it. I've managed to get another gaited horse an 8 year old walker thats fun to work with too. i'm real proud of my string recently, these are two of the best I've owned so far.

~RD
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~