Orc fighting

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Orc fighting

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

I know that in this forum we talk alot about fighting styles from WMA, but I was wondering, as Rangers, what fighting style or skills would be used to fight what would be our primary foe, the orc. Since the orc can see in the dark, most fighting would be at night, or in tunnels, so how would that affect a system of fighting? Tactics play a part also, as orcs love to attack in large numbers, with allies like wolves and wargs and trolls. Since we Rangers of the North are few and far between, what force multipliers (yep, lifted from Andy!) would a single Ranger use to even the odds against an orc raid? Any and all comments welcome!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: Orc fighting

Post by Ernildir »

I think it depends on the specifics of the situation a lot of the time... what the enemy is equipped with, what we are equipped with, etc. The Ranger's Apprentice series is full of "force multipliers." Assuming a force multiplier is a means to even the odds. ;) Each book has usually a couple Rangers, a knight, and if we're lucky a small group of grunts against seemingly insurmountable numbers. And it's dealt with differently each time.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Not having read those books, I understand that the Rangers are a force maintained by a kingdom, yes? Much like the Rangers of Ithilien? The Rangers of the North, as I see it, are a much looser knit group of patrollers, often send on lonely patrols of perhaps two rangers or less for a vast area. The question is, what fighting style would develop from fighting an enemy on those terms.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Well, not quite a maintained force. More like an outspread group of elites/tacticians. There is a group of 50 active Rangers, one assigned to each fief of the kingdom of Araluen. The series follows one particular Ranger, and he is often accompanied by one or two others and a knight, but is perhaps just as often on his own. So it actually is closer to your vision of the Rangers of the North than the Ithilien Rangers arrangement. And I just had to fight back the urge to write the word "arrangerment."

Anyway, they usually just use advanced tactics to exploit the enemies' weaknesses. Another large part of it is not letting the enemy choose the conditions of the battle when possible. If we can choose the when and where we can set up ambushes, traps, and other surprises.

But I don't know what we'd do in tunnels. Run outside and hide in the trees, I guess. :P
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Ernildhir wrote:
But I don't know what we'd do in tunnels. Run outside and hide in the trees, I guess. :P
We'd send the young ones down with a candle and a long pointy stick :D

Ken
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I'd stay away from tunnels if possible, they are a death-trap for those who can't see well in the dark. If I had orcs holed up in a cave, I'd set a large fire just inside the entrance and hope there wasn't an alternate vent somewhere. If there was another vent I'd mark the spot and try the same thing sometime in the future sealing the vent hole before I set the fire.

Outside of caves and tunnels, our odds improve immensely. Lure individuals away from a main party by driving game before them or wait till one needs to relieve himself.

If there are multiple rangers, set up an ambush. If alone set up traps, trip lines. You can ambush with spear or arrow but only if you quarry is limited to 1 or 2 and then you need to be well out of earshot of the rest of their group.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I'm thinking hard about this topic. As a Combat Engineer my job was never to stop the enemy, but to use obstacles to slow him down and channel him into a certain area where a different unit (tank, infantry, etc) could hit him hard. But that works on a larger scale. We're thinking small scale now.

Perhaps booby traps that harrass, enrage and instill terror would be best as they would eliminate the enemy one by one?

Angarth's tactic in the "Two Axes" ( a head on charge against a superior force) failed miserably. :(
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

I have two philosophies, one:Never play the enemy's game (if they like the dark take them in the light, if they like tight places get them into the open basically you pick the battlefield.). Two: If you're fighting fair your tactics suck.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Jonathan B. wrote:I have two philosophies, one:Never play the enemy's game (if they like the dark take them in the light, if they like tight places get them into the open basically you pick the battlefield.). Two: If you're fighting fair your tactics suck.

AGREED!!! It goes along with the old saying, "Never bet a man at his own game." Make the enemy fight your battle.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Rhys ap Ieuan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

If they are moving through or holed up in contested areas, I like the idea of attacking their log train. If they are bringing in supplies, you can destroy bridges, guard river crossings, and perhaps boobytrap roads. If they are using local resources, you can drive off game, maybe poison local water sources (hard to do & the damage to the area makes me cringe) and attack or harass small hunting parties.

The one nice thing about fighting in tunnels is that it limits the paths they can take to get to you. If you are one man against 5, you stand slightly better chances if they bad guys can only get at you one at a time. (Yeah, you're still probably not going to survive) Also, as I recall, they don't care for light & fire much, so a nice burning torch in your offhand may serve to balance their dark adaptation.

"We don't fight, we attack." -Apache pilot, who's name I can't recall
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

A couple things to think about:

It has already been said, but bears repeating: do NOT let the enemy choose the filed of battle. Hit them when and where you want to. Make sure you have good planned egress routes because a small group will need them when facing large numbers.

Obstacles: Make sure you keep some type of obstacle between you and them. Unless you like hand-to-hand with creatures larger and stronger than you, make sure they are going to have a difficult time getting to you.

Partners: Effective use of ambush techniques make a few rangers very dangerous. The first hits them and then pulls back. When the orcs follow the first ranger, the second hits them from a different direction. Just keep the harassment up.

Leaders: Look for the guys in charge and take them out. Orcs are not the smartest creature in Middle Earth. Take the thinkers out of the picture and you can sew a lot of confusion.

Booby traps: Place a few on the routes you expect the orcs to follow when they come after you. More obstacles and confusion.

Range: Don't get into close range if it can be avoided. We all like the bow...hit them at distance.

Location, location, location: Pick a spot that channels them in so you only have to face a few at a time...numbers count for less in restrictive terrain.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Just bring along a dwarf and a pack mule to load all the weapons and armor on after they are all dead!

"So what are we waitin for?" -Gimli
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I used to work with a guy who was a tunnel rat during the Vietnam war and he could tell stories that would chill your blood. You never snuck up on that guy either. I believe that Tolkien wrote of battles underground fought in pitch darkness during the War of Dwarves and Orcs, and that sounds horrifying.

As a Ranger, I would think that if your enemy can see in the dark, then you would have to train your senses to match as well. If you can't see with your eyes, then you can see with your ears, because even orcs have to breathe.

Ken
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Fighting orcs in dark tunnels, eh?

Well, for starters, I'd get me one of these:

Fighting in narrow tunnels would make a spear the perfect weapon. A bow, you can't aim with, a sword lets them get too close, but a spear keeps them far away, and allows you to hold them off in single file. The wings on this particular model would prevent orcs behind your most recent victim from pushing his carcass up the haft, bringing them closer to you and making the spear unwieldy. A winged spear, I think, would be the optimal choice for a head-on confrontation in the dark. NO room or time for slashing attacks. Quick thrusts into the chest, neck, or head, with a quick withdrawl to set you up for another. In a narrow tunnel, a Ranger so armed could make a stand for quite awhile in the dark. The trick would be avoiding arrows if the orcs had bows...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

Im wondering if as rangers we could employ gurilla tactics geared specificly towards orc raiding parties, ( assuming force multipliers such as the bow and possably use of booby traps. )? you know send out advanced scouts to gather intell on orc movements. then plan attacs and ambushes at points along their routs? :? like previously stated make the fight out war on our terms. I do like the spear idea greg. ( edited again for lack of spelling skills)
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?