Can anyone here heat treat a large blade ?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Can anyone here heat treat a large blade ?

Post by Peter Remling »

I have a large sword blade, Albion Moat Sale 50" overall 38 1/2" blade.
I have a smaller sword blade that I'd like to have treated so if you can treat them, you can keep the larger.

I would pay s&h both ways, USA only due to Postal costs elsewhere.
Eric C
Vendor

Re: Can anyone here heat treat a large blade ?

Post by Eric C »

How large is the smaller blade? I've nearly got my gas forge ready and I will be able to HT larger blades with it.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

R.D. going to take a stab at them. I still have two more for the future though.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

From his description, RD may have the better set-up for it now that I think about it.

Once I completely enclose the smithy though, I'm going to build a sword-size brick forge. 8)
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Pete, I would personally deem Eric to be the better man for the job, I might do a heat treat once every 2-3 months Eric probably does them every other day. If the blades were mine I would go with the more experienced man. I'll give you 110% but Erics experience makes his 110% better than mine.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I'll stick with R.D. for this go around, after all I still have the other 2 blades both of which are smaller and will fit with Eric's available equipment.

Eric, I need the smallest in it's current untreated state for a pivotal prop in a video I hope to get filmed in the next two monthes. After that we can try to get these last two heat treated if you're game at the time.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

RD, Don't sell yourself short on this. Know-how goes a long way, but know-how without the proper equipment is no good. I'm still growing in both knowledge and equipment.

I've got a big sword project coming up. It's one that was given to me by a fellow forumite. I'll probably have it professionally heat treated. It's a massive sword.

Pete, keep me informed. We'll see what comes about when the time comes.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

It's funny you should pst this now Pete. In the process of looking for someone to regrind me Albion without mucking up the heat treat I stumbled on a forge right here in Whitestone that does heat treatments. If you need it PM me and I'll give you the number.
Winter is coming
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

On the subject of heat-treating, I have a knife that was given to me many years ago, It is a reproduction of a Rev War rifleman's knife. It has all the markings of having been hand-forged but I don't think it was tempered properly as it does not hold an edge.

The major road-block to tempering at this point is that it is mounted in a section of elk antler, pinned with a brass pin and then the maker poured lead down the hole on either side of the tang.

Is there any way possible to temper this in it's current build?

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Possibly, you'd need an expert in differential heat treating. Generally differential heat treating is used after the entire blade has been treated and they use the differential heat treating to actually soften aspects of the blade to give the overall blade some flexibility. There is no real reason why it can't be done in reverse to heat treat the edge of the blade unless the quenching aspect poses the problem.

Not knowledgeable enough to give you any more of a definative answer, but it's worth investigating.
Rhys ap Ieuan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

If differential heat treatment doesn't work, you might still be able to disassemble it. A soldering iron and solder wick should suck up the lead, hopefully letting you drift out the brass pin. If the antler isn't also glued on, it might just come off at that point.

How easily does heat damage elk antler?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Antler and horn are essentially by-products of hair. They burn easily, and smell terrible.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Gods yes they stink with a mighty pong. O_O

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Still looking to get this done?
I can take care of that Albion moat blade, if you don't mind sending it back where it came from. ;)
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

For all interested, I'll be in contact with my local forge some time this week. We played phone tag over the holiday weekend. Hopefully I can get pricing and give out contact info for anyone needing a heat treatment on a blade. Stay tuned!!
Winter is coming