Vacca Del Mar's Ranger Moot 1 Notes

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Vacca Del Mar's Ranger Moot 1 Notes

Post by Ringulf »

Well folks this is what we have so far, some of this may be subject to change as we get closer and any of your participation is welcome.

It is an SCA event and as such we will be charging an entrance fee to pay for the expenses, If the fees are difficult for anyone let me know if you would like to come and we can work something out. The other option is that a vender or teacher of a class can have their entrance fee waved. (still gotta pay for the gas and the grub sorry! lol)

If you are not a member of the SCA there is a surcharge but I am trying to get that waived for members of Merf since it is an open invitation to you as well.

The only part of the Tourney activities that would not be open to a non member (or for that matter members that are not authorized) Would be the Yoemans Challenge and the Florentine tourney as they require one to be authorized in their particular feild by the SCA and meet all standards of weaponry and Armor.

The Tournement Champion however need only participate in two events.

OK here are the notes:

Ranger Moot I

Description of Event:
The Ranger Moot is an event featuring all things related to being a “Ranger” or forester. This includes archery, thrown weapons, yeomanry (combat archery), light weapons, rough camping, woodsman’s skills, outdoor cooking, crafting of natural resources, such as leatherwork and carving, tanning, hunting, tracking and many other skills associated with being a ranger both in the SCA and as depicted in historical and fictional literature.

We are planning activities that center around archery, but there will also be activities for heavy and light fighters, a heralds and scribes point and a few arts and sciences competitions. We are encouraging merchants to set up shop and to offer merchandise related to being a ranger as described above. There will also be classes to help further one’s ranger skills.

Date of Event:
April 13 through April 15 with a multi-discipline practice following the event on Sunday afternoon.

Site Information:
ü Church of the Holy Presence, ____ N. Kepler Lane, Deland, FL
ü Site opens at Friday, April 13, 2012 at 5 pm and closes at Sunday, April 15 at Noon
ü {PRACTICE April 15 1 pm to 5 pm: Heavy, Light (maybe), Archery, Thrown Weapons (Practice open to public for observation)}
ü DRY site (for this event alcohol will not be allowed.)
ü NOISE curfew: Friday and Saturday evenings after 11 pm we are asked to keep the noise levels down due to close proximity of houses. The Church does not want any trouble with the neighbors and we want to be able to use this site again. For this event we are going to have to be conservative because there are some in the church that are a bit nervous about us using the site and camping overnight.
ü We have access to the bathrooms and kitchen. Possibly to the meeting room/foyer with the tables for Heralds/Scribes point. Rest of event is outdoors.
üWe will rent one port-a-potty at least.

Budget and Fees:
Budget is for estimated 50 adult attendees
Currently looking to charge $12.00 to $14.00 per adult for the weekend with $5.00 non-member surcharge
Currently looking to charge children $5.00 with the _________ non-member child surcharge
Children up to __ years are guests of the Shire

Feast fees are $10.00 per person and include 2 dinners, 1 lunch and 2 breakfasts. Leftovers served for Sunday lunch for those staying for practice. Friday evening open pit BBQ (BYOM) might do a stew – depends on budget

My Island Food Court is scheduled to attend and offer food alternatives as well.

Tables and chairs rental for feast possibly: $ (Could tell people to BYOT/C or use shire member’s t/c)

Schedule:
Friday:
5 pm Site Opens/ Troll Opens/ Arrive and set-up
7 pm Open Pit BBQ (Bring your own meat and a dish to share)
(May serve a stew or soup and bread, depends on budget)
9 pm Camp fire and Bardic Circle
11 pm noise curfew
2 am Troll Closes for night

Saturday:
6 am Troll Opens
7 am Breakfast served until 8:45 am
9 am Weapon Inspections / Range Opens / A&S competitions
and displays open / Register for Classes
9 am Heralds n Scribes point opens / Scribal competition opens
10 am Archery and Thrown Weapons Practice and Royal Rounds /
Classes Start (see class schedule)
10 am Heavy and Light pick-up fights begin in list field: “King of the
Bear Pitt”
11 am Ranger’s Tri-Tourney Begins:
11 am to 12:30 pm Woodsman’s Challenge
(ThrownWeapons Tourney)
12:30 to 1:30 LUNCH Break
1:45 pm to 3:30 Warden’s Shoot (Archery Tourney)
3:30 pm to 4:30 Yoeman’s Melee on the archery range
(Combat Archery)
4 pm Troll closes
4:30 pm to 5:30 pm Florentine Tourney (Rapier Tourney)
6 pm Ranger’s Moot presided over by the Captain of the Rangers,
Lord Captain Konrad
7 pm Ranger’s Traveler’s Fare (Feast)
9 pm Campfire Roast / Bardic Circle / drumming n dancing allowed
until 11 pm
11 pm Noise curfew

