Blade Advice

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

Well after longer consideration and deliberation of my wants and needs in a sword I ended up getting the Valiant Armoury Practical Long Sword.

It has alot a good reviews and the cutting video really sold me.

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/VA-Long-Sword.html

It should be here in about a week
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

Well after watching the video and reading the review I have to agree. That could be my first sword to :p but don't worry I'm still looking.

I am looking at this
http://www.armsofvalour.com/miva/mercha ... ode=DS1523

its a bit more but looks perfect to me.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

At 4 pounds 3 oz that would seem to be a bit heavy after a bit, would this blade accompany you on treks or would it be more of a war sword?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

I plan on carrying it however it will be more of a last resort weapon. I will always have my bow and staff (once purchased or made) I also carry a small hand axe and knife (needs new handles)

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww29 ... Combo3.jpg

I was also thinking maybe a short sword of some sort.

Full gear so far: http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww290/Willrett/
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

The Zombie Apoc......guilty here.

I have enuff axes, mauls and other skull crushing implements to outfit an entire zombie defense force!
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

Stonedog wrote:The Zombie Apoc......guilty here.

I have enuff axes, mauls and other skull crushing implements to outfit an entire zombie defense force!
I hope to be at that point soon. I like the thought of enough weapons that everyone I know has a few choices and a few extras.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Willrett wrote:
Stonedog wrote:The Zombie Apoc......guilty here.

I hope to be at that point soon. I like the thought of enough weapons that everyone I know has a few choices and a few extras.
Being that this started out as an advice thread, I'll continue in that vein.

While more can be good, my reccomendation would be to pick up a few decent pieces first. If this requires you to wait a while before adding to your "armoury" so be it. I'm not going to suggest you hold off for custom pieces but you should start with some of the recognised entry level production companies.

Windlass, Cold Steel, Paul Chen to name a few of the better known brands.
Each has their own niche and price level, but all produce decent serviceable weapons. Cold Steel for example offers a wide selection of axes that are very reasonable (many types can be had for under $30) and you can customize them yourself to become a better fit for your personal kit. Not only will you get a decent addition but you'll probably learn a new skill during the customization process.

Stay away from stainless steel (needs very precise heating treating to make serviceable ) and no name brands as they have a tendency to have rat tail tangs which very easily come apart, sending your blade flying in an unintended direction. There are many stories of this happening and someone getting hurt, including one of the gents on HSN (his incident was live and a quick search on the net will find you a vid).

A lot of what I'm saying is well known to my fellow forumites, but we generally have a lot of guests on the boards so I'd rather they find out about the issues through reading than through first hand experience.

For further info on blades and weapons please review any of the following sites. All of them are there for the education of those interested in bladed weaponry.

http://forums.swordforum.com/

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/http:

www.myarmoury.com/links.html

I've probably missed a few but these are a good start.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

You are counted among the very Wise, Peter, that is great advice!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Gareth wrote:
Peter Remling wrote:What Peter said.
Also: To add to the "quality vs. quantity" vein. A 4+ lb sword, however many axes, a knife/axe combo, a bow, and a staff? I agree that one should always be prepared, but I think in this case less may be more. Out in the middle of nowhere, when speed of flight may mean life or death, being bogged down by your personal armory would be a big detriment.

If you're already going to drop $275 on a blade, why not save up the extra $100 for something better, lighter, faster? I'll admit that I may be projecting my own aesthetic here, but I think that you may want to hold off for something that (IMO) is a higher quality.

Just my $.02. :)

Nothing wrong with waiting for something better. There are many, I'll call them stage 2 production blade companies such as Angus Trim, Albion, Arms and Armour and many more inside and outside the United States. These are the production level swords that are the next best thing to custom and generally start at around $500 to $1200 for a sword alone. See the home page of My Armoury referenced earlier in this thread for a good list of low end production to custom makers.

Many people will advise going with top of the line custom pieces, while I agree that custom pieces are great, the average new person doesn't yet know what they want, need or will actually like until they've handled a few dozen swords or axes. Going custom, is very expensive and unless you are very familiar with the blade type and the makers work, you will most likely end up with the prettiest, most expensive wallhanger in your collection.

Bottom line is see, touch and handle (supervised) before buying, if possible. If you don't live anywhere near an upcoming blade show, try your local chapter of the SCA( Society for Creative Anachronism) most of these folkes will be more than happy to show off their blades. If you can't do any of the see, touch or handleing, then check out some of the lower end to see what you like, You can always move up from there.

I've bought and sold at least 60 swords over the past 30 years and currently have 2 Windlass and 5 Atrims that are keepers. I have yet to spring for a custom sword. I can say however that should I decide on purchasing a custom I know what I want, who I want to make it and I know I'll be satisfied with the purchase. That is something I couldn't say even just a few years ago.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I forgot, another very good feature of both Sword Forum and My Armoury is they both have classified ads for blade. In SFI it's called the Classifieds and My Armoury uses the name Marketplace, both are great places for picking up some gently used pieces at well less than new prices.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

Real great advise. As a newbie to all this (haven't bought first sword yet) everything you guys is saying is dead on. Whet I have been doing is going to every single site I can find from good to very bad and reading reviews and info about all the different swords. I know it will be a few months at least before I will even be close to buying but I know I will get help from all my fellow rangers here. :):).

Really great info and advise for everyone.
DavidMc

Post by DavidMc »

Just to add to Peter's links above (sorry if someone has already posted on this), the review section on myarmoury.com is a great resource if you're wanting to get a good overview of a number of blades out there.

http://www.myarmoury.com/reviews.html
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

After much deliberation as well as drooling over steel eye candy online for a few weeks, I've decided that I'm going to hold off in investing in a new sword for rangering purposes. On treks that involve my group, I'll bring my waster for practice, but when I'm on my own, I'll still have my kukri and my bow, which I'll consider enough for the time being. Thankfully, my engagements with live human opponents bearing sharp pointy objects and wearing armor happen to be at a pleasant level of zero currently, a pattern which I do not anticipate will change.

However, during these several weeks of deliberation, part of the reason I'm holding off on investing in said shiny object is because I'm saving up. I'm not skimping here. This is one of those occasions when I'm taking the road of patience so that my purchase becomes a lifelong investment in a working tool. The plan is to save so that when the Valiant Armoury Angus Trim/Christian Fletcher "Bristol" is released, I'll be able to place an order virtually immediately. The sword is a lot shorter than I originally thought, once I placed my hand 2.5"~ish up from the end of a yardstick to get an idea for just what I'd be swinging. Between that and what I've heard about the already released Coustille via Valiant Armoury's reviews as well as rumors of mcapanelli's blade, I have no doubts that it's what I've been looking for.

The blade's just about as perfect as I could want. It's long enough to support a hald-and-a-half style use without being quite so dramatic/bulky, and is short enough for MY arms to feel comfortable using it in a single hand.

When my quiver's here (any day now!!!) I'll start working on conceptual ways for the sword to be strapped into the rigging on it as well as my new Swiss pack for longer journeying when the blade is less likely to be needed so I can keep it up and out of the way, off my hip and such when an intense combat situation isn't likely.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! Now that I've finally forced myself to wait, I'll admit, it's a liberating feeling. If you're not 100% sure you want to invest in one particular blade over another, shove the money in a jar and keep adding to it. Something that looked out of reach may suddenly decide to rear its shiny pommel as a possibility.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I think that if there is any quality that a Ranger should have, it is patience. Good luck on the blade and I am sure that it will be worth the wait!