Falcata

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Hereward the Wake
Dúnadan

Falcata

Post by Hereward the Wake »

Just occured to me that my Falcata would abe a good Ranger in the woods weapon. Notmentioned in the books, but its similarity to both the saex and kukri make it a god choice for a cross tool/weapon.
Mine has a length of 25" and so easy to wear and move with in close terrain, and the design gives it a "Numenorean" feel.

JW
Above all honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary@EHCG.net
http://Www.ehcg.net
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hereward the Wake
Dúnadan

Mine is made by Deltin.
Follow the link yo see it.
http://www.deltin.it/202a.htm
Best
JW
Above all honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary@EHCG.net
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I just wish that bladesmiths who make Falcatas would get a bit more creative with their handle designs. They all seem to sport that traditional hook-style handle, and I think a Falcata could look awesome with a simple hilt based off a Kukri's traditional grip, or even a pseudo-basket hilt. The sword that the man character from Stardust carries comes to mind...but hey, that's all just me. I just think that the mock ivory/whatever handles are getting old, stylistically.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Pertty sword, and I second Greg's opinion. Unless you're making reporduction blades, a little creativity only makes it better.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Hereward the Wake
Dúnadan

Greg wrote: I just think that the mock ivory/whatever handles are getting old, stylistically.
:D Getting old!!! good joke!
But really they make them like that because that how the ones that have been foound look. If one wants to get something custom then ask a maker but otherwise makers, especially those that make historical copies will stick with history.

From a practicle point of view the grip design works well for hopw the blade handles, its very weight forward through the blade and the hooked birds neck design stops slipping through the hand. Anything else would not work well.
As a note mind is a solid brass hilt.
Above all honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary@EHCG.net
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I definitely understand the need for the hook at the back end. The pommel on my Nepalese Kukri has a substantial flare so it doesn't slip out of my hands as well. I just tire of imitation ivory with Mediterannean motifs and etching, is all.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

I think the difference to note is that Herward is refering to reproduction historicals and Greg is refering to craftsman's creativity. I support both, so long as both keep functional capacity in mind. But if you're making reproductions, then make reproductions and stick to the style you're studying.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
David

Re: Falcata

Post by David »

I agree with Greg here. I'm all for historical accuracy, but when you're dealing with Dunedain Rangers (a fantasy installment) at least a little creative license is warranted. I myself would love to get my hands on a falcata, but most of the falcatas I've found online look like they were all made by the same person with the same design. The falcata from the alexander the great movie would be my best bet. Here's a pic of it:

http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/image ... -sword.jpg
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

There is precedent for carrying a smaller blade or short sword as a Ranger, as the eket seemed to be part of Numenorean martial tradition. It was described as a short stabbing sword with a broad blade, pointed and two-edged, from a foot to one and a half feet long. I am sure that other influences on a Dunedain smith would inspire him to take that ancient design and perhaps put a bit of flair on it, or perhaps model one on a description from a Ranger who had traveled to other lands and seen the power of a blade like the falcata in action.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
David

Post by David »

I've given up on looking for a battle ready falcata or kopis. I've found a couple of designs that I like, but I want to be able to use them like by battle ready castille longsword. Unless I learn how to smith a blade, I don't think it's possible. I guess it's all for the best since I don't have the funds to purchase one anyway...
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Yup Gareth those would fit the bill nicely. Atlanta Cutlery has a few inexpensive examples of kinjals and qamas that would be great to carry as part of your equipment. I like long knives quite a bit myself.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Mirimaran wrote:Yup Gareth those would fit the bill nicely. Atlanta Cutlery has a few inexpensive examples of kinjals and qamas that would be great to carry as part of your equipment. I like long knives quite a bit myself.

This knife was made from a straight kindjal AC used to sell. I also made my youngest brother one from the Quama you can still purchase. I'll see if I can get him to take a pic of it.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... wordvs.jpg