Sunday:
8:00 am to 10 am Breakfast served
9 am to Noon Clean-up site and pack out (Must clear parking area
and inside of church prior to their church services at
___________ am – clean up inside church best done on
Saturday evening)
Noon: Event closes
1 pm Practice begins for Archery, Thrown Weapons and Heavy
fighting. Will hold Rapier practice if we have a marshal.
Archery marshal: Brandwyn,
Thrown Weapons Marshal: Ringulf,
Heavy Marshal: Markus
5 pm Practice ends. Do final cleaning of site and go home.
(Possibly eat supper at the Chinese Buffet in town)

Feast Information:
Friday evening:
7 pm Open Pitt BBQ – Traveler’s are encouraged to bring a meat they can grill or cook over open fire and any side dish desired. The Shire will serve a soup with a piece of bread and apple butter.
Saturday morning:
7 to 8:45 am Breakfast consisting of Apple Bacon, Pumpernickel Bread, Scrambled Eggs, Coffee, Orange juice and milk (maybe apple turnovers if budget allows).
Saturday lunch:
12:30 to 1:30 Lunch consisting of your choice of Beef and Barley Stew OR Onion Soup, Chunk of Bread (Focaccia or Herbed Bread), Boiled Egg, Cheese, Drinks: Lemonaide or Sekanjabin or Water.
Saturday dinner feast called “Ranger’s Traveler’s Fare”:
7 pm to 9 pm dinner consisting of Roasted Wild Boar and Wild Fowl, Spinach and Cheese pasties, Beet Salad, Potato and Cabbage Onion soup, Pan fried bread with honey butter, same drink choices. (Venison meat pies if we have source and budget allows)
Sunday morning breakfast:
Potato Hash (eggs, potatoes and ham – leftover meats from feast), Pea soup with leftover fowl, coffee, leftover bread and any other leftovers from Saturday, hot coco, orange juice and milk.

The Ranger’s Tri-Tourney Information:
Woodman’s Challenge:
This thrown weapons tourney will consist of a castle siege exercise where contestants will throw 2 spears from 20 feet, 2 axes from no less than 10 feet and 2 from no less than 15 feet and 3 knives from no less than10 feet. This is to simulate a group of warriors rushing toward you and you must defend your position. If contestant misses twice at any stage he is eliminated. Highest score wins.
Prize: Honorary Spear and a scroll
Warden’s Shoot:
This archery tourney will consist of 4 rounds. Crossbows
are not allowed. Six arrows will be permitted.
The first round will be shot at 20 yards. The top 50%
scores will advance to the next round.
The second round will be shot at 30 yards. The top 50%
scores will advance to the next round.
The third round will be shot at 40 yards. The top 3 scores
will advance to the final round.
The fourth round will be shot at 20 yards with only one
arrow allowed per archer. The closest to a bulls eye is the
winner. In the event of a tie, each person will shoot one
arrow at the 30 yards (and then 40 yards respectively if
needed) until there is a winner. At 40 yards the arrow
closest to dead center is the winner.
Prize; Honorary Longbow and a scroll

Yeoman’s Melee:
This combat archery tourney will consist of a free-for-all
melee battle comprised of multiple 2-person teams. Each
team must have one combat archer and one armored
combat fighter.
1. The archer protects his fighter by taking out opposing
archers and fighters
2. The fighters defend their archer by engaging other
fighters in combat. Fighters may not strike an archer.
3. Archers can shoot at other archers and fighters. Fighters
can only hit another fighter.
4. When either member of the team is killed, that team is
eliminated and must leave the field. They must report to
the scoring marshal to receive their points based on the
order in which they were eliminated.
5. The last team standing is the winner of the Tourney.
Score points based on when they are eliminated – longer
they stay in the more points they receive.
Prize: An Honorary Shield to the fighter and Honorary quiver
to the archer along with scrolls.

