Storing gear and kit

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Storing gear and kit

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask for awhile now; where do you store or keep your gear and kit? Mine is spread between three rooms and a storage building at the moment due to a certain 18 month old lol but I've been thinking of a nice cedar chest to store items in. Some items I have on display, such as my Ranger pipe which has a nice stone-like stand. What does everyone else do? Love to see pics!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Storing gear and kit

Post by Jon »

I use a leather chest in my room that used to be my dad's when he was a boy!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Most of my stuff (clothes and small accessories) hangs in the downstairs coat closet under the stairs. The rest is on a shelf in my closet upstairs or in a plastic tote in the garage. The wooden chest is a project I need to finish when I get the time. Been meaning to do that for too long now.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

This is an interesting thread but I'd caution anyone who uses their real name not to give out that information on any open site, particularly if weapons are involved.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I...well, close to hand, some of it. Other pieces are a little further off. I decline to be specific. :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Peter Remling wrote:This is an interesting thread but I'd caution anyone who uses their real name not to give out that information on any open site, particularly if weapons are involved.
Ah well perhaps it is best just to delete the thread then.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Mirimaran wrote:
Peter Remling wrote:This is an interesting thread but I'd caution anyone who uses their real name not to give out that information on any open site, particularly if weapons are involved.
Ah well perhaps it is best just to delete the thread then.

Ken
Not necessarily, if the poster has a display and doesn't use their real names, I'd love to see pics.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Mine is on my armor stand or hanging on various hooks around the house.
jbook
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by jbook »

I keep all of my reenacting gear in a chest and just hanging about here and there. I'm honestly a bit dis organized. Because I reenact several different time frames of the 18th and early 19th century, and some of the clothes over-lap its hard to keep everything separate by time period.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Well since Erich nor I are using our real names on any forums... we don't have an issue with it hehehe
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

My Ranger garb itself is on a set of hangers inside a substantial folding garment bag. When the bag is unfolded, it hangs up in a closet like a normal hanger. When it is folded, it's like a large briefcase, perfect for travel. I've got a few cedar blocks inside the bag to keep moths away from my wool, same as my pipe band uniform/kilt and other goodies. My works-in-progress, materials, tools, and leather scraps are all in a large drawer at the bottom of a chest of drawers that has our TV on it in the living room. I try to keep it all in the drawer and the closet...but projects migrate all 'round the house. Right now, my canvas cloak is spread out on the living room floor waiting for a pile of walnuts to finish steeping in water to dye it brown, and there's a pile of leather scraps on the couch big enough to remove seating for two. And then there's the kangaroo hide I've been shaving with a razor blade to make hawking jesses and a new hood on the kitchen table...

Sometimes things just don't go according to plan. *chuckles*
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

After the move, the wife promised me a whole closet for gear! (Which is good, because right now it's scattered all over the apartment, in my car, on my desk...)
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

hehe even with our extra closets, we still have stuff everywhere in the house LOL
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Dailir

Post by Dailir »

Where do I store my gear? Better question is where don't I store it. :D
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
GreyWatcher
Wayfarer

Post by GreyWatcher »

Most of mine is in a footlocker. The type you take to college. It has a top tray where all the small goods go (tinder kit, fishing kit and some personal gear). The main compartment holds my clothes and pair of awful looking but comfortable boots and a bedroll, haversack and some eating/cooking utensils.

I have a sword (older Windlass model) a couple of knives and a camp axe, stashed in a secret compartment (a false bottom in the footlocker). It locks so I'm not too concerned with any of my roommates friends finding the sharps and there are no kids in the house.

I also have a walking staff with a steel band on the top.