Howdy all

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Avery P.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Howdy all

Post by Avery P. »

Hello everyone. I think a couple of folks here know me, for those that don't I am Avery Pierce. My friend Alvin sent me a link a couple of days ago to the "axes" thread here, letting me know that a review of an axe I made him was linked here. I was kinda surprised to see my name mentioned in an earlier part of the thread so I thought I'd become a member and join the conversation.
First off, I really liked the riddle part of the sign up page, I thought that was a very cool addition. I've always been a big fan of the Hobbit and the trilogy, but never read much of the Silmarillion or his other work.
A bit about myself; not much to say really. I'm an axesmith and general blacksmith. Been making stock removal blades since I was a kid, and a couple of years ago I knocked a forge together to start on axes. I've always had a soft spot for the axe, more so than the sword. When I was younger, I competed in many axe throwing competitions and did a tutorial series on how to throw axes a couple of years back on youtube.
Well, that's about it fellas, glad Alvin showed this place, look forward to joining the fun.
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Howdy all

Post by Ringulf »

Avery is that axe throwing tutorial still on Utube? I throw also and am always looking for continued instruction. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

They are indeed. Here's a link to my youtube channel. The first two are just the basics, doubt they'll help much. But the backwards seven and 'hawk/knife combo might be of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/user/beastofburdenenterpr

Edit to add - there's also a blooper video that you might get a chuckle out of, and a couple vids of me just goofing around.
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi Avery!

Welcome to the group! I am sure you'll like it here. Now, I am wondering how come I've never met you, considering the fact that I live in Harmony as well lol. A very small world indeed!

Ken Rankin
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Glad you got registered ok, Avery. I'm on sort of the opposite boat as you concerning the books, my favorite is the Silmarillion, then the Trilogy and I never really liked the Hobbit. Tried to read it 3 or 4 times now and every time, I get about halfway through and put it down. This is probably because I read it after the others, so the change from the mature tone of the trilogy to the childish tone of the Hobbit was extremely jarring for me.
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Cool, I've seen those videos before! Mae Govannen!

Brian

P.S. Silmarillion is also my favorite...but I do also like the hobbit!

B.G.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

welcome to the group
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Welcome to the group.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Welcome to the MERF!!!

Our youngest child is an axe fan.. so will enjoy showing him more pics of axes.. of course he will want them all.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Morning and Welcome, Avery
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Well Met! You do beautiful work!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Avery, I haven't checked out the other thread yet, but I'll go right over there when I get done here. It's good to see a new member and another fellow smith on the boards! I'm just getting into axes myself, but am enjoying what I am doing so far.

Once I have a computer of my own again, I'll check out your vids on youtube.

Welcome to the boards!
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Mirimaran wrote:Hi Avery!

Welcome to the group! I am sure you'll like it here. Now, I am wondering how come I've never met you, considering the fact that I live in Harmony as well lol. A very small world indeed!

Ken Rankin

We should all live in Harmony! :wink:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Ringulf wrote:
Mirimaran wrote:Hi Avery!

Ken Rankin

We should all live in Harmony! :wink:
LOL There can be only One, I am sure :) Harmony is a nice place, it's like Mayberry without the top notch law enforcement. A great little town to grow up in during the 70's and dream about the world beyond.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Chirp chirp...It was a pun....damn, hard room! I knew I shouldn't have capitolised harmony.:(