Indy Moot Spring 2012 - April 13-15th

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Indy Moot Spring 2012 - April 13-15th

Post by Greg »

Greetings!

We had a wonderful time at the last Indy Moot, which happened last month (November) of this year. Since we had several others that were interested but unable to attend, I wanted to start planning a bit earlier this time around so we can make sure that everyone who wants to come can have the adequate time needed to request the date off, etc. Now that we've gotten the ball rolling out here in the Midwest, we have to keep it going and make 2012 the "most mooted" year in forum history. SO...

DATE:
For the time being, the date is set for April 13-15th.

Confirmed Attendees:
Greg +Shadow & Whitney
Lori
Odigan +?
jBook +?
Deadextra

The location will be the same; the hills of Brown County, IN, on a 1000-acre plot that includes the campground and Retreat that I work at. We, however, as before, will not be staying in the campground or using any of the amenities available. Instead of the site within one of the drainages leading to the lake where we were last time, we'll be a bit farther out, and will hike a different route up. We'll have more space, more deadwood to work with for shelters and such, and have some more fun areas around us to play in.

This ravine borders our planned site, which is a gentle slope for draining purposes that is to the right of the area shown. As you can tell, there is a LOT of fallen wood available for toying/building with.

This clearing is about 200 yards from the planned base camp, and will be set up as an archery range as well as for some sparring/training. Wasters encouraged/recommended!

Lastly, just around the corner on a nearby bike trail, there's a large stand of pines containing copious amounts of deer sign. We're going to do some tracking. Odigan, this stand of pines actually leads through the top end of the trail that winds up taking you to our site from last time, from the opposite direction (where I popped out after I helped my work out that afternoon.) Just to give you an idea.

Despite the fact that we'll be further out into the bush, the new route taken is a bit easier than last time, and only took me about 20 minutes to get there on foot from the base of the lake on foot, and isn't strenuous, so anyone interested is encouraged to try to join us!

Scheduling
Arrival would be between noon and four-ish on the chosen Friday (time yet to be decided), and we'd spend two nights, followed by breaking camp on Sunday morning and heading out at our discretion.

Cost, Rules, etc.

Cost would be $5 per night per person payable to Valley Branch Retreat, accompanied by a waiver to be signed. It's a little annoying to have to pay, but that's the cost of permission to carry. All blades of any length are legal, we can use the fallen wood and anything else we find to our heart's content, and I *WILL* have a Red-Tail which we can hunt squirrels with, etc. Lots of freedom, almost zero chance of encountering the public. Not a bad trade-off.

I'm not going to make any garb requirements, as we want to focus on getting together, practicing our skills, and learning from one another. I just ask that you make an honest attempt, and come in the best interpretation of any race of Middle Earth you can. We may or may not have hobbits present...we will have rangers...anything's possible, so come as you can. I'd encourage everyone to be as legitimate as possible, but I won't force anything. Participation is more important right now.

Activities to Plan for
We'll be holding at least one, if not two different archery contests, focusing on accuracy and speed, just for grins. We'll be going over some WMA basics at the very least, with potential for sparring, etc. Bring what you have available. Expect to be doing a fair bit of hiking, so wear good shoes if your period ones aren't up to it. We won't harass you too much. *chuckles* If you have a skill or trade you'd like to demonstrate, teach, or learn, let us know and we'll do our best to accommodate.

Food

Everyone needs to provide for themselves. Bring enough food (and something to cook it in) for two dinners, two breakfasts, and an on-the-trail lunch. I've found my water pump, and I'll bring it, but we won't be quite so close to the lake this time, so I may just get a big 5-gallon jug and plant it at the site location so we don't have to make a 1-hour trip every time we run out of water. Cuts down on the realism, but that'd cut down on our time for fun, and that's what this is all about, so there.

So now it falls to you all. Which of the two weekends listed would work better for you? The first half of March is blacked out because JBook and I expect that we will be busy with St. Patrick's day gigs and such. Please toss out a date, even if you're only mildly interested or not sure if you can make it, and we'll go from there. We're going to have a wonderful time. As of posting this, I already have confirmation of five total attendees. It will be worth the trip.

Cheers!

-Greg
Last edited by Greg on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Lori
Wayfarer

Re: Indy Moot Spring 2012

Post by Lori »

I will be there! I am glad you have no requirements for dress because I do not know if we will have my "gear" all done by then. That would be pretty sad if you had to turn away your wife :( :shock:
Greg

Post by Greg »

Spouses. God's greatest motivator!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Annnnd, yet again Uncle Sam screws this up. Really looking forward to making the trip up there one of these days, but won't be back for at least a month after this. Hope everyone has fun. Maybe next fall.

That being said, I need to look at a Carolina Moot of similar style.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Table Rock?? They held Yule there this past weekend!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Greg

Post by Greg »

E.MacKermak wrote:Annnnd, yet again Uncle Sam screws this up. Really looking forward to making the trip up there one of these days, but won't be back for at least a month after this.
We do day hikes randomly...if you 're willing to come up our way, let us know when you'll be around and we can put something together. JBook and I'll be in the same area.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

This concept sounds amazing. I truly wish I could attend. Unfortunately, I doubt it'll be feasible between work, other obligations, and my fairly consistent money issues. Not to mention the fact that I'm pretty sure my girlfriend would think I had gone crazy, and I'd never hear the end of it (she's not precisely the rangering type). But man, soooo tempting. Hopefully someday I'll be able to do something like this with you guys. Meanwhile I'll just have to live vicariously.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

Manveruon wrote:Meanwhile I'll just have to live vicariously.
There'll be plenty of these, so if you need to take some time to wear her down... *wink* ...there'll always be another around the corner!

What's your location, if I may ask?
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha, yeah I definitely think I'll need to at least try, because these sound great. I'm from Denver, Colorado, so it'd be a bit of a drive, heh.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

Oooooohh. Yeah, that's quite a trip. Andy's from Colorado, so when he finally gets back from wherever he is, you'll be in good company.
Gondian
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gondian »

I sound like a broken record, but My vaca time does not start until April 7th. I'm hoping you might plan another gathering later in the spring or early summer? Keep us posted. You all look as if you had a wonderful time.
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'm hearing lots of bits about April. Howzabout we change things up, and shoot for April, in the interest of garnering a little more attendance (and avoiding the melt, which could potentially make things rather muddy, runny, and gross in late March)?

What say you all to shooting for April 13-15th? Any takers?
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend as those are the dates we set for the Ranger Moot here in Vacca Del Mar in Florida. :(
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

Understandably so. Thankfully, the contingent within driving distance of here doesn't overlap with yours, so we won't be stealing each others' attendance.
Greg

Post by Greg »

After a little thinking, I've tenatively set the date for April 13th-15th. I know no one's pitched in their two cents' yet on the date, but it's three and a half months out, so just about no one has any plans yet for that period of time. If we sit waiting for everyone to give their input based on what they know if their schedule, it won't be set until there's not enough time to ask for the date off.

So instead, we're going to go with that weekend unless something huge changes in the next month or so. The first post in this thread has been edited to reflect these changes. Please now state yourself as planning to attend, if you are, and I will make a list of projected attendees in the first post to serve as a carrot hanging in front of the rest of your faces to encourage you to come on out!