Thrown weapons target for my Axes

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Thrown weapons target for my Axes

Post by Ringulf »

I made a target for our upcoming demo in the Shire but I intend to thoroughly "test" it with my knives axes and spears!

Last edited by Ringulf on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Thrown weapons target for my Axes

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice, I like the full torso profile.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Does the axe have to be specifically balanced or is it a certain way of throwing it?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Any axe or knife will throw. Lumberjack competitions have contestants throw double bitted felling axes, while Mountainman gathering compete with tomahawks. The Franks used small throwing axes and were so feared the weapon bore their name " francisca ".

The principle thing to keep in mind when throwing is the length of the spin, how much distance does it take the thrown weapon to turn 360 degrees. This tells you how far away you should be to throw and have the weaqpon stick. When practicing you will use the weapon to determine how far to be away from the target. Once you build up confidence in your throwing ability you then need to practice at different distances and also learn to judge distances. You will not always have a clearly defined distance from the target.

There are several good posts and sites to give you a good indicator of spin. I'll try and find one of the better ones and added it to this post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLT4tSLU9G0

The first is an instructional video by Avery Pierce. Avery is not only a great thrower but a good instructor. I have 2 of the axes he has forged.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very nice Pete You covered it all. And that was a cool link that led to a few more!
The ones I normally throw are some cs norse hawks and fronteer hawks but I have two larger ship axes that I throw in tandom and the one I just rehafted my first hawk I ever had my Granpa gave me and taught me on. Now my 30" green axe that you may remember from the Florentine pair thread, it throws all right when you get the rotation down and can actually throw one handed, but it seems to fly better when I throw it lumberjack style with both hands on the handle over my head.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Our youngest loves throwing. We picked him up a nice set of throwing knives and are working on getting him a couple axes and a spear or 2 as well. We still need to build his throwing targets though.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

I tried in the back yard against a piece of old would just now.. and guess what, it worked!!! I hit it 3 times out of five correctly. The wood was an inch thick and the axe just broke it in two... a flying axe has some serious power behind it!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I like your target Ringulf, but I'd just like to throw out there that the end of a large log or a slice out of one makes an excellent target, if anyone wants to get into throwing. Throwing blades in-line with the grain protects tcts the target and keeps it from splitting, as well as makes the blades stick in easier, wh Pete, Rinich means less shock gets transferred to the handle wood (in the case of an axe), keeping it from splintering on impact. I used to have something like this back in Cali, without the stand:

I'm with Pete, Ringulf. Love the torso shape.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ah! There is nothing that can beat a nice big round cross cut log as long as it is the size you need. I learned on that type and found it really helped my acuracy. If I am able to set up my roving course for axe throwing that is exactly what I had in mind! It is so much easier to just saw off a section and mount it when it gets to pulpy!

I made my "Man Targets" to be big enough for beginers at the SCA events.
And it is good that we can replace the chewed up 2x4's. Down here nice big sawn cross sections are kinda scarce. Unless you like palm!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Well we got rained out on our first attempt at doing the SCA demo here in Deland Florida, but last weekend we held the raindate (and it still rained for part of it!)
However it was quite succesfull as it was a chance for folks to see and understand a bit more about the SCA, medeival life and crafts and yes some Rangering!
I was in charge of Archery and Thrown Weapons on the demonstration level and was able to do some shooting with several types of bows (longbow, recurve and Horsebow) as well as breaking in the new "Mantarget" with my axes. I am happy to report that although he took some damage, he held up nicely and the repaceable 2x4's will be replaced in time for the next event (about two weeks)
The screw eyes on the feet with the rebar stakes worked out perfectly and the only adjustment I am going to need to make is to trade up to screws from nails as far as the frame fastenings go. I put a pretty descent broadside into the thing each time. For demo's I throw two Francish axes, two Norse hawks, and a set of tandem bearded ship axes in at one time.
The hardest part in all of that, is placement so you don't destroy your handles! There were a few strikes but no major damage on anything.
I seemed to be sticking well over 80% and that was impressing the crowd enough to make all happy.

Now that I have cleaned up, made my repairs and resharpened, I am looking into a few sawn logs as was suggested by Greg. These are going to be invaluable when setting up the course to shoot at different distances over about a 45 degree arc. (standing in one spot with three tagets set between 9 oclock and 12 oclock set at one, two and three rotations).

Should be interesting, I will keep you informed and get out pics from the last one when I get them. :mrgreen:
Le-Loup
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Le-Loup »

Here are two of my targets for tomahawk/axe & knife throwing. You could use a full log instead of a split log for the main stand. I used an auger to make two holes at an angle, one in the stand, and one in the target. Then I inserted a peg. In this way it is easy to renew targets, and there is no metal or wire involved.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Ringulf wrote:I made a target for our upcoming demo in the Shire but I intend to thoroughly "test" it with my knives axes and spears!
I like it! Good one.
Robert Frost.

Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

I need to make an instructional video, but this is one I made a while ago on tomahawk/axe throwing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E18juRVmy_k
Robert Frost.

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very, very nice! I saw the targets in one of your other videos and was hoping to see some throwing! I certainly like the idea of just sinking a split log and pegging up a nice thick cross cut trunk like that!
My Man target was made primarily for portability, to get it to events and demos for SCA and using it in the backyard for practice.
Living in a small suburban community in Florida I have to keep my options open!Perhaps soon though, I will have the type of wooded area I would like to do it the old way! :wink: