Cold Steel Seax project (continued)

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Cold Steel Seax project (continued)

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice ! Middle Earth survival knife... Where's the fish hooks and flint and steel ?
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Peter Remling wrote:Very nice ! Middle Earth survival knife... Where's the fish hooks and flint and steel ?
In the pouch on my hip. Couldn't figure out where to fit them on the knife or sheath. In a pinch, I have the linen thread though.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Did you make it a hidden tang or is it just on the outside of the seax?
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

It's hidden. Once the plastic handle comes off, the remaining tang is too narrow for my paws. In order to make it work, I added a thin leather plate between the handle slabs. There are actually 5 layers of leather hardened and epoxied together. The center is just thick enough to match the thickness of the steel. The 4 others are about 9-10 oz (9/64-5/32 inch). Once They hardened and were glued together, I was able to do some fine shaping. Tooling of course has to be done before the hardening.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Very nice. You've inspired me to go back to mine. I actually just cut the tang slots it off my two pieces of walnut and drilled the pin holes. Note just need to order some pins and apply some gorilla glue
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Ahh much better than trying to look at phone pics!!

Coming along beautifully!

Ohh am I going to have fun when you get home and work on mine!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Nicely done Sir! keep it up! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

looks great I need to get working on mine
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
sgainbrachta
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by sgainbrachta »

This is a repeat of a post I made, but figure folks here will be the ones who are most interested~ got the email this morning.

Cold steel has 18" seax and bowie machetes as seconds- $8 and $10.

A LOT of us crafty types use these to make our camp knives and the like. They are great steel, even if these ones are warped a bit (along the flats) they are a great deal...

http://www.ltspecpro.com/Product/97SA18 ... CONDS.aspx

http://www.ltspecpro.com/Product/97BW18 ... CONDS.aspx

Suilad, randiran~

Eadylferth/Robert in Reno
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Alrighty, I have gorilla glued my walnut pieces on and my brass pins inside. All thats left is shaping and finish!!!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Look forward to seeing it Daerir!
I am almost done with that other project for you, I will contact you soon! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

FINALLY IS NEARING FULL COMPLETION!!!!!!! After several long hours shaping and sanding, its now comfortable to grip. Now all thats left is to smooth it out a little with some fine grit, burn in some runes of course, and apply some finish to the handle!! That dark spot is where its still wet, i rinsed it off with some water. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Scabbard had to back to the drawing board since I didn't quite get the dimensions right. Got a chance to do some different tooling on the utility knife sheath.
Attachments
100_1527.JPG
100_1527.JPG (223.54 KiB) Viewed 13991 times
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

E.MacKermak wrote:Scabbard had to back to the drawing board since I didn't quite get the dimensions right. Got a chance to do some different tooling on the utility knife sheath.
That looks great! I love the tooling and the colors, will this be worn at the back? I am working on a sheath now myself, hope to have pics sometime this year! Again, a great job and would love to see how you wear it.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Mirimaran wrote:
E.MacKermak wrote:Scabbard had to back to the drawing board since I didn't quite get the dimensions right. Got a chance to do some different tooling on the utility knife sheath.
That looks great! I love the tooling and the colors, will this be worn at the back? I am working on a sheath now myself, hope to have pics sometime this year! Again, a great job and would love to see how you wear it.

Ken
The plan right now is for it to be suspended from the belt on the left hip. It is possible (theoretically) to have it attached to the pack as an option, but I have to finish working the pack design in order to test it out.