Blade Advice

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Christian Fletcher...yeah, rather like that one. :)

Siani
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Well all you have to do is ask Mike Capanelli for a review, that's the same model he won in Valient Armory's contest.

I personally like Gus Trim's blades.

I have a 1417( stock )
a 1503 w/blued furniture and an antiqued blade
a 1557 w/brass wheel pommel
a Christian Fletcheried 1520
and 1 more that I won't identify at the moment as I'm doing some customizing and will show pics when I finish it.
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

Mike, care to weigh in? Will the Fletcher Castile be a "keeper" blade, one that would stand up in a real combat situation if needed?

And I'm thinking the only difference in price between these two is the fancier leather scabbard on the Signature version?

http://www.kultofathena.com/product~ite ... +Sword.htm

http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~CF401.htm
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Well it's not as good as my Squire but for the price it comes pretty close. The stock edge isn't very good so I suggest having whomever you purchase it from sharpen her up for you. Sonny Southers reshaped the edge on mine before sending her out. She's a little bleade heavy but nothing out of the scope of a true type X. This is not a finese sword, she's a cutter, and man does she cut. Sonny did an outstanding job giving her a nice apple seed edge. It's razor sharp and after three sessions shows no signs of getting dull. The recovery is slow but again, it's a type X so you'd expect that. The scabbard, while it does have a glued seam and plain buckles is really very nice. Price aside it's just a well done scabbard and doesn't give you the feel that it's thrown in. The scabbard is light and attractive and compliments the sword nicely. She's a classic sword and shield weapon and for the price a great package. I'd definitly say mines a keeper. If you get one I doubt you'll be dissapointed.
Winter is coming
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Well I'm ignorant aren't I? Del Tin makes some of the blades for Albion swords. That's interesting. Learn something new every day.

I still have the old Del Tin Glamdring and the blade of Orcrist. :) Still, I can't resist collecting. *sigh*

Siani
Nandalad!
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

Okdokie then,

The winner is,

http://www.kultofathena.com/product~ite ... +Sword.htm

I'll be ordering next week, I don't think KoA has an extra sharpening service on this blade, but I have my own whet-stones anyway.
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
DavidMc

Post by DavidMc »

Hi there-- I'm a bit of a lurker as I haven't had much time to devote to any of my favorite forums but I had to jump in here. Siani wrote:
Del Tin makes some of the blades for Albion swords.

This is not correct. Albion makes their own blades. Once upon a time they sold Del Tin blades (they may even still have some in stock) but Del Tin does not make any of the blades for the Albion line-up.

In re: suitable blades, glad to hear you've settled on one, Faolan. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it when it's "in-hand".

My personal favorites are the Albions, although they are not inexpensive. I have the Baron and the Valkyrie-- both outstanding weapons. Wish I could afford more, but it'll be a while before I can justify the expenditures. An alternative to Albion's Next Gen or Museum Line pieces would be the Squire Line. I've never seen one in person, but a number of people on myArmoury have great things to say about them.

Ollin Sword Design seems to be another up-and-comer. I have a La Tene II sword from Iron Age Armoury whose blade was made by the Ollin team, and it's impressuve quality. It's a good time to be a sword collector.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

That is good to know. Perhaps they just sell, or sold, Del Tin swords, or it was an old page coming on a search.

They had some of the Orcrist blades in the Moat Sale some time ago.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords.htm

Thank you for the correction.

Siani
Nandalad!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I don't know there Gareth. Tinker holds CAS/Hanwei's feet to the fire on his blades. He has sent several proto's back for correction. I have a custom Tinker and would love to get my hands on a Tinker/CAS/Hanwei. Just can't put money into any sword at the moment.

I also love the Albion Clontarf that I have. I just need to make a waster and start practicing some kind of swordsmanship.

DavidMc: Good to have you here. Don't be a stranger. We look forward to hearing more from you.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I see what you mean. :D It's not easy to do QC when you are many miles, even oceans away from the source.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
DavidMc

Post by DavidMc »

Hi all, thanks for the welcomes-- I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through the different threads and seeing what you're up to. Like many here I've always had an affinity with Tolkien's Rangers.

Gareth: The Squire Line sounds good. It would be tempting to pick one up and make it into a bit of a project (maybe re-wrap the hilt to add a bit of character). Alas, now is a time for frugality and I've a few projects I'm working on anyway (scabbards mostly, some medieval arrows and an Irish Iron Age sword).

The new Tinkerline swords look good as well-- I especially like the Viking one...
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I have the blunt tinker/cas bastard and it's held up great so far. My group has been beating on it for almost three months now and she's held her own against an albion squire line greatsword and a Leihtenauer. In dry handleing she seems a little light and whippy but when you free play it makes sense. Stiff enough to wind with and springy enough to thrust. I'd still like to feel the blade a bit more but overall a very nice sword and a great price.
Winter is coming