any thoughts

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: any thoughts

Post by dwayne davis »

I HAD a windlass ranger wich i dearly loved, that i gifted to a young freind. i also had at one time a saxon blade by windlass which saw heavy cutting use for over five years. but at the same time i have had windlass swords that didnt make it a year, ( mutch like the gen 2 ) deltins have always been good i have only owne4d two in my life, a scottish broad sword i got back about 94, ( i still have it) and a viking blade i got in 07. both were a little heavy. but at the price of a del tin one can get an entry level albion sooo. hanwie's with a peened construction it ok, the threaded tangs not so good. :)
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Axemurderer
Wayfarer

Post by Axemurderer »

OK let me play devils advocate! Since I do not know for what purpose anyone other then I want a sword, do not take anything iI am about say personally. All most everyone so far has been asking for a good sword at a good price. I feel that sword does not exist. I for one want the best sword PERIOD! Over the years I have owned some of the best swords you can Imagine. I have had ATRIMS(and still own one)at one time 7. I have never owned owned an A&A sword, but have owned most of thier polearms, and still do own 2. I have owned at least 12 Albions 3 of wich were Museum Collection swords and still own 5. I have never owned a Del Tin, but have handled quite a few. Some I like some I do not. But remember Del Tins do not come sharp. If You are looking to buy a Del Tin buy from KOA. thier sharpening service is great.

As far as I am concerned an inexpesive sword is a cheap sword. Not that you would not be well served should for some reason you need to defend your or someone elses life. However most are just sharpend crow bars. some have tried of late to change that. some come close some do not. Balence wrong, blade profile wrong. grip length wrong, ECT. Blades made from seeing photos of other bad swords. If all you want is a piece of costume jewery to walk in the woods and attack trees buy what you want. If none of this matters to you, then no problem.

I for one am a student of Western Martial Arts. I want my sword to be as close to historicly correct as possible. Which is why I choose Albion over most other production blades. I for one can no longer be satisfied by almost, by it's enough for now, I want the best sword. not the best I can afford, THE BEST. And once you have owned the best, you will undertstan. So my advice is save your money, buy the best. You deserve it. and remember the bottom line is if you own a sword learn how to use it, because if you do not you are better off wit a baseball bat. Just my opinion I could be wrong.

Mike
Mike Ahrens

Staten Island German Martial Atrs (S.I.G.M.A.)

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Cantius Garand, Reformed (Gas Port)
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Ah indeed, the best possible sword would be the best thing ever. Unfortunately, a lot of people cannot afford that, so a balance is struck. Even with savings, many of us have other things the money needs to go to; medical costs, family, housing, there are those who are unemployed, under employed, etc. I am sure we all wish we could have the very best.

I wish I could afford to own swords like that. Nowadays I make my own...but not everyone can do that either, and I am not what I'd call an expert swordsmith either. Not yet anyway.

Good points though. Many of us here are also into WMA, where it is available, and many of us have the manuals and do the best we can without formal training.

Gods how I wish I could afford and have access to all the things that would make a better Ranger. LOL

Dreams make life interesting.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

I have an Atrim/Valiant Practical Arming sword that I purchased from SBG a few years ago. It's a very nice blade, well-balanced and very sharp. I need to make a good sword belt to actually carry it as the one that came with wasn't all that sturdy. I don't see myself buying another blade after this, it's definitely a keeper.

I also managed to snag a couple of the Cold Steel practice swords made from some type of heavy black plastic that are pretty close to the weight and balance of the real one. I have a padded pell set up in the backyard that I beat on with those, going through the I.33 sword and buckler manual I have but unfortunately don't have anyone else up here to spar with.

Someday when I have a job again and money to spare I'm going to have Pete make me a new sheath for a knife I carry when out in the woods.

>>Dreams make life interesting.

That's why we all all here, living the Ranger dream as best we can.

