Let's clothe a ranger.

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Let's clothe a ranger.

Post by RikJohnson »

A couple thoughts.
In Arizona, leather (despite this being a cattle state) is expensive! Therefore few people wear leather unless they want to brag and show how rich they are. And wool is almost impossible to find. I have two bolts of wool that I found at a swap meet. The seller had them in his closet since she bought them in 1972. I grabbed them up and only after asked "how much?" She said, "How about $2 bolt?" There are dozens of yards on each bolt!!!!

In Ireland, wool is common. But no one wears leather.
And no one wears wool when it is Summer or hot!
Yes, the Dragoons and Cavalry in Arizona wore wool, but that was by military regulation and heatstroke was common out here in the Summer. Winter was another matter!

So I would submit that a Ranger wore what he could get in the area he .. well ranged! If leather was cheap and plentiful, he'd wear leather. If sheep were common, he'd wear wool. Thus when rangers got together, you;d see a bunch of different styles based on what they could get and what was commonly worn in that area. Get a ranger wearing leather in Arizona and he'd be dead in a day!
Clothing materials were designed for his area.

BOOTS!
My father was a hiker and hunter and told me that he wore high-top work boots because if a rattle was out to get you, he'd strike just above the ankle.
Now this guy was a former cowboy who put his boots on the fence when he enlisted and never looked back. But in the Field he always wore leather boots that went a few inches above his ankles for that reason.
So I would submit that Rangers who rode a lot of horses would wear high pointed-toed boots.
Those who walked would wear lower boots with more rounded toes and they'd make certain that their boots were VERY comfortable.
Rule #1 in the military is "Take care of your feet, you cannot run away from a Russian tank on blisters!" so I'd always wear comfortable boots!

HATS!
As I see it, a hat has two reasons for existing.
ONE: to keep the sun off your head. If you are in England or Ireland, why wear a hat with a brim? In the desert areas, YES!
TWO: to keep the rain off your head! Yes a hooded cloak will work but a good brim on good hat works better.
If it isn't really sunny nor rainy, no need for a hat.

CLOAKS!
I have two. Had three but gave one away just an hour ago.
My brown with white lining is Winter Cloak.
My plain green one is a summer cloak and so unlined.
Both work as blankets and raincoats.

Now I have just today finished a longer green tunic with removable hood.
I padded the shoulders as too many blows come downward!

But my point is that there was no set Ranger Uniform! There was individuality and materials and dress were probably whatever was commonly worn in his area. Imagine trying to blend in and gather information when you are wearing all black leather and everyone else is in light linnins! Or you are the only person in Japan wearing a kilt! Or the only Scot carrying katana! I suspect that people would shut up and stare at you.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.