Regional Ranger Rendesvous?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Regional Ranger Rendesvous?

Post by Eric C »

Hey, that's alliterative! :D What's plural for rendesvous? Rendesvouses?
OKay, seriously. I wish we could all load up and get together to learn from each other. But that's close to impossible. Most of us are spread across the US. One of us is in Greece and at least one of us is in Iraq at the present. Then there are the logistics of loading edged weapons onto airplanes . . . or at least trying to before we get carted off for lengthy interrogations then put into the lookey bin never to be seen again. So, an overall ranger rendesvous is out of the question.
But I've played around with this idea for a couple of months now and just haven't posted it yet. What if we all chimed in with our location then started linking up for regional meetings? I'm thinking of starting late winter?early spring. Let's find out who's interested, what is going to make up a region etc . . . and go from there. After that, we can start linking up in our areas and start planning.
So the first step is ROLL CALL! Who are you and where are you from?
Eric Cartrette: Louisburg, NC

Edited to add: Please, when you get someone's e-mail, don't send them a bunch of forwards they didn't ask for. That can be real annoying.
Last edited by Eric C on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Mike Capanelli
Nesconset, NY
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Pete Remling Hudson Valley NY

Actually Mike had brought up the same thing when I met up with him 1 week and a 1/2 ago. We were thinking the Spring and in a 200 mile radius, there are at least 5 us us here.
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

Jonathan Stitt
Bangor, Maine
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

You know i was thinking of Maine as a perfect place to have this. There's some nice secluded camping spots there for sure.
Winter is coming
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

MAN! You guy have your group then! That's great!
I'm going to start today working on recruiting a friend of mine that needs a hobby. He is really into the outdoors and his degree is in forestry. But like myself, he got stuck working at a sawmill to pay the bills and keep the orcs-I mean bill collectors- off the doorsteps. I know of one other on this site that is in my area. He'll either see this or I'll send him a message.
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Doug C - Portland, OR sort of.(moving around a bunch)

I know its not an exciting prospect but by purchasing the appropriate weapons case you can protect and lock up your edged weapons and check them onto airlines. I only know this because my girl competes in Korea for the US horseback Archery Team and she brings her bows, arrows, and the occasional sword or such to/from korea. It just takes a little researching, and a but of forwarning so the airport people dont freak out when you get there. We could claim its a Middle Earth Ranger convention and get together. Sometime for a big excursion.

In that case I'd say Maine, eastern New York(I think?) or central Washington would be my top picks.
Last edited by hesinraca on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hensinraca: That's really good information about weapons and airlines. In the distant but not too distant future, as Gareth said, I'd love to have a huge get-together. I'm not joking when I say this, but maybe by 2010, I'll have become the published writer that I've dreamed about for 25 years and stop just talking about it. Then perhaps my schedule and HOPEFULLY the cash flow will be a little better. But for now, the key words are "save up."

I have heard that Washington State is a beautiful place. I was told by a fellow forumite that around West Point in New York (you guys who are from there can fill me in on where that is) is very Tolkeinesque in appearance.
But for this coming up year, let's focus on getting a few of us together and we can dream of how to get the vast majority of us to where we need to be for the big event.
A few things I was thinking of:
1 I said late winter/early spring: Let me clarify. Here in NC the weather is usually pretty mild. I am not a real fan of cold weather. But late winter is starting to warm up enough to have a gathering. Now, wherever you may be, there could be 3 feet of snow or more on the ground in mid-spring. So, you have to use your own judgement there.
2 location, location, location: Where are you going to hold your gathering? Do you own enough land, or do you know someone who will allow you to bring swords and bow and arrows, or pretty much whatever you want? Or are you thinking of state or national parks where those things are prohibited?
3 Okay, you've called, e-mailed, met, e-mailed and called some more and the big day arrives. What now?: How about trade skills. You can coordinate among yourselves who can teach what skill, who is deficient on what skill, then have courses on those skills. Plan treks through your areas. Of course meals must be planned. What about music? Maybe I can break out that plastic recorder that is in the desk drawer beside me and at least be able to keep all hostile animals away through the night while the others cram earplugs into their ears so they can sleep. Or throw me to the hostile animals. Or, leave the music to others maybe.
These are just a few ideas to get us started. Please, those who haven't, check in and add to this list of possibilities.

P.S. Forgive my strange sense of humor lately. I set my arm on fire Saturday (mostly 1st degree, some 2nd degree burns, it's healing nicely now) and I have a cold on top of that, so there is a bit of sleep deprivation and a couple of meds that are clouding my thoughts lately.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Eric:

Sorry to hear about the arm. Glad to hear about the meds ! (Just Kidding!)

I believe part of your suggestions were discussed either here or on meranger, basically the group takes turns with specific jobs ie;cooking, foraging, fire prep and starting all are rotating jobs so everyone gets a chance. I believe it was also suggested that a leadership role also be rotated.

This will give everyone a chance to learn and train with skills they have mastered or need to.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Regarding the environs around West Point and the Hudson Valley, yes in some respects very Tolkienesque. I presume you got your info from David when he stayed at the Point, last year.

Not exactly what most people picture when they think of an area 50 miles away from New York City, but we have many forested acres, State Parks, lakes, streams, rolling hills and The Hudson River herself.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

near Youngstown, OH
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Figured I'd jump this up a bit.

Thought that if we decided to meet up now is the time to at least start looking for sites and time frames.

I'm going to make some inqueries regarding upstate NY.

Anyone else want to take a stab at their state or known environs ?

I suppose the next thing after a site and a list of who can go would be a list of who brings what and what things need to be redundent.
david lewis smith
Dúnadan

Post by david lewis smith »

Fort Bragg, North Carolina
lacking anything clever to say.......
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hey Dave! Not sure where Ft Bragg is :lol: . Thought I had another guy that might be interested in getting into the outdoors with us, but he wimped out on me.