Wood suppliers and why they hate me....

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Wood suppliers and why they hate me....

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Sorry but I got to vent somewhere....My project is at a standstill and its giving me a major attitude problem. I've called dunlap 3 times waited for the thrice promised next day call back....no call.... changed plans ....decided to do a curly maple inlay in an ash scabbard....Son of a b%^&!!.... No ash to be had! went to look at some, it was outside half rotten, the dude looked surprised when I didnt take it.

The last guy I talked to at dunlap sounded like a woman over the phone I called him ma'am 3 times....so I figure I'm screwed with them. Sharps lumber is nice but frankly I cant afford them at the moment, and I needed a cigarette and help to the door after the last transaction .

I got enough maple to inlay but not enough to make a scabbard and I've been planning this all winter....This is the first time a project has went t*ts up and I'm not to blame....as it stands I've got the option of oak, hemlock or dead plain birch...Or a sword with no rig :oops: I've tried to set my bar high,but I think it just cracked my head .....
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Re: Wood suppliers and why they hate me....

Post by Eric C »

R.D.Metcalf wrote: I've tried to set my bar high,but I think it just cracked my head .....
Hehe, I know the feeling. But usually it's my own fault. Hope it works out for you really soon.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Admitting beforehand that I know nothing of wood and/or the choosing of wood for a special scabbard project, but here is a link:

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/lumber.html
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Ken, you are the man! Thanks, bro! You just saved me some money and time 8)

Eric, now that I'm cooled down a bit I have to say the part about it "not being my fault" was hasty and not true. I should've laid in my scabbard supplies when I bought the grip wood...So I have to own that one too.

I just hate playing phone tag especially when it becomes clear they either dont have it or want to part with it...I dont blame them for that, but I do blame them for not being upfront with me. What raked me over the coals was the fact I bought a stock blank from them less than a month ago... I will do business with them again Wayne and Daniel are good guys, but I think they're better lumber men and sawyers than office workers. :)

Thanks to both of you for the kind words and for putting up with my rant.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

RD, I can't tell you how many times I've dressed someone down only to calm down a bit and have to come back with head held low and apologize for how I treated them. It's humbling. I'm slowly but surely learning to slow down a bit. But still, things happen.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Your a bigger man than me, I have only apologized to loved ones for angry words. But it does make for a regret at times....I've come down hard on several that in after thought I know I shouldnt have...This is why I prefer to work alone. I'm focused, driven, and hit it hard and I find it very easy to lose patience with the less focused and more relaxed types. I work to live and even when I play...its work. :lol: I cant handle inactivity, and what I, sometimes mistakenly, perceive as sloth, lack of focus, or stupidity lights my fuse. I grew up with a hard lot and I'm slowly becoming all the curmudgeons I used to hate :lol:

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

You're welcome R.D. and I hope that you can get the things you need for your project, and of course I can't wait to see pics! Sometimes I get a bit impatient myself and sometimes find it hard to hold my tongue, but there's a bit of wisdom in these words, and they've proved themselves to me as great advice time and again:

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Proverbs 15:1

and, of course:

Patience is a virtue. :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Mirimaran wrote:
A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Proverbs 15:1
Very true. Lots of good stuff in Proverbs. One of my favorite books. 8)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Thank you, Ken :) . I declare for the Old Troth but there is alot of wisdom in the King James Bible, ironically it was the book I learned to read from, as it was the only book my great-grandparents owned, Grandma Freeman had me reading before first grade, she baby-sat me while my parents worked.

As I have the weird, self destructive tendency to jump in over my head and go full speed into the challenge my favorite quotes have always been adversial in nature so my favorite passage comes from the book of Micah "Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy, when I fall I shall arise" :)

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

R.D.Metcalf wrote:Thank you, Ken :) . I declare for the Old Troth but there is alot of wisdom in the King James Bible, ironically it was the book I learned to read from, as it was the only book my great-grandparents owned, Grandma Freeman had me reading before first grade, she baby-sat me while my parents worked.

As I have the weird, self destructive tendency to jump in over my head and go full speed into the challenge my favorite quotes have always been adversial in nature so my favorite passage comes from the book of Micah "Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy, when I fall I shall arise" :)
KJV is certainly my favorite translation. I think it is pretty cool that you learned to read with archaic English. ;) And that is quite a passage. I had not grasped the profundity nor the beauty of it before you brought it up just now.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Yeah, well... when folk ask me about real mountain folk...I just tell'em we were like the amish, just better armed :mrgreen: If folk would read the bible with the rhythym and tonal inflection used to recite Shakespeare IE true spoken middle English, it makes for some beautiful reading indeed... to quote Cahill "sheer, ruthless, prose". Like Beowulf Havamal or the sagas these words were meant to be spoken not read. another good one is the words of none other than Christ himself regarding John if I recall, "what came ye for to see... A reed shaken by the wind?"

Frith,

RDM

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

Try Advantage Lumber, they have a website. I have used them with great success when ordering ipe to make the cores for my longbows.
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
appalachianranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by appalachianranger »

Sometimes the best medicine a man can have is to rail uncontrollably for a few moments before calming down and collecting himself, refreshed.
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon