New Projects!

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: New Projects!

Post by Mirimaran »

Manveruon wrote:Thanks a bunch, folks! I'm pretty proud of all the projects! Next up is a large-ish coin purse made from softer leather (overstock leather from the film production of Pirates of the Caribbean, incidentally - random fact, heh), and after that the mother of all my new projects, a new quiver. I'm basing the quiver loosely on Aragorn's from the Peter Jackson films, and it's causing me a real headache trying to figure out how to construct it. Hopefully I can find a way that will yield a satisfying result. In the meantime, if anyone has any really good, hi-res pictures of his quiver, I would be hugely indebted to you!
Check out this thread:

http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... er&start=0 as I did a build of that quiver a few years ago and have a couple of pics of it. I'd do it much different today, I think lol just another example of getting better at skill-sets. My next quiver will be inspired by Native Americans, I think. I do have a couple of pics of the Strider quiver around and also the quiver accessory from the NECA 18 inch figure.

Here is a good pic of the Sideshow statue, before painting:

Good luck!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks! I've actually got that pic and a few others like it saved to my hard drive, and I perused your thread throroughly when I first started looking into the project. I just wish there were some really good, clear, hi-res shots of Strider's back. Seems impossible.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I ran into the same problem. Practically tore the gallery at the One Ring apart looking for pics, and at Alleycat's LOTR costume site and group. You can try to freeze images from the DVD's, and I bet that someone on the board here might be able to do that for you!

Good luck!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, I hear ya'. I got a couple semi-decent shots of his back from pausing the DVD when the Three Hunters set off to find Merry and Pippin at the end of Fellowship, but that was about it. What I REALLY need is someone with a super-amazing BluRay edition to take some epic screenshots. Which raises a good question... are they out on BluRay yet? I don't have a BluRay player, so I have no idea.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, those are awesome, thanks! Some of them are the same shots I nabbed myself, looks like. I just wish they were all about 5X bigger, heh.
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by deadextra »

Voila
Note here during the skirmish with the orcs in Moria he'd simply stuck the strung bow over his quiver.

There might be something in the extra disks of my four disk sets, but that's like 60+ hours of video to watch.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, I've got those sets too, and I've also been hesitant to comb through all that material, heh.

And yes, definitely seen these. Alleycatscratch is a great resource for this stuff. I just wish her pictures were larger and clearer. They don't really bring me any nearer to being able to figure out how the blasted thing is constructed :/
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I realize "He is just a toy! a childs PLAYTHING!" but there may be some usefulness in these, they did not spring up from the ground someone had info to make it!

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Heh... yeah... got those too actually. Seems my search was actually more exhaustive than I initially realized. Thanks for throwing them up here though!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

On another note, I finally finished that coin purse I was working on, and took some pictures! I've added them to my photobucket page here (they're at the top, for the moment at least):

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... 20Costume/

And then, after I finished that one, I made a second one just like it, and put it up for sale on Etsy here:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/91399856/br ... -hand-sewn

Man, I feel productive! :D

The purse is based on an extant medieval piece from the Museum of London, although the one in the museum of significantly smaller than mine. Still, I wanted to be able to fit my wallet inside, so I took some artistic license. This is probably the most historically-accurate piece of garb I own though, as it is based on a real medieval artifact and completely hand-stitched with waxed-linen thread. And I figure it's a perfect and handy bag for a ranger to carry with him on his travels!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I like that bag! You do good work! As for the quiver and such, do you have the Weapons and Warfare book from the movies? There's a pic in there of what I think is an alternative quiver for Strider. Also, they mention that his bow is a cut down version of a Gondorian longbow (!) and it's about 3 feet in length. I read a posting where the arrows that were on display are about 20 inches, so you can figure a rough estimation of the actual quiver size from that.

Ken
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Wow how does a Numanorian(DunadainI who are supposted to be tall and long of limb, draw shuch a tiny arrow? he looks like he has a full draw in the Chamber of Marzarbul, when they are waiting for them to break through the door! That is a nice scene if you can pause it several times to see his shooting style. and the proportions in the pictures don seem tiny (though the bow definitely is!)
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

That's a good point, friend Ringulf, and I think they were going for a Native American style of shooting, but when the bow is rubber... *S* a small bow does make sense for hunting in brush and the like, though.

Ken
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Oh yeah I can see the need for the smaller bow as a secondary/distance weapon for just such and occasion or a game getter. As the ranger of the group he most likely felt that providing for the larder was his job too (though having a Sylvan elf in the party doesn't hurt LOL) But I just did not see the congruence between that description and the way he was shooting it. to draw a twenty inch arrow with a Numinorian Frame would be like playing with a childs toy!
Brandwyn being the Hobbit she is pulls a twenty four inch shaft and I feel like freekin cupid when I try and shoot them. I feel like I have to draw them with thumb and forfinger and keep my bow arm bent!
Mybe another case of movie magic vs the books. :wink: