Tinker Longsword w/ Custom Fittings

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Tinker Longsword w/ Custom Fittings

Post by Greg »

Well, Jolromir and R.D. seem to have started the trend...the new hip thing seems to be homebrew sword fittings, so I figured I'd jump on board and try to fit in with all the cool kids.

Set up a meager, but functional, forge about two months ago and have been fiddling with it, and, besides a few less-than-brilliant pairs of tongs made from rebar, this is my first real project I've hammered out (pun blatantly intended.)

All stock tinkers I've seen have fittings that just don't seem all that appealing to me. There's been lots of talk on SBG about how much folks don't like the blade on the Valiant Armoury Malatesta with the fittings it has...most of the opinions are that the fittings are too late-period for the blade type. So in short, liking where that discussion was going, I decided I'd try my hand at similarly replicating the aforementioned malatesta fittings for my bare Tinker blade, and see what happens.

These first two were taken before shaping was finished, so the kinks on the ends have been remedied to some degree, and the tapers out to the ends are a bit more well-formed, etc.

Still some polishing to do, and then, of course, drilling/shaping the slot for the blade, but it's well on its way. The pommel's being ground out of a 1" diameter by 2" long piece of steel rod. Grinding and sanding out the blemishes has helped clean it up quite a bit, but it's certainly less-than-perfect.

I'm eagerly anticipating seeing how the Tinker handles with this setup. I'm hoping the pommel doesn't end up being too heavy, robbing the blade of weight and presence in the cut. Worst case scenario, I can always grind off more.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Re: Tinker Longsword w/ Custom Fittings

Post by Eric C »

That's actually pretty good for some of your first work IMHO. One critique though: Keep the thumb out of harms way! :o That looks like it smarted.

I look forward to seeing where this project goes as well as how you progress in your work.

Just one thing. Don't leave me in the dirt the way those MAD Dwarf guys did. :lol: They've gotten really good!
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I did a similar guard for my sword (top cleaned up on the belt sander) but didnt like it then tried a flared and slightly s shaped guard (bottom, as forged) but didnt like it either. both looked good on paper but didnt look right against the blade. and neither really fell into my fantasy Norse theme.

I really like what you did with your guard the flares on the terminals look really good. The only advice I have is to watch your hammer blows, this is coming from the guy who was repeatedly told he had a clumsy hammering style so for what its worth, bro. It really helps on the clean up. I would also reccomend anyone using mild steel to case harden their fittings at least the guards. Peter Johnsson uses spring steel and heat treats them. you cant go too far wrong looking to him 8)

This has the makin's of a fine looking peice and you definitely have what it takes to pull it off.
Attachments
sword guards1&2.jpg
sword guards1&2.jpg (79.99 KiB) Viewed 7536 times
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

looks good cant wait for finished pics
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

Well Greg I wont speak fo R.D but i for one am very proud of ya ladd. now next year we'll show you how to make youre blades glow when Orcs are near ( lol kidding,gotta have tritium for that :P ) seriously, good job.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?