Indy Moot 2011 - RECAP and PICS Now Included

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Indy Moot 2011

Post by Greg »

dwayne davis wrote:If (big if ) i can secure time off i would defenetly love to come, it is time we all started getting together. :D
Any update on your availability? We'd love to have you!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Drogo Greenhood
Wayfarer

Post by Drogo Greenhood »

Great site there in Indiana! Alas I will not be attending, but I was made aware of this by Odigan (credit to him), and have considered it. I am sure it will be a most impressive gathering of rangers. However I will take this opportunity to extend an open invitation, year-round to ALL MIDDLE EARTH RANGERS to come camp or visit 'HARPERS FAERIE' (Harpers Ferry, WV middle of the Appalachian Trail in the Tri-State DC area). Although I have traveled far to distant lands as a ranger, I learn and practice most of my skills here in my home area. I grew up next door to the Headquarters for the National Park Service / Appalachian Trail Center. I build organic shelters, have knowledge of the land and its peoples, and grow guard-inns of edible plants, herbs, and i study what most call weeds. Sorry to disturb the topic, but i do so as it is current and rangers are reading it; but i can repost my open invite in another forum if need be. Here is a list of several related postings for ye' potential curious rangers: http://scodpub.wordpress.com/category/s ... c-gardens/
Blessed Be, the Hooded Hunter.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Drogo Greenhood wrote:However I will take this opportunity to extend an open invitation, year-round to ALL MIDDLE EARTH RANGERS to come camp or visit 'HARPERS FAERIE' (Harpers Ferry, WV middle of the Appalachian Trail in the Tri-State DC area). Although I have traveled far to distant lands as a ranger, I learn and practice most of my skills here in my home area. I grew up next door to the Headquarters for the National Park Service / Appalachian Trail Center. I build organic shelters, have knowledge of the land and its peoples, and grow guard-inns of edible plants, herbs, and i study what most call weeds. Sorry to disturb the topic, but i do so as it is current and rangers are reading it; but i can repost my open invite in another forum if need be. Here is a list of several related postings for ye' potential curious rangers: http://scodpub.wordpress.com/category/s ... c-gardens/

I may have to take you up on this sometime, I live in Cumberland Md so i'm about 2 hrs away.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I may be able to swing that too on one of my trips up north to visit my sisters just outside of Annapolis. Though sadly timing may be better toward the spring as the holidays can get a bit hectic. :twisted:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

Drogo, that sounds like a neat place. This "Gatherings" forum is for just such opportunities. Go ahead and start a thread in here so you can tell us about the place in a bit more detail.
Drogo Greenhood
Wayfarer

Greg wrote:Drogo, that sounds like a neat place. This "Gatherings" forum is for just such opportunities. Go ahead and start a thread in here so you can tell us about the place in a bit more detail.
Thank you Greg! I will do that, I am trying to get over my hesitancy to post in this group. Thank you all for your understanding as I attempt to join in. I am slowly understanding how this site works, with your help.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

It takes a little while, I have not been here long either and it was full of starts and stops! But the people on this site are kind, patient and fortunately forgiving of mistakes, so be welcome and plunge ahead unfettered by worry! It's all good! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Drogo Greenhood
Wayfarer

Thank yee, Ringulf the Bold! :) :shock:
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

Hey Greg. still trying at work but its lookin doubtfull this time anyways.( but im not givin up)
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hokay, update time.

We're a week and a half out, and the attendance currently is looking like myself, Jake Book +1 guest (who recently joined the forum, I believe), and Odigan. Lori may drop by, but work has her pretty tied up. If anyone else expects that they'll be atending, please let me know asap.

The final word on admission is that my boss (the owner) would like $5 per night per person. As far as camping fees go, particularly with what we're getting away with, that's a steal. If anyone has a major problem with that, let me know, but I think that's perfectly reasonable.

I'd like everyone to shoot for meeting up at the office and be in the process of getting checked-in by 430-5 pm on Friday. That'll give us time to get to the location without being stuck in the dark, without leaving without me (before I get off work!)

The address is here:
2620 Valley Branch Road Nashville, IN 47448

You'll see an "Explore Brown County" banner at the driveway. Pull in there on the right, and follow the dirt road about 50 yards to the fork. Take it right and park immediately.

You will park on the right side after entering, in front of the large red barnline building. At the office, you will tell them you're with Greg's "outback" group, and you'll pay your $10 for the two nights there. Please PM me your full real-world name so I can have you on the list. After you check in, hang around the front there until we're all there (I'll be there all day...it's my job), and we'll sort out where my boss wants us to park, get geared up, and head on out. You don't have to arrive dressed; there are restroom facilities where we can all gear up and once to avoid excessive attention, which could hinder us getting under way.

Weather.com shows that it'll rain on the wednesday before, but that it should be sunny and/or partly cloudy through the dates of the trip (HUGE sigh of relief). Huh-freaking-zah.

FOOD:
Everyone needs to supply themselves with food. I'd recommend dry, boilable hot foods such as oatmeal or other hot cereals for breakfasts, dry trail rations that need not be cooked for lunches, and then whatever cookable dish hits your fancy for dinner. You should plan for one light dinner on the first night, two breakfasts, one lunch-on-the-move, and one more labor-intensive dinner. Doesn't HAVE to be a fancy dinner; those are just what I expect to have time for based on the day's activities and our proximity to base camp.

Dress warmly, please. Thermal base layers aren't period, but you can bet I'll be wearing mine. It's been dropping down into the 40's, and may be hitting the high 30's by then in the evening. We'll have a good fire going, and if it gets too cold, we may do a rotating watch to keep the fire going through the night, but I'd rather not. Bring appropriate sleep accomodations; tarps/tents advised, period preferably, but NOT mandatory. BE COMFORTABLE AND SAFE before you're historical!

I'd like everyone to take some time to teach at least one skill during the course of the day. I, for one, will be seeing about teaching some speed shooting archery techniques, but if you have something to share on the topic, I'm all ears. You don't have to be an expert (heaven knows I'm not)...just share what you know, and we'll learn together.

Any questions, please let me know ASAP. Anyone else wanting to come, let me know soon!

Cheers!

Greg

PS:
REMEMBER! EVERYTHING you bring you have to carry BY YOURSELF. I doubt anyone else wants to weigh themselves down. Pack light; this IS a Ranger moot, after all!
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

Hey Greg, Looks like i wont be gettin to go ( this round) but BUT i am hopin for the next gathering at any rate. its very hard to get time off.
Greg

Post by Greg »

That's fine, Dwayne. I'll try to get you all some more advance notice next time 'round. If you find some time and would like to come on up during this snowy season at all for a day or overnight trek in the white stuff, let me know and we'll work something out. Otherwise, plan for another Indy Moot for spring-ish, and we'll see what we can do.
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

i get time off greg ill give you acouple days notice, a trek through the white stuff sounds good.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Folkes, aside from the normal "take plenty of pics" admonishment, I'd suggest you stage and take some pics for the next upcoming Photo Contest. Topics have not yet been decided but they will probably be similar to those used in the past.

Have a wonderful time !
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

aaawwww man! This sounds so GREAT!!! If only we didn't live half way across the world I would so be definitely coming! (I feel so lonely over here :( ). Anyway guys have a great time and take loads of pics remember! (despite cameras not being quite 100% ME). Oh and make sure you get A LOT of pics!! :D

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.