July Solo Overnighter - Pic Heavy

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

July Solo Overnighter - Pic Heavy

Post by Greg »

I went on a solo overnighter last night for personal enrichment as much as to test a few things, and to add a variable that I haven't really tried out before. Not everything that I did was necessarily smart in a "Kids, don't try this at home" kind of way. So, before the comments fly, be advised that I'm already well aware that a few of my decisions were a little, well...stupid.

What I set out to do, was to paddle across the lake at my work in twilight, to try my hand at preparing a fire in the dark. I figured I'd find a site to camp in the last few moments of light, and then have to work in the dark for the rest of the evening, only with light that I could provide myself.

Problem is, like most things, not everything went according to plan.

I didn't get off work until a solid hour later than I expected, so getting into kit was a rushed affair. I wound up running out of daylight before I ever left the car. But, having spent some time among the dwarves and inheriting their stubbornness, I went for it anyway.

Cue less-than-intelligent decision number one: Paddling in pitch black.

There was a tiny sliver of a moon last night, but it didn't come up over the treeline and help me out until well after I no longer needed it. The stars were nice and bright, but didn't shed enough light to really be usable, apart from helping me separate the silhouettes of the treetops from the open sky. The main hazards of this problem are running aground at an angle that could capsize the boat, as well as hitting a partially submerged tree or branch which could cause the same problem.

The solution? For starters, I know the hazards on this lake like the back of my hand. Secondly, GO SLOW. Take it easy. You're not in a hurry. On a night like this, the orcs can't see you from shore any more than you can see them. Go slow enough that colliding with anything will cause no more than a bump, and no loss in stability.

Still onshore:

On the water. That's all I could see, dimly...and that's a flash photo. It was worse.

There wasn't anything to see, so the rest of the journey across the water was undocumented in photos. Unless you want to look at a rectangle of black, which I could arrange.

Once I beached, which I did very carefully, my first concern was making sure that my overly-curious mutt didn't wander off in the pitch black. He kinda...blends in. So I walked around, seeing the dim shapes of trees, looking for one a little way back from the bank I could tie him off to for a few. Got that taken care of, and then turned around to find myself next to a long-since uprooted tree. It had been knocked over by the wind, and had ripped up its main root base, leaving a wall of dirt and roots over a shallow depression.

A heat reflector, and an all-natural firepit.

Huzzah.

So the next problem is, finding kindling without grabbing stinging nettles or poison ivy. I shuffled my feet around until I heard the swishing of shin-high grass. Grabbed a handful, and snagged some leaves that were light and dry. Made my way back to the pit, and got to work. I cleared the pit of leaves so I didn't start an inferno, and then laid my precious cargo in the center and broke off a few roots from the dirt wall before me.

We had a thunderstorm the day before last, so everything was a little damp. Several frustrated minutes later, I managed to get a quick short blaze going. I raced around the root base furiously, breaking off any and every brittle piece of dead root I could find, feeding them in to get it going. A deft application of a decent sized fistful of leaves got the flames to leap up, which shed some light on the situation for a moment.

With that brief increase in visibility, I was able to find my first real prize, a knee-thick forked log about four feet long that was leaning dry against a tree, and pretty thoroughly rotten. It would light up real easily, and buy me some time.

I broke it easily into sections by stomping on it (this is important...you don't want to be swinging an axe around in the dark) and got the first few pieces going. With that, I swept out further, skimming the still-black ground for thumb-sized sticks and things I could break easily into usable lengths. I started thinking of these as “rescue” twigs; I wanted a stockpile of them ready-to-hand so that, in the middle of the night, I woke up cold and the fire was down to tiny coals, I wouldn’t have to stumble around in the black to “rescue” the fire safely. So I built up a stockpile of these, occasionally finding some larger, more fuel-appropriate pieces.

With every trip, I put a few bits in the fire to keep building up that bed of coals so that when I felt comfortable with my stockpile, I’d have a good cooking fire. In this situation, you’re not racing against time…you’ve already run out. You’re racing against your fire; you need to return before your embers burn out, with enough to keep it going AND enough to prevent you stumbling around in the darkness again while half-awake.

So here’s camp, at this point, ready for dinner.

I spoiled myself and brought some raw meat to roast. Not the most appropriate thing for a ranger to be carrying, generally, but heck…everyone deserves a quality meal every once in awhile. Besides…a ranger who just left from Rivendell might’ve been sent with one last nice, non-dried beef steak for a final good meal before the hard rations set in.

