A Rangering Recap

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Ernildir
Haeropada

A Rangering Recap

Post by Ernildir »

Greg was visiting LA last week (or is he still here? O.o) and we met up to do a bit of Rangering. And we have pictures! :lol:

This is probably my favorite, just because the lighting is so awesome. I think it will have to be my new desktop background.

"No... no, I'm pretty sure I saw a troll under here, guys."

Meandering.

"That's right, guys. Why don't you just take a little nap in there. I'll stay outside and take the first watch. Goblins? Pssh. Whoever heard of goblins dragging people into underground rifts in the middle of the night?"

Dramatically gazing at something.

Tricksy traveling.

Shooting up a couple hay-bales.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: A Rangering Recap

Post by Mirimaran »

Outstanding pics, one and all! Great locales and it's good to see Rangers using their garb/equipment! Nice needs-pouch, Greg :D

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Nicely done, Gentlemen !
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That is a great looking group of Rangers!

Very inspirational gentleman!

As I am somewhat new to this, what do you guys do when you go rangering? Is it just a garbed hike, or are there objevtives?
I am not sure if you may have done this before but I would love to read a narrative of exactly what goes on from start to finish! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Typically (and I use that term loosely), for me, it involves spending a night or two in the wilds. This particular instance was just a hike, a stop at the archery range, and just general learn-as-we-go kind of stuff.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Wolf
Wayfarer

Post by Wolf »

very cool
Greg

Post by Greg »

Ringulf wrote:I am not sure if you may have done this before but I would love to read a narrative of exactly what goes on from start to finish! :mrgreen:
Definitely been done. It's an old post, but it's a prime example.
http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... +Trip#p416

Eric and his Brother are both very much motivated. They're eager to learn, and not afraid to get a little dirty. Eric's a pretty good shot with his bow already, which is more than we can say for a lot of teens, and his brother picked up quickly. The hike took us around to two separate locations in the LA Foothills, one affectionately called "The Bearcave" and the other, a three-tier waterfall which is pictured being climbed via some ropes that I actually had the pleasure of installing about four years ago, working at the day camp in the area. Had a great time. Next time 'round, hopefully my quiver will ahve been re-done so all the straps fit, and I'll actually know where my cloak is!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Really cool looking trip! I NEED to get out into the wilds before the end of the season.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Eric C wrote:Really cool looking trip! I NEED to get out into the wilds before the end of the season.
Who says fall is the 'end' of the season? Fall/winter are when I get my motor going! It's too hot to trek for a lot of the summer (and the midwest shouldn't change that...I'll swap dry heat for humid heat.)
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Since it has been in the upper 90's to 100+ with incredibly high humidity most of the summer here, we've done very little in the way of getting out into the wilds. The closest thing we've done was get into the yard for the photo contest. :oops: We've gotten into a pattern of really hot summers and really cold winters. So I'm expecting things to be cold again this winter.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh that's true Eric... I wish Fall/Spring temps lasted longer hehe
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I have a hard time getting into the wild from the end of June till the end of August, unless I am up to my neck in water.

We try and get out in the evenings or early morning and weekends we have been shooting and throwing out at the ranch regardless of the heat and bugs

Still, I can't wait for the cooler weather.

I am in the wilderness from the begining of Alligator into Teal season and on through to the end of January hunting anyway.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Great work guys. Looks like you had fun.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Looked like something right out of the film!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.