Blade Advice

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett

Post by Willrett »

I have to agree, I have a long list (seems to grow daily somehow :wink: ) of Items that I want. It is basically everything (I think) a ranger would need. Clothes, sword, bow, cloaks, boots, many other items totaling way more then I got to spend :cry: . I just have to save up and go item by item.

If anyone would like to see let me know and I will email, or if there is a way to post let me know, its a excel spreadsheet. It has prices and websites listed.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Actually, I may have a better way to help you display that wish list of yours in a way that would allow the rest of us help you (say, if I have something you want and am willing to part with it, etc.)

Check my new thread under the wanted section. I know the whole section is for that, but you might not want to post a specific item in a whole thread, and the list would be an ongoing thing so people can edit their posts to reflect what they're still looking for, have acquired, etc.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:Actually, I may have a better way to help you display that wish list of yours in a way that would allow the rest of us help you (say, if I have something you want and am willing to part with it, etc.)

Check my new thread under the wanted section. I know the whole section is for that, but you might not want to post a specific item in a whole thread, and the list would be an ongoing thing so people can edit their posts to reflect what they're still looking for, have acquired, etc.
Not a bad idea, you could post your wants along with things you have to trade, both material or crafted.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

I posted part of the sheet on there as an image but if anyone wants the full sheet let me know. It does all the math for multi items and gives a grand total.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Has anyone else placed an order (or pre-order) on any of the not-yet-released Valiant Armoury Signature Series blades? I know Mike has a Castille, but does anyone know anything about the shipment status of the Kriegschwert and the Bristol, which I'm waiting on?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

The Kriegschwert was supposed to be available as of late fall 08, as of yet no one that I've checked has them in stock. I couldn't find a release date for the Bristol yet.

These two are my favorites also but if I had to choose I'd go with the Bristol, I have too many hand and a halves, comparitively speeking, as we all know there is no such thing as too many swords. If you don't believe me, ask David. :lol:
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

I ordered my Valiant Practical longsword from Paul Southern at the Sword Buyers Guide, he's been in contact with the folks at Valiant. He is expecting the shipment to land around April 7th.

Quote from the email I received from SGB;

"This shipment was originally supposed to be arriving in February, however the Chinese New Year celebrations shut down the forge, freight services, and pretty much everything for nearly 2 weeks. This flow on effect meant that the swords were originally scheduled to arrive in mid-march, however the most recent update from Valiant Armouries broker is that they should be landing in approx 1 weeks time on the 7th of April.

The Practical Arming sword and Longsword will be shipped out as soon as possible after they land, as they are ready to go out of the box, but as the leatherwork on the Signature series Kriegschwert and Bristol swords is done in the USA, it may take just a bit longer (though they will have all hands on deck and be working as fast as possible)."
Anyway, at the end of the day, we still have approx another 2-3 weeks ahead of us before this swords ship out"

Time to grab a mugful of that Ranger Patience.
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Alright, well that lands it here just about when I was expecting it. Gives me time to break in my quiver, make some minute adjustments, and prepare for that Bristol to land on my door.
Greg

Post by Greg »

If anyone's looking to snag a new blade for a great deal, I recieved my paypal invoice today for my pre-ordered Bristol, and they're still accepting pre-orders for the Kriegschwert and the Bristol on www.swordnation.com

Delivery time from now is about 3 weeks.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Just to keep everyone up-to-date, the Valiant Armoury Signature line "Bristol" has undergone a small change between the prototype model and the production model. The metal locket that is seen on the prototype has been replaced by a leather one that displays a tooled dragon insignia. I kinda liked the metal one better, but the leather one will take away some shine, which'll be nice from a ranger's perspective.

Anywho, here's the final version:

Mine's scheduled to be here next tuesday, at which point I'll do some test cutting and post a review here for anyone interested.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Final update regarding the VA Signature Bristol business I've been ranting about.

It arrived yesterday, and I can't put the thing down. I went to the range to shoot my bow, and it was attached to my quiver so I could get used to it. Couldn't stop looking at it. Cut some water bottles and a milk jug like a hot knife through butter. The craftsmanship is phenomenal; I can't wait to see how the belt turns out!

It's a wee bit on the heavy side, but that's no biggie. The blade, though quite short, has a perfect hand-and-a-half grip, just how I like it, so my left hand can come in and support when needed. Everyone has their own opinions, but as for me, the Bristol is THE perfect Ranger's Blade. Pics coming later today when I have a chance.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

Well I missed my chance to get one of the swords I want. Yesterday it was on sale and when I was looking this morning it was still showing the sale price of $138.00 sharped, I had to got move my savings from one bank to another and do a few work things and got to come home real quick and was going order it but the price has been changed back to 167 sharped. I know its only a 30 dollar difference but its more then I got. I guess I will keep a look out.

https://www.museumreplicas.com/p-222-fa ... sword.aspx
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Post by Greg »

PICTURE TIME!

Here's the sword strapped in with my quiver. As you can see, the size is pretty much perfect.

Here it is in one hand. The handle tapers quite significantly about 1/2 the way back, which fits the ball of my palm quite nicely. I was skeptical about the comfort of that taper, but it fits really well.

And again with both:

For size reference, here it is on my back with my quiver. I'm 6'1"

It's a wonderful cutter, making incredibly easy short work of water bottles. An absolute joy to use.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg:

Very nice! Congratulations, How do you have the scabbard attached to the quiver ?