Ranger Games

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Ranger Games

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

when I first came here I suggested some ranger competitions for our proposed moots. I would like to expand on that a bit. Those familiar with Seneca runs at frontier events will get the concept. A timed run involving the tools of the trade, the bow, sword, axe, spear, and various simulated scenarios/targets at different points to test and develop skill with prizes or bragging rights awarded. As this is definitely a very hands on hobby I figured this might be something worth further consideration. It can be scaled up for the more hard core, and scaled down for children or divided into its various forms for the disabled and the older folk.

I am guaging interest with an eye to host such an event late fall, if any carolinians or Tennesseeans or anyone willing to travel wishes to join up to hash out rules, concerns, the course etc. please feel free to contact me if you want to help make this happen.

~RD
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Ranger Games

Post by E.MacKermak »

Love the sound of that...similar to a Ranger version of Mountain Man Rendezvous competitions. Sounds like a good time to be had.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Reading through that, all I could help thinking of was Cowboy action shooting, where three or four different historical firearms are set down at stations next to each other, and the shooter is timed as well as scored for accuracy, firing each in turn, going from station to station. A similar event, with archery, cutting bottles, etc. could be set up and rather fun.

All the same, I think what you were referring to was splitting things up into different skills, etc. Either way, that'd be a blast. All of this, of course, would have to be performed in kit, yes?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

And we can call them "Randir Games"

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Faolan wrote:And we can call them "Randir Games"

Faolan
HA HA HA HA. I was waiting for someone to write something like this. As for the games I think you'd all be sorely disappointed in my ranging performance. Now fighting I can and have held my own against some really good people but bushcraft? I'm in sore need of a teacher.
Winter is coming
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I should add though if your all willing to put up with an out of shape resident of the concrete jungle and show him some bushcraft I'd love to attend. I can show you all the proper way to hail a cab on 48th and 6th and how to not look like the dreaded "tourist".
Winter is coming
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Greg wrote:Reading through that, all I could help thinking of was Cowboy action shooting, where three or four different historical firearms are set down at stations next to each other, and the shooter is timed as well as scored for accuracy, firing each in turn, going from station to station. A similar event, with archery, cutting bottles, etc. could be set up and rather fun.

All the same, I think what you were referring to was splitting things up into different skills, etc. Either way, that'd be a blast. All of this, of course, would have to be performed in kit, yes?

Actually Greg it could be set up something like an action shoot or anyway the participants want it. Kit would be preferred but at the same time I wouldnt want to exclude anyone.

Erich, you hit the nail on the head.

Mike, bushcraft or no you've lived in a place where I wouldnt survive a day, I dread Asheville traffic I cant imagine a larger city :) And your martial knowledge makes you invaluable. Just dont laugh too hard when you hand me my @ss in the fencing bout. :D
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

It sounds like it could be a great time. It would also be nice to get everyone together so we can learn from each other.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

What da ya mean, older folk? :lol:

For the more urban people, you might want to have a snipe hunt. Best way to learn outdoor skills, am I right ?

Actually the competitions would be great fun. Great Idea !
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

Archery games like a clout shoot, popping jay or the axe shoot?
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

The axe shoot would be cool.....but the gent or lady that made the shot with a bow would be plain scary :shock:

Pete, I meant to say wiser and more experienced, sorry :lol:

I guess we could send'em snipe hutin' and tell'em if they get lost come back and let us know :lol: Its fine lesson in life and a saying I live by, my friend, : "Your only lost if you give a damn where you are" :mrgreen:

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh yes, this does sound like fun.

But were you talking THIS COMING FALL? If so, Erich you will have to wait till next year babe!! But, if this were to become something of an annual Moot.. that would be fun.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

While I was still in the Corps (mumble, mumble) years ago, we spent some time in Norway, with their Brigade North.

While there, we got a chance to participate in their testing for the Norwegian Infantryman's qualification. It was basically a 17 klick run, carrying rifle. At the beginning of the course, you had to memorize a message. Then there were directions to the next point, alhtough it was well marked, anyway.

One station was "object discoery" where you had to look down marked lanes and find the hidden target. Hand the marked paper in to a judge. Then run to the next station. Range estimation.

Part of it was just a 5 click run. There was an orienteering section as well, move to different points, find direction and distance to the next. And in the middle, right after th 5 click straight run when your heart was pounding and you were breathign hard, was rifle range. 5 shots, at an unmarked distance. Only hits in the black count. At the end, you had to write down the message.

The whole thing was timed, and you would get time added for failures at any station. Complete failure at any station would disqualify. We had some guys get disqualified on the rifle range, who were otherwise doing well.

Another compaison to this is the Pentathalon, modern version. Shooting, fencing, swimming, cross country and equestrian. Useful skills for a soldier (late 19th century).

So, something like either of those might be considered.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

Rudolf the longbow ranger
Had a very lengthy bow.
And in the thickest forest
It would make him travel slow.

All of the other rangers