any thoughts

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

any thoughts

Post by dwayne davis »

Hey all, i'm lookin into a new blade to replace my other. ive been looking at the tinker norman sword from hanwie. or possably the sweedish viking blade from windlass. im leaning heavely toward the tinker, but im wandering if it will fit close enough with the style and time line of middle earth ( u know migration erra through late viking?) any and all imput from my fellow rangers is most welcome. ( either one will be from KOA) :D
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: any thoughts

Post by Peter Remling »

The Tinker line has been reviewed with spotty sharpness issues throughout the entire line. The Norman in particular wasn't favored highly. I havn't handled a Tinker/Norman but have owned a EMSH. It wasn't extremely sharp but nothing that couldn't be touched up quickly. It really wasn't for me but was certainly worth the price tag and has had better reviews than the Norman.

I own a 1/2doz. Windlass and have sold many more, probably a total of 30 over the past 20 years, nice display piece but only a few of the models would I consider a user.

Have you considered the Valiant/Atrim Practical line ?
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

no i havnt looked at the valiant line, are they a pretty good choice?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Peter Remling wrote:Have you considered the Valiant/Atrim Practical line ?
Every review I've seen on the Hedemark (very much a migration period blade) in the signature line has been a shining review. Might be something to look into.

http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/inde ... read=13727
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I mentioned the Practical line because they are comparely priced to the Tinker line. The Signature line has blades designed by Angus Trim and the furniture designed by Christian Fletcher Its twice the price range you were looking at.

Are they worth it,--Absolutely, several members here own the Castile, the Bristol and I have a Malatesta.
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

Thanks for the link, i read the review of the hedimark, very nice i admit. i went and checked the review for the norman sword, i saw the low marks for sharpness, ( not really a problem.) i really like the peened pommel though. strange ive seen no review for the swedish sword from windlass, that worries me. although i did see they have brought back the ufbert sword hmm. :D
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

somthing else im alittle fuzzy on, through all of Tolkiens writing about middle earth and i may have missed it. is their a distinction between the swords of men amd elves? i know they were all straight bladed. :? edit: i did find an essay online that has some good idaes.http://radio-weblogs.com/0116391/storie ... Earth.html :D
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

For my 2¢ I'd say save up and get a squire line Albion sharpened from the factory. It'll be the last chunk of change you'll have to spend on a blade, botched cut or no. I've owned swords from United all the way up to a custom Jake Powning and for the money, at least in my opinion, Albion can't be beat. Atrim is a close second and a tie with A&A. Spend the money once and you'll never spend it again. If you think about it, your $200+ out on the Gen 2, and now you'll be about $175 down for the tinker. For $125 more you could get a Squire line Knightly sharpened from Albion and never have to lay cash out again.

With that said I'd go with a Valiant Armory Castile (The XII not the X) over any swords you've mentioned. While I'd take the tinker over the windlass, I've found the whole line to be a little soft. My Tinker blunt got eaten at the last seminar I was at by an I-Beam blunt and an A&A. Literally took chunks out of the blade. Not as bad as an Albion going up against a Hanwei practical mind you, but I'd wager if I put it up against an Albion blunt for a year it'd fail before the year was out. Now my Squire line Great sword is still going strong years after I've purchased her. She has knocks and bruises that tell a tale of heavy use, but she's still sound and still rings true after all the punishment she's been through. I like the sword you want and happen to want one myself so CSS can do a number on her, but I wouldn't want one as my main blade.
Winter is coming
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

yeah youre right there. the gen 2 was a total dissapointment. ill never wast money on one of those again. i have looked at albions before, the only consistantly good blades ive owned have been from deltin. and their a little over priced for what they are. i may just may mind you pick up the tinker for a beater, but an albion isnt out of the question.
Duathen
Dúnadan

Post by Duathen »

I concur with Mr. Capanelli, my albions are my favorites as well.

If you end up going for an Albion squire line you might want to consider the first three offerings on this page over at viking-shield.com: http://www.viking-shield.com/albionmarkswords.html. I don't know if they are Gen 1 swords or just squire line blades dressed up with higher line furniture, but they are an awesome option at that price bracket.
Axemurderer
Wayfarer

Post by Axemurderer »

I have the Valhalla line Warder. designed by John Ludemo. great sword. the great thing about the higher end Valiant swords is you get a real scabbard and suspension for the price. And on a historical note, The scabbard was often quite more expensive then the sword itself. So ponder that when making a purchase.

Mike
Peter Remling wrote:I mentioned the Practical line because they are comparely priced to the Tinker line. The Signature line has blades designed by Angus Trim and the furniture designed by Christian Fletcher Its twice the price range you were looking at.

Are they worth it,--Absolutely, several members here own the Castile, the Bristol and I have a Malatesta.
Mike Ahrens

Staten Island German Martial Atrs (S.I.G.M.A.)

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Cantius Garand, Reformed (Gas Port)
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

hey thanks. i was alrady looking at the gotland sword over at viking sheild. been lookin at it for a bit, if i go with an albion soon it will be that one. i mentioned deltin eralier, the way i see it the deltins and albions are priced the same, and the albions are way better. so if im gonna lay down that much cash why not go with the albion. but still thinking of a " beater" just for trecks in the woods and perhaps fair giong?
Duathen
Dúnadan

Post by Duathen »

Did you check out Peter's post here? http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... f=3&t=1098 MRL is running a sale on the 22nd - you might be able to score one of the swords you've had your eye on pretty cheap if you really want something to ding and dent without feeling guilty.

BTW - nice pick with the Gotland, love the guard and pommel shapes.
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

yeah ill have to check. In windlasses defense i have owned a couple that were not bad. but they have been few. :wink:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I have a lot of swords, from various makers. None of the ultra expensive sorts like Albion or Chris Fletcher more's the pity. I was going to get Chris to make a version of my Del Tin Glamdring with a longer grip and some other minor mods, but so far cannot afford it.

All of that being said, the sword dearest to my heart is the Del Tin Glamdring, which I got from Museum Replicas back in the 80s. It is high quality steel, the blade has been tested more than once, and it is a nicely weighted piece.

Second would be the Cold Steel Shamshir. I have never hefted a better balanced blade.

Windlass tends to make heavy blades such that sharpening them can be a challenge. I have the Heron Mark sword, which is very good, but again, the blade is thicker than it ought to be. This is a common thing with Windlass and of late some of their quality has been suspect.

Del Tin has changed the steel they use but they make fine blades.

Albion of course. Christian Fletcher.

I do not know much of Hanwei since I haven't any of their pieces.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!