So I did. I roasted up a steak. I also helped myself to some fire-melted white cheese I brought along, and a pair of apples from my market-wallet. Then, biding my time for a bit, I whittled by the fire and kept it going. This would also be a good time to have a pipe, etc. Eventually, the dog and I turned in for the night.

Someone needed a little bit of persuading to share:

*Curtains close. End Act I.*

Around 5:45 am, the sky stated to turn gray. The stars had faded, and I found myself mildly awake. It was still dark, but the sky was clearly delineated against the trees in the distance.

A handful of pre-stacked sticks and some blowing on a few coals I found buried in the ash from last night’s fire got things blazing again.

I only wore my linen shirt on top last night, and used my wool top layer as a pillow. Now, it was a bit chilly, and some light fog was rolling in, so I took the “pillow”, which had warmed from being slept on, and put it on. The fire crackling again, Shadow and I sat for a bit, warming up and enjoying the lovely fog leading slowly into a solid sunrise.

Once the light was substantial enough, I broke camp and paddled out. It’s amazing how much detail one can go into describing how to deal with the dark. Now that it’s light out, I don’t think anything more needs to be said. Everything went smoothly, and it was a lovely morning, containing none of the concern, care, or urgency of the night before. You wouldn’t know it was the same place.

My camp was hidden behind the treeline at the very back of the lake in this image, just to the right from center:

Cheers!

-Greg
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: July Solo Overnighter - Pic Heavy

Post by Eledhwen »

Right then. I a word, excellent. I shan't call anything you have related stupid, since I do not see it that way. What I see here is someone coping with the unexpected in thoroughly competent manner. Huzzah to you!

Salted or smoked meat is a reasonable alternative to jerk and raw; they were more common than other sorts of things.

I think you did an excellent job. Well done, Ranger.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Where do you acquire your salted/smoked meat? Everything I come across is still very juicy/wet, which doesn't keep or carry well. Do you know of any commercial sources of smoked/salted stuffs?
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I make my own mostly, but they are available through suppliers like Cabelas and similar. I find though, that even with these I have to take it a bit further. Refrigeration pretty much canned the other forms of preservation, unfortunately.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'm looking into getting a dehydrator to partially dry-out my own meats and such. I'll look into Cabelas. You're right...refrigeration kinda screwed us.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

We have one; it works pretty well but takes a long time to finish. For meats I use an oven insert from Cabelas for making jerk. Get a roast (or a cut of venison) cut 1/8" strips, impale on spikes, put in oven, dry in low heat. On hot days a van or car can do it too.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Well done!

And I love the placement of your Star of the Dunedain. ;)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Stars, glimmering in the night
but from the sky they are unhomed
and pinned upon Rangers few
for the night belongs to them...

Well done, Greg! Again, you set the bar for the rest of us!

:)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I may actually come into possession of a Grumman aluminum canoe, about 16' long, next month. If so, it gets a going over of course, then a paint job to not be shiny...I may powder coat it instead.

If this comes to pass, I shall be experimenting like you have done here, initially exploring the Anduin hard by my home here, and its islands, and then perhaps moving on to some of the lakes in the area. I love canoeing and canoe camping...to do it as a Ranger is a constant desire..which you have managed to add fuel to.

:) Keep it up!

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RangerKellen »

Greg, that must have been tricky trying to get all of your stuff prepared in the dark! Well done!

And Eledhwen, I too have always wanted to go on an overnight canoe trip!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Greg, you still using that little pig-sticker in the one pic?! :lol: Glad to see it's holding up for you. Looks like you had a great learning experience there. My hat's off to you.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg

Post by Greg »

That little pig-sticker could stick any pig in existence and still make it home in time for dinner.
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Thanks for sharing, Ranger. I like that you used what nature provided as a fire pit. Well thought out.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Alderic
Dúnadan

Post by Alderic »

Now THAT is camping. I would love to take a short little trek, paddle and overnighter like that, with or without ranger gear. I might have set out earlier than you intended, but I'm the early night, early morning type. It probably comes down to preference.
I may have to throw together what gear I can, rent or borrow a canoe and do this myself.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Greg wrote:That little pig-sticker could stick any pig in existence and still make it home in time for dinner.

It's hard to see in the pic, but did you thin down the sheath a little? It looks a bit smaller than when you made it.

I have a flat-bottom john boat I was planning to get out on some this summer. I made it out once. Now I think a snake has taken up residence under it. :(
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.