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

My Del Tin Glamdring is still my most favoritest of blades. ;) That blade chimes beautifully when struck; ask a smith what that means. I have tested it on multiple items, including armor, and the blade has always come through without injury. I can bend it four inches out of true and it returns to true. It is a touch blade heavy, but just a touch and I prefer it that way. It is peened over on the pommel. Leather wrapped wood grip.

As I say, I got it from MR when they were still selling Del Tin blades back in the mid-80s. If memory serves it was on sale at 300 dollars or so. Still the finest blade I have although as I say, the Cold Steel Shamshir is the best balanced blade. I admit to being very tempted by Cold Steel's production of the Marine NCO sword in battle ready form rather than as a display item. Being a former Marine I have a certain affection for that blade.

But yeah, Dreams are why we are here. And the Del Tin Glamdring works just fine by me...and I like the looks of it better than the movie version anyway. ;) I have Orcrist too, another fine sword.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Axemurderer wrote:OK let me play devils advocate! Since I do not know for what purpose anyone other then I want a sword, do not take anything iI am about say personally. All most everyone so far has been asking for a good sword at a good price. I feel that sword does not exist. I for one want the best sword PERIOD! Over the years I have owned some of the best swords you can Imagine. I have had ATRIMS(and still own one)at one time 7. I have never owned owned an A&A sword, but have owned most of thier polearms, and still do own 2. I have owned at least 12 Albions 3 of wich were Museum Collection swords and still own 5. I have never owned a Del Tin, but have handled quite a few. Some I like some I do not. But remember Del Tins do not come sharp. If You are looking to buy a Del Tin buy from KOA. thier sharpening service is great.

As far as I am concerned an inexpesive sword is a cheap sword. Not that you would not be well served should for some reason you need to defend your or someone elses life. However most are just sharpend crow bars. some have tried of late to change that. some come close some do not. Balence wrong, blade profile wrong. grip length wrong, ECT. Blades made from seeing photos of other bad swords. If all you want is a piece of costume jewery to walk in the woods and attack trees buy what you want. If none of this matters to you, then no problem.

I for one am a student of Western Martial Arts. I want my sword to be as close to historicly correct as possible. Which is why I choose Albion over most other production blades. I for one can no longer be satisfied by almost, by it's enough for now, I want the best sword. not the best I can afford, THE BEST. And once you have owned the best, you will undertstan. So my advice is save your money, buy the best. You deserve it. and remember the bottom line is if you own a sword learn how to use it, because if you do not you are better off wit a baseball bat. Just my opinion I could be wrong.

Mike
Yeah but how do you really feel? :P

Seriously though, being an artist I'm a man of limited means so I feel for you. I do understand that money is tight and you just want something that's the best bang for the buck. I've taken this route when I first started collecting and I can tell you that it's penny wise and pound foolish. I, with limited funds mind you, have managed to own just about every sword Albion and A&A make over the last few years. Not all at the same time mind you, but you get the point. I simply put the money I was going to spend on a lesser sword aside and waited. It took me a year to pay for my brescia and it was worth every week I waited and saved. It was remarkably easier then I thought it would be as well. I just bagged my lunch, made my own coffee, cut what I could, and before I knew it Mike over at Albion sent my tracking numbers. I went on a monthly plan before they had advertised a layaway plan on their site. The point here is there's options available to you so you can get something that's as close as you can come to an original in feel and balance. You also have the experience of other collectors and HEMA partitioners to help you learn the easy way, through our mistakes. In the end though this is all just advice and opinion so take it with a grain of salt, yet it still gives you things to consider before plopping down dollar after dollar trying to find the right blade when in the end you may end up having turned over several swords, and lost out on some cash, to get to this place anyway.
Winter is coming
Axemurderer
Wayfarer

Post by Axemurderer »

OK OK OK. yes money is tight, I understand. a couple of years back I sold almost all my swords, pole arms and I have yet to replace my armour. Believe me I understand. It also does not change what i said before. remember that a sword in todays world is not something you need "RIGHT NOW". You may want it right now, but you do not need it. I even now that having the cash today will not mean you have it a week from now. That is life, it took me a year to send Christian Fletcher the price of my Bresciawatch, and I had the blade sitting in the corner. All I can say is people like Mike and I who have owned so many wonderful swords, are not the norm. We have both sold swords that we loved, only to buy a new sword that did not hold the ssame place in our hearts. I know this because Mike has owned at least 2 Albion Agincourts, one he sold to me. I no longer own that sword, or an other Albion type 15. just not the sword for me. But like i said not the norm. So save the money for a truely wonderful sword it's worth it and so are you, at least you should be. JMOICBW.

Mike
Mike Ahrens

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Cantius Garand, Reformed (Gas Port)
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

lol ive played devils advocate my self a time or two. i have decided to go with the albion gotland blade. i may make my own scabbard thou as i do love crafting thing my self. i do have my own prerequisit copy of i33 on my computer mind you but i do have it. ( i like a privat spot in the woods to drill.) i confess, i would dearly love a blade from the mad dwarf work shope . maybe in a bit :D i do apreciate all the help ive gotten in my decision. :lol:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I made my own scabbard for Glamdring. I really ought to rename that sword. LOL

The one that came with it had nice steel furniture but it was just leather. So I made the first one of...white oak. Now I have one under construction of ash. Lined with lambs wool (with the lanolin still in it) and covered with leather, that's what it will wind up as. I'm making a good sword belt to go with it and have been experimenting with designs for buckles.

These days I make nearly everything, or try to. Try to is really the operative thing there. LOL

I do have my walking foot cobbler's treadle machine back from the shop; leather work ho!

Anyway, yep, my Del Tin is my baby and it is getting its third scabbard. :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I get the buy the best, however, Mike, MikeA and a few others here already know what constitutes a great sword and our own personal preferences. How did we come to know what constitutes a good sword and come to learn our preferences ?, by handling many lesser and better quality blades!

Lower and middle range swords serve a purpose, they allow us to learn, at a moderate price, those lessons we need to learn so we can make an educated purchase of a high endsword.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

True Pete. Very true.

All things are learning curves. In my case I am happy with my Del Tin. Enough so even when I got the insurance money for getting run over by the car, I did not trouble to replace it. :) Sometimes good things do not have to be very expensive things.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I got alot of things to do and NO time to do any of them, but I plan on trying to learn the basics and start cutting this summer. I will start with my windlass fantasy viking and due to money issues this will most likely be the only sword I have for a long long time. It feels perfect in my inexperienced hands and looks great, plus the original price was on the lower end.

With that rambling mess (forgive me if it doesn't make sense) when it comes to buying anything start with what you like and then check prices and reviews. I think you are better off with a good decent priced blade that you love rather than a higher price great blade that you thinks ok.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

Will if ur happy with windlass fantasy viking , thats the main thing. sometimes they do get it right. may i suggest pool noodles, when u do start to cut. if u make a bad cut they wont kill youre blade. and they are cheap. 8)
Axemurderer
Wayfarer

Post by Axemurderer »

Do not sell pool noodles short. True they are less damaging the some other things. But they are also quite difficult to cut correctly, due to the amount of give. They are excelent in showning you just how good or bad your blade angle is. Just getting through the target does not mean you have cut well.

Mike

PS: Remember that backyard cutting is no test of sword or swordsman. It is fun as hell, I love to cut. no matter how good you cut, A sword does not cut armour, helms, machine gun barrels, or other swords. it cuts soft targets only!

jolromir wrote:Will if ur happy with windlass fantasy viking , thats the main thing. sometimes they do get it right. may i suggest pool noodles, when u do start to cut. if u make a bad cut they wont kill youre blade. and they are cheap. 8)
Mike Ahrens

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

As this line was discussed and I just saw this, I thought I'd post it for anyone interested:

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=23063