Medieval "Pants"

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ernildir
Haeropada

Medieval "Pants"

Post by Ernildir »

I would like to try to craft (or get my mom to craft :mrgreen: ) or perhaps purchase some Medieval/Rangerish "pants." I don't really know anything about what was actually worn during that time period, though. And I don't want to wear leggings. ;)

What do y'all use? How were they obtained? Are there any good patterns out there?

Thanks.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Medieval "Pants"

Post by Willrett »

I have this pattern that I am going to use for pants. http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin ... ernid=4380
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I just make simple drawstring pants most of the time, suitably modified for the female form. Lately though I've been adding in a kind of lace up fly. It makes necessary functions rather easier in a lot of ways.

Pretty much any pattern will do, unless you wish to be very period accurate in some way. There are the Thorsberg trousers, a very popular choice with a lot of folk, and others too.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Andy suggested taking apart a pair of sleep pants or something similar and using them as a pattern.
Here's a quote from his website:

"Pants- natural fabric, drawstring or button. No zippers, no modern cut/style, no modern pockets or elastic. I found some lightweight drawstring pants at Wal-Mart years ago. I took them apart, ironed the pieces out and that is my pattern."

That being said, there's nothing ruling out using your own creativity. I once got a garment from a ren faire that was nothing more than a piece of fabric sewn in a particular way with a drawstring that could be used as a shirt, pants, tunic and probably a couple more things I've forgotten. Granted, it was a pain in the butt to use, and I didn't really like it, but it was a creative concept.
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

>>"I once got a garment from a ren faire that was nothing more than a piece of fabric sewn in a particular way with a drawstring that could be used as a shirt, pants, tunic and probably a couple more things I've forgotten. Granted, it was a pain in the butt to use, and I didn't really like it, but it was a creative concept."

That would be this item:

http://www.cameleonclothes.webs.com/

I've been trying to find a pattern for this for awhile but they don't make them anymore apparently, and the website owner has never responded.

It is an interesting design concept, simple draw-string pants would be your best bet though.

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I have a pair of pants from the Legends of Sherwood collection that work qquite nicely for Ranger garb:

Image I added the drawsting.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-398-locksley-pants.aspx

Get Dressed for Battle offers wool pants for a good price at KoA:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp ... Wool+Pants

and of course you can't go wrong with sweatpants. After donning tunic, jerkin and highboots, you really can't see that much anyway, but good luck no matter what you do, and of course, take pics! Remember, this guy didn't need pants, and he did pretty good!

"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Sweatpants are, as Ken said, a great, instant fix.

That being said, they're not very durable, as the sweatshirt material they're made out of wears easily, and won't hold up like wool or canvas/heavy cotton duck will in the elements and the dirt. I'd vote for doing it right the first time once you get around to making them, and go with the historical designs and fabrics. It'll save you the headache down the road.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

A good inexpensive way is to buy or use an old Karate gi pants, preferably a few sizes larger. Dye the pants brown, green or grey, add some leather knee protectors and away you go.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thanks for all the suggestions! I like the drawstring pants idea. I'll let y'all know how it goes if it ever does.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Argent

Post by Argent »

What about leather pants such as these?

http://www.ravenswoodleather.net/shop/s ... &parent=31

or these?

http://www.leathermystics.com/pants/pants.html

um, ignore the leather hotpants :]
It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your door...
You step into a road and if you don't keep your feet there is no telling where you might be swept off to.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Leather pants are very hot causing you to sweat in nether regions! Besides they make my butt look big ! :P

They do look good on skinny people and models, I however are neither, so not something you'll see me in anytime soon.

I apologize to all my fans. who were looking forward to the pics. :)
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Peter Remling wrote: Besides they make my butt look big ! :P
Umm, no, that would be x number years of marriage and good eatin'! :P
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh another quick fix for pants until you can make/buy better pants are scrubs!! the pants are light weight, and under a tunic you can't tell.. and they really are durable. You can buy them at Walmart. They come in a variety of solid colors.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Hereward the Wake
Dúnadan

Post by Hereward the Wake »

It should be noted that if you are in a northerly temperate climate where you are likely to get cold and or wet, that cotton and leather are not good for keeping you warm, wool even when wet will not get as cold as the other materials, a survival quote i remember "cotton kills"
Also wool garments treated with lanolin a pretty waterproof.
best
Above all honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary@EHCG.net
http://Www.ehcg.net
Druin
Wanderer

Post by Druin »

Peter Remling wrote:A good inexpensive way is to buy or use an old Karate gi pants, preferably a few sizes larger. Dye the pants brown, green or grey, add some leather knee protectors and away you go.
If you get the gi pants they make specifically for Judo or Jujitsu, the knees are already reinforced (a handy feature for grappling-centered martial arts AND adventuresome rangers)
Happy Hunting