Ranger Champion:
The Ranger Champion will be the person with the overall
combined score of the three tourneys and will have had to
compete in at least two of the three tourneys to be
considered. Prize: Honorary Hood

Florentine Tourney Information:
This light weapons tourney will be a round robin where fighters must
have a weapon or buckler in their off-hand. Prize:

Youth Archers:
Each archer under the age of 18 will receive a "golden arrow" for
participating.

Adult Archers & Throwers:
Practice will be held prior to the tourney (see schedule). Royal
Rounds will be conducted during the practice time. Each participant
(of any age) will receive a token for completing a royal round in
archery or thrown weapons.

Classes:
Fire Building and outdoor cooking: This is an overview of how to start and build a campfire and the types of foods, with some recipes, that are readily available to a ranger and can be cooked easily over an open fire.
May require a handout fee.
Taught by:
Fletching Arrows: Bring shafts and fletches and a jig if you have one or purchase from Sir Erica and learn how to fletch arrows using wooden shafts and real feather fletches as is required for tournament archery in the SCA. May require a kit fee.
Taught by: (Sir Erica’s Protégé and or members of MERF)
Basic Leatherworking: Learn how to cut and sew leather so that you can make pouches, shoes or other ranger gear. May require a kit fee.
Taught by: open
Herbal Lore: Learn what herbs make good remedies, what they look like and how to prepare basic field dressings as would be used by a ranger when out on the trail.
Taught by: open
The road to becoming a Ranger? This class is for those who would like to become warranted archery and/or thrown weapons marshals in the SCA. Find out what the requirements are so that you can advance in your art and become a Trimarian Ranger.
Taught by: TBA
The road to becoming a Combat Archery Marshal? This class is for those who would like to become warranted as a combat archery marshal in the SCA. Find out what the requirements are so that you can advance in your fighting and shooting skills and become a Trimarian Combat Archery Marshal.
Taught by: TBA

Arts and Sciences Activities:
Ranger Arts Tourney: Enter any art or science project that relates to being a ranger (either in the SCA or in historical or fictional literature. Your item(s) can be in any medium. You may enter more than one item. You may enter works in progress. Minimal Documentation is required and must include: The medium materials used, time period or literature referenced, a brief description of the item, your SCA name, how it relates to the Ranger theme. It may include additional documentation and photographic documentation. You may enter the item for the competition OR for “Display Only”. Note: if you indicate it is for “Display Only” your item may receive comments, but it will not be considered for the competition.
Prize:Commemorative !nk Well

Heralds and Scribes Point / Competition:
Herald’s and Scribe’s Point: There will be an area for heralds and scribes to gather to work on scrolls, research names and devices and advise populace on developing a persona, registering a name or device and rendering the devices on the submission forms. This area will be open from 10 am to 5 pm or until the tables and chairs will be needed for the feast set-up.
Scribal Competition: As with the Ranger’s Art Tourney, there will be a scribal competition as well. Scrolls must depict some aspect of the Ranger’s art which could consist of arrows, axes, archery targets, quivers, campfire, outdoor cooking, primitive camping, a ranger-like worded text, a scroll for one of the archery, thrown weapons or combat archery awards in Trimaris or of a Trimarian Barony or some other element that relates to being a ranger either in the SCA, in history, or in fantasy literature. Minimal Documentation as described above under the “Ranger’s Art Tourney” is required. Works in progress are acceptable. You may put it on display for comments as described above.

Prizes and Site Tokens:
Ranger’s Tri-Tourney Prizes: For Archery it is a handmade uniquely decorated longbow, for Thrown Weapons is a uniquely decorated spear and for Combat Archery is a uniquely decorated quiver to the archer and a uniquely decorated shield to the fighter. All of these items will be considered champion regailia and will be required to be turned in at the following Ranger Moot and passed down to the next champions. They will be marked with the champion’s coat of arms each year. In addition to these prizes, the winners will receive a scroll which they can keep, that declares them champions of that year’s Ranger Moot.
Ranger Moot Champion’s Prize: The person declared as the Champion
of the Ranger Moot will receive a uniquely decorated Hood
Florentine Tourney Prize: A uniquely decorated Rapier scabbard frog
Ranger’s Art Tourney Prize and 2 runner’s up:
Scribal Competition Prize: A uniquely decorated Ink well
Chivalry points: The Baron and Baroness (and any Royalty that
attend) will be provided with a limited number of clay arrow points
which they can bestow upon any gentle at the Ranger Moot whom
they feel has displayed courtesy, bravery, honor or chivalry.
Site tokens: Clay tokens with a sea cow with crossed arrows in Vaca
del Mar colors. Separate colors will denote feast from those who are
not paid for feast.
Royal Round Favors: Each archer or thrown weapons fighter that
completes a royal round will be given a token. These tokens are clay
and the design will be appropriate to the discipline in which the
participant performed.

