Regional Ranger Rendesvous?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Sunderland, Pioneer Valley, Western Massachusetts.
Nandalad!
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

It'd be a hike for me but I could make WI. I could even offer up my back seat to anyone that lives in route to the site.
Winter is coming
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

I think it is natural for us to all want such a gathering in our own backyard (sort of an "anti-NIMBY" syndrome), which is great in that we at least all think highly of where we live! The other option of course would be to have everyone travel well out of their way to attend, so we all know we worked for it... ;)

My own suggestions are rather a distance from where I now reside, but I'd rather look to an ideal than to convenience. Firstly, I will echo the suggestions for both Maine and the Pacific Northwest - both are ruggedly beautiful and offer the type of environment and terrain coupled with solitude and accessibility which would be desired.

My own somewhat biased primary choice however would be the Adirondacks of New York, where I've spent some time. The six million acre Adirondack Park is the largest in the Continental US, replete with all sorts of mountains (Mount Marcy, at 5344 ft (1629 m) is the tallest in the state), rivers (6,000 miles worth), lakes (more than 3000 to choose from), and places to explore including a half-million acres of true old growth forest. It also has a long and proud tradition of guides, whom I view as sort of an analogue to the ME Rangers - expert woodsmen, hunters, and knowing their lands better than anyone else. The downsides are the blackfly season (May/June) and getting there (there are no major airports nearby). Anyway, try an image search and tell me it doesn't fit the bill.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I think I could drive to New York in a day to day and a half. I have heard that it is a beautiful territory.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I agree with those who are partial towards the Pacific Northwest, as I can vouch that it is simply amazing country with all of the rescources necessary to survive, but at the same time, the rocky terrain that it is seems far less Tolkienesque than the deeper forests found out east, where it seems most of you are. The forests here on my end of the map are deeply wooded, yes, but are also far more rocky, with massive mountains jutting up throughout. It is very difficult to maintain any sort of straight line while traveling, making cross-country trekking incredibly tedious. The fastest way to travel winds up being on existing trails, and trails mean other people. In short, a gathering on my end of the continent wouldn't be able to travel very far were we to plan a several day trek. In that same line of thought, further south on the west coast, where I am, the forests are significantly more tolkienesque, but lend themselves to countless trails, access roads, and, naturally, wandering tourists and day-hikers. Avoiding detection by said patrons of the area is certainly excellent practice, and because of it I'm actually just as paranoid/alert to my surroundings as I am relaxed when out in the woods, but it becomes bothersome.

Regardless, if anyone eventually pops up on these boards in my neck of the woods...

Glendora, CA
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Just out of curiosity, what would the timeline or training schedule look-like for this-here gathering? Our SCA group has been batting around a primitive hiking adventure, day-trip event, maybe even a short Sat-Sun overnight expedition. Nothing firm, but this sounded similar to what was suggested here.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I think at least a 2 month advance date should be picked out as folks would have to put in request off time or plan that far out. Not only would you need time to plan the date but who would carry what. If their were even 4 people attending you wouldn't want each to have to cook their own meals separetely. Meals, cookware and some other needs, like first aid, should be planned in advance, so there is limited duplication but no adverse surprises.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

I wasn't looking for specific date planning or arrangements, but more along the lines of how would the weekend look for classes, training, and activities.
i.e.
Fri:
17:00 Intial Link-up at the Fallen tree down yonder
17:00 - 18:00 Mov't to 1st patrol base
18:00 dinner
19:00 Make camp/patrol base...

Other stuff:
Archery range
thrown weapons
stalking lanes
ambush class - application
etc, etc

You get the point. What would we do at the event/adventure?
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

All sounds great guys but I would need a bit more gear first.

Willie Everett
Cumberland Maryland.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Spoken like a true reenactor. No matter how much gear you've made or acquired, chances are, you're always going to want just some little thing more.

Problem is, as rangers, we're supposed to stay mobile. So much for that idea...I just spent $60 at Tandy Leather.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

Yeah as of now I have a knife and bow that fit the look everything else is very modern. Once I change the handles on my combo set and make a new sheath Ill still have about 15 or so items short :(. But its a work in progress.

http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww290/Willrett/
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

That's all any of us are, a work in progress. Don't wait until you've got everything, just get out there man!!! I have an A-frame canvas tent from my Civ war reenacting days that I use at the present. It's not very mobile, that's for sure. My arrows have plastic nocks. I carry an Ari Force survivla knife on my belt. There are plenty of things in my kit that aren't appropriate for the ranger persona at the moment and with the lay-off, I can't justify spending money on it at the moment either.
Just get out and train and enjoy yourself.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Don't wait until you've got everything, just get out there man!!!
Best advice ever. I'm doing a nighthike tonight to break in my newly made cloth bracer buffers (don't know what else to call them...I sewed some bracer-shaped pieces of cloth to go between my skin/shirtsleeves and bracers) and the newly altered cloak I got off of mcapanelli. Still wearing jeans, but it's one heck of a time.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.