Brandwyn's leather pouches projects

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

kaelln

Re: Brandwyn's leather pouches projects

Post by kaelln »

The stamping looks really nice as well. Very nicely done, Brandwyn!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Ringulf wrote:That realy looks great Sweetie! You are doing a fantastic job!
If that Tan was the eco flo I can understand the streaking, I had the same problem with the Acorn Brown. I found that with the waterbased stain if you thin it slightly and apply an additional coat it will cover more evenly.

However I tend to agree that it adds character to the piece when it is a bit uneven, but that is just my opinion.

Keep going! plenty more to do when that one is done! :mrgreen:

I have had the same problem with the EcoFlo dyes. I got some Fiebings at Tandy yesterday just to see if it is my technique or the dye itself that gives me issues.

The stamping looks good and the pouch is coming along nicely.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

I have a small tin container with a friction fit lid that I first melt the bees wax in, then I add some neatsfoot oil to it while it's melted. I don't remember the exact proportions off hand, but when it cools it should be the consistency of shoe polish. If I remember correctly I use about twice the amount of wax as I do oil. I wish I could be more helpful but I usually just kind of "eyeball" it.
I use this mixture on pretty much all of my leather equipment. I have worn moccasins and turnshoes treated with it and when everybody else's feet were soaked from walking on wet ground or through wet grass, mine were perfectly dry. I have also treat my brogans with it before each event I go to and have walked through creeks and not gotten wet,,unless the water is too deep and gets in over the tops.
You can't take the sky from me.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh that is coming out nice. The stamping is looking good.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

It does look great. Something anyone would be proud to wear.

I know most of you know this but just a word to people new to wax. Wax is very flameble. Always use a double boiler system when melting wax. A double boiler system is simply a larger pot of water, that you put a smaller pot in, with the wax inside the smaller pot. Until all your water evaporates the temperature in the inner pot can only reach 212 degrees F. This is suffienct to melt the wax but below the combustion point of the wax and keeps you safe from a fire.

If you use an old empty can as your inner "pot" this will keep you safe from a severe beating from your spouse or mom because you won't have ruined her pot.....Remember safety first. :D
Brandwyn
Wanderer

Post by Brandwyn »

Thanks everyone.

Just to answer the question of the dye, it is Fiebings Tan dye, but I only put one coat on the sides of the pouch and 2 coats on the front and back, so likely if I go over it again it will even out, but I think I am going to leave it as is. I kind of like it that way.

Thanks for the info on the oil wax mixture. I am goin to try that and I think that is how I will finish the pouch.

I have finished sewing it. I had eight needles going on it at the same time. heh heh. Take a look at the new pics, all that is left is the finish.

It lightened up a little once it dried.

Brandwyn
"They are dangerous at both ends, and - crafty - in the middle." Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows (Robert Downey Jr. in character on the subject of Horses)
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Well done, Ranger! Nice and roomy!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Very good work!
Brandwyn
Wanderer

Post by Brandwyn »

Thanks!

Now, what to put inside it? Hmmm....
Brandwyn
"They are dangerous at both ends, and - crafty - in the middle." Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows (Robert Downey Jr. in character on the subject of Horses)