Merchants:
Sir Erica’s, North Star Archery Supplies: Get your archery supplies here. She has everything from bows to shafts and fletches to accessories including everything you need to make tournament or combat arrows or bolts.
Nekbet’s Garb: Finely sewn garments at reasonable prices adorn this shop. Get your Ranger Cloaks and hoods here! She has everything from shirts to skirts, tunics and trousers in a variety of sizes.
My Island Food Court: From fine meat pies to soups and soft pretzels to sausages and pan fried cinnamon cakes, John le Irish can delight your palette and fill your belly.
Ringulf’s Axes, Seaxes & Pointy Sticks: Live weaponry both functional and decorative along with tack, gear and accutrements

(Any Merf Ranger interested is welcome, no vendors fees look at it as a Ranger swap meet, just get with me first so I can advertise if you would like publicity)

The Ranger Moot (court):
Introduction: The Autocrat, Ringulf, will address the populace and thank them for attending. (Points to bring up: announce Sunday practice, ask for help cleaning up after feast and before church, announce where to clear area out for church folks in the morning, invite all to stay for the bardic after feast, introduce Konrad)
Master of Ceremonies: The Captain of the Rangers, Konrad, will make any welcoming statements he wishes and then present the prizes to the tournament winners for all of the competitions.
Royalty: Should any Royalty attend that wishes to hold a court, this would be the time when they should do so. (Arrangements should be made ahead of the event if they wish to have a court here).

If anyone has questions please let me know or be welcome to shoot me a PM Thanks! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Gondian
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Vacca Del Mar's Ranger Moot 1 Notes

Post by Gondian »

April 13th is my birthday :P I will make every effort to attend
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Brandwyn
Wanderer

Post by Brandwyn »

As Ringulf has said, we are still working on the details and items may change a bit as we get closer to the event.

I know many of you are not familiar with the SCA events and may not be used to paying fees for your gatherings, so here are some explanations on why we charge what we charge at SCA events. The point of the fees is to break even on our costs, not to make a profit for the SCA. All money goes into the SCA Inc/ Vaca Del Mar bank account and is then paid out to cover our expenses. The exception is the non-member fee which goes to SCA Inc/ Kingdom of Trimaris and up to SCA corparate for insturance coverage.

We found out we cannot waive the non-member surcharge however. That fee is required by SCA Corporate law to cover the insurance rider for non-members who attend our SCA events.

The event fees cover the event expenses, such as site rental, portapotty rental, prizes and other less visible costs. The feast fee covers the food purchase and if you think about it, there are not too many places where you can get 4 meals for 10 bucks Nor where you can camp for 2 nights for 12 bucks or even for 17 bucks

That being said, I believe those who are willing to teach can be guests of the shire (complimentary - so you won't pay the site fee), but you will have to pay the non-member fee. ( I have to double check the rules on how many people we can comp.) If there is a limit - it will be first volunteers to teach/ first comped. But we are still looking into that.

I hope the fees do not deter you from attending what is sure to be a very fun event.

We will be putting up more info about what you should bring with you besides your ranger kit (such as tent, chair, feast gear, weapons to participate in tourney's, peace tie weapons on your person, tables / tent if merchanting and any other personal items you may want for camping in primitive conditions. You may bring your pets but they must be on a leash or caged even if well-behaved and you must clean up after them, this includes birds of prey for those of you who are liscensed to handle them!) Send me or Ringulf a PM if you have any questions.

If you bring minors (under 18) with you, you must be their parent or legal guardian and there is paperwork they must carry with them. PM me if you plan to bring children and are not familiar with Trimarian SCA laws. Those under age 13 will not be charged a site fee, but will have to pay for feast if they desire to be "on-board"

More info to come but I really hope I get to meet many of you at this Moot and that you have a great time if you attend.

Brandy
Brandwyn
"They are dangerous at both ends, and - crafty - in the middle." Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows (Robert Downey Jr. in character on the subject of Horses)
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Sounds like fun.. and we do play in the SCA hehe but April is when Erich might be returning home and our middle child should be leaving for Basic Training in the Army.. so just NOT a good month for me at all, in terms of any kinds of events or anything.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com