Blade Advice

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Do you see the two belts wrapped around the quiver? The sword is slipped down through those alongside the back. I'm working on sewing on some dedicated straps just for the sword, because when I want to use those "luggage straps" on, say, a bedroll, the current setup won't work because the straps would be occupied. I'd never attach it permanently, because when the belt arrives (shipped separate) it'll be nice to be able to wear it around my belt when the mood strikes.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg:

One more question, Can you draw it while attached to the quiver or do you have to remove the quiver first ?
Greg

Post by Greg »

It's completely drawable. The scabbard's just sleeved into the straps, and the blade is completely free. I couldn't do that to myself, lol. Function first.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Willrett:

I tried all over the web to find that sword at a lower price then MRL for you. The best I could do was find it about a buck less. I also tried to find coupon codes to either get a percentage off or knock off the S&H, still no go. What I did find was that this was a Daily Special and that this does occur every or almost every day so if anyone would like to find some bargains I reccommend you check this out once per day :

http://explore.twitter.com/museumreplicas
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Hey All,

A couple of things in regards to sword selection.

As with almost any weapon, if you train with it enough, you'll be good with it. Whether it's a type X, a basalard, or type XIV. Some blades are more suited for Ranger work than others.
A critical factor is to find a blade size that you will carry for extended periods. If I tried to lug around one of the movie Ranger Blades through the woods I would end up throwing it over a cliff in a rage. That's after tripping over it and snagging it in brush. Others it may not bother.
The way to know this is to get out in the woods with one and try it.

Unfortunately, most of us can't afford to buy a dirt cheap replica of a blade type we're interested in just to go carry it around for a while. But I can say I've seen it more than once, that if you're not comfortable with it, you won't want to lug it around day in day out.

Greg,

Can you re-sheath that thing. It looks like a great set-up.

Andy
Greg

Post by Greg »

With some effort, yes, it can be re-sheathed. The on-the-back carry position is mainly for transportation, due to the sheer convenience of having it on a belt.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! It's a GREAT blade.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

Peter thanks a lot. Hopefully it comes up again before its gone.

Greg that is a beautiful sword.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

LOVE your setup, Greg, beautiful sword and again, that quiver is a work of art!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I agree with Andy on his assessment of swords in the woods. I took my Tinker sword out into the woods with me once last summer. It snagged on everything possible. It is truly a beautiful sword, but better suited for open combat in the open field. I would say my Clontarf would fair a bit better as far as the hilt goes- just less of it to catch on things. But lately I've been thinking that out of three of the four that I have- one being a cheap replica of a Confederate foot officer's sword- I would probably like to work on my MRL Meinz pattern gladius and carry it. It's short. It can hang close to the body and has less to hang up in the bushes. It would be good for close combat in thick undergrowth such as one would encounter here in central NC. But regardless of these ramblings, Greg, that's one good looking set up there. I would gladly add something like that to my collection.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.