Getting snappy with snap sack's

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Getting snappy with snap sack's

Post by dwayne davis »

Mirimaran wrote:
Ringulf wrote:Awsome Dwayne thankyou!

And BTW, it was cool to see the Brooch pic on the photostream and I like the way you attached it. The loop and toggle method is perfect for this type of brooch!
:mrgreen:
I just saw that myself! You are right, friend Ringulf, that's exactly the perfect method. Any pics of you wearing the cloak with the toggle, Dwayne?

Ken
Hey thanks Mirimaran, Kalin. and i do have one pic from early winter of me in the cloak. it's a basic Viking style cloak, however the back can be pulled up arround the head and used as a hood if one neded to. Ringulf, the broach works well in this configuration too.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74968682@N ... hotostream
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

On the topic of sacks!

I bought some canvas weight linen a few weeks back with the intent of making a tarp. The weave turned out to be far too sparse to be waterproof so now I have 6 yards of 60" heavy linen sitting in my linen drawer. This is what I've made from it so far.
I was initially thinking of a sort of Shepherd's scrip, rather similar to the snap sack. My idea changed a bit to making more of a general purpose stout sack. The bottom edge of the fabric was cut at an angle so that I could fold the sides and point together and thereby not have a seam along the weight-bearing edge of the bag. To carry it, I tossed a pebble in a corner and tied a braided hem cord around the pebble, this is used to tie the top closed and as the carrying strap. This just gives me more options, a bag with a strap when I want one, and another cord I can use whereas a bag with a stitched strap is set to a use.

So there you go, it's now my food bag. I'm planning to put the rest in my bedroll.
Frothgar

Post by Frothgar »

Dead Extra-

love your design there. got an idea for you. replace the pebble with something valauble. they have this art clay stuff that you can mold and then bake and you are left with a pure silver (or bronze or gold i think) item. its fairly pricey. but you could get a bit, mold a couple beads or coins and use them as your line anchor. that way you've got a little bit of barterable currency hidden away.

i may do exactly that as soon as i find some of the clay.

Alternately, you could put some charm or item of personal worth. a trinket from home, an enemies tooth, etc. or, since it's a food bag, maybe a symbol or offering to harvest/ plenty/ grain gods.

thanks for feeding the creativity bug.

Frothgar
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Look in your local Micheals, JoAnns, HobbyLobby or such in the beading section you can find all kinds of these type of items. Though if you want to use the silver or bronze metalclay (which is very interesting to use but most of it requires a kiln) it can be found through the Nasco catalog.
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: