Totin' The Leaf

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Totin' The Leaf

Post by Ringulf »

There is one thing that most Wizards, Rangers, Dwarfs and Hobbits can can all enthusiastically agree on.
The love of the Haflings leaf, well except for Saurumon, he's a killjoy! (but I noticed he had some stashed so Merry and Pippin could find it! (Purely medicinal my beard!)

Anyway with all the pipes I have been doing lately I was starting to get some interest from a few of my patrons for pipe pouches and leaf pouches. the little drawstring bags are ok but fall a bit short.

I also have been looking for a decent leaf pouch for myself so I checked the scrap bin at my local distributer in the Daytona Flea market "Byrds Leather" and they were kind enough to help me with a few interesting scraps.

I chose two very simple designs. One is a one peice, tryfold wallet and the other a viking design that is a drawstring type with a coverflap.

This is the drawstring pattern:

This one was made out of the back of an old leather purse I used the two little pouches to put on the back of my belt kinda Gimli style and used straps and all but had a nice big square from the back so it was repurposed. got a lot of stuff out of a 3 dollar purse from the thrift store (felt like a chop shop, the sum of the parts is sometimes greater than the whole!)

The belt with standard bicycle type barel pouch and the two "Gimli" pouches, for size that is a 3" wide belt.

The wallet was a simple saddle stitch up 2/3 of each side and a small bit of leather for a loop the toggle is a real wolf's tooth.

Simple but useful! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Totin' The Leaf

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Love it! I like that belt mounted draw string pouch with the flap. I was just looking at making something similar myself...I might add some heavier leather to reinforce the belt loop though. Very cool stuff.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I agree, that is one thing that I would do differently. This design would be better out of a thicker leather or suede so the belt slits were a bit sturdier. sewing in a heavier patch could fix this one nicely but it kinda kills the Whole, "I made it out of one piece!" buzz that I was initially going for! lol

Ah well next one!

Do make sure if you do it heavier that it is supple enough to flex and gather nicely the thin leather does that very well, but a full circle draw needs flexabilty so it can gather and belly, to cinch at top and bulge below.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Good looking stuff! I particularly like the wallet. The closure on that is almost the same as on my recent larger pouch, only mine uses a leather strap where yours uses the wolf's tooth. Either way, it's a great simple-but-effective closure method!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains