Bodkins

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Ernildir
Haeropada

Bodkins

Post by Ernildir »

Do any of y'all use bodkins rather than field points for target practice? It seems like they would be less detrimental than broadheads. Or do bodkins still pose the danger of severely damaging your own arrows if you strike too close? Any other disadvantages? Do most archery ranges or archery competitions (SCA?) tend to allow bodkins?

Thanks.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Bodkins

Post by Manveruon »

I personally use ACE target bodkins, and I really like them. There are other types of modern bodkin heads (or "modbods" as some call them) out there that are even better for target shooting. I know there are some folks around here who can point you in the right direction in that regard. However, if you're considering medieval style bodkin tips, I'd steer away from them, unless they're purely for show. Reason being, medieval bodkin points were generally square in cross-section, which apparently causes a great deal of damage to targets. That's why "modbods" are round in cross-section, from what I understand.

As it is, many places don't even allow modern bodkins - only field points. Broadheads are pretty much universally banned, not only because they're terrible for targets, but because they're kinda' dangerous to be practice-shooting with people around. Any type of point will damage your arrows if you hit one while shooting though.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

http://www.longbowandarrow.co.uk/re-ena ... -551-p.asp

These are the bodkins that I am using. They're nice medieval-looking and yet subtle enough not to cause too much damage- but then again i just shoot into hay bales.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Mine are similar to Dirhael's but rounded instead of squard. I also have the longer sort that are pyramidal, but I do not use those for target shooting. I use my rounded bodkins for target shooting in burlap targets for the most part, as that is what I have and it doesn't have so high a risk of the head pulling off when I remove the arrow, like foam and a lot of other things.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RangerKellen »

All this time I have been using regular target practice arrows! What's the main difference from those and bodkins?
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

RangerKellen wrote:All this time I have been using regular target practice arrows! What's the main difference from those and bodkins?
First bodkins are MUCH more expensive than target points. Second due to their design, they have a tendency to chew up targets pretty badly or punch right thru them and continue to travel (remember they are designed to go thru maille and not deflect when shot at joints in armor), so they can be dangerous to people, pets or building beyond your target area.

Most people who buy/own bodkins will shoot several, just to see their flight differences to normal arrows and then they buy target or field point that have the same characteristics and use them for practice and keep their expensive bodkins for show.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Manveruon wrote:I personally use ACE target bodkins, and I really like them. There are other types of modern bodkin heads (or "modbods" as some call them) out there that are even better for target shooting. I know there are some folks around here who can point you in the right direction in that regard. However, if you're considering medieval style bodkin tips, I'd steer away from them, unless they're purely for show. Reason being, medieval bodkin points were generally square in cross-section, which apparently causes a great deal of damage to targets. That's why "modbods" are round in cross-section, from what I understand.

As it is, many places don't even allow modern bodkins - only field points. Broadheads are pretty much universally banned, not only because they're terrible for targets, but because they're kinda' dangerous to be practice-shooting with people around. Any type of point will damage your arrows if you hit one while shooting though.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Is this an ACE target bodkin? Image If not, what does it look like? :P
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Okay, I just did some google searching and have a new question. Apparently that picture I posted is of an "Ace classic point" (different from an ace target bodkin I suppose, which I haven't been able to find a picture of).

The classic point has this description:

Give your arrows that "Classic" look. These machined, carbon steel practice points have the appearance of medieval hand forged points, but without the high cost. Edgeless design makes them easy on your targets. Standard 5 degree taper.

Did arrowheads ever really look like that in the Medieval period? What was their purpose? These points couldn't have been as effective as bodkins or broadheads, could they? Why would Medieval archers ever use a point like the "ace classic point?"

Thanks.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Okay, looks like I got the name slightly wrong, but yes, the Ace classic points are what I use. These are the points I was referring to as modern bodkins, or "modbods." You will notice that they are similar in shape to the period bodkin points Dirhael posted, except that they are round in cross-section instead of square. Apparently this round cross-section makes them easier on targets than an actual, square-cross-sectioned medieval bodkin point (or so I've been told). They are not exactly what a period archer would have used, given their slightly different cross-section and the fact that they are machine-turned instead of hand forged, but they DO look an awful lot more like period bodkins than your average target points, which is no doubt the market Ace is trying to appeal to.

Personally, I love the look of them, and have been complimented several times by other history and fantasy enthusiasts on them. I do have to admit that yes, they have a tendency to put a slightly bigger hole in a target than your average field point, but the difference is very slight. For me, they're about as realistic as I feel I can go while still being able to shoot at a target with them (and afford to purchase them, for that matter). But once again, not every range or archery group will allow you to use them, so be careful.

Some slightly different "modbod" shapes are out there, like the Top Hat modern bodkin points at the bottom of this page:
http://www.silverarrowarchery.biz/acata ... oints.html

The rounder profile of these might make them easier on targets than the Ace classic points.

Here's another site offering slightly different modbods as well:
http://www.thelongbowshop.com/categorie ... kin-Arrow-
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

I love more weight at the end of my arrows, but medieval versions of target heads do exist. I cant remember right, but I think they are called Tudor bodkins. Look sort of like this (below) . They are nicer to the targets while still looking period. Price is an issue however.
Attachments
bodkin.jpg
bodkin.jpg (11.3 KiB) Viewed 13297 times

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Thanks for the pic Dirhael!
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thanks for all the info. Good to know.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Are broadheads always more effective in hunting larger game, since bodkins are mostly just designed for piercing armour? And could broadheads be more effective than bodkins in a combat situation if the enemy does not have very strong armour?
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Broadheads are designed to bleed the target and were often barbed to prevent them falling out and to create more damage as the target moved. Yes, they would be more effective than bodkins generally as long as the target was not armored.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

When I go hunting I hunt with broadheads. But since the bow I have now is #30, they are only 100 grains.
-J.R.R. Tolkien