Russ pants for the "Southern Ranger"

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Russ pants for the "Southern Ranger"

Post by Ringulf »

I thought it would be nice to give these a bit of attention on our forum, aside from my use of them for the Khazad (which in my opinion is a style that works well on the typical dwarven frame and leg proportions like mine and tend to disguise the leg shape of a Dwarf reinactor)

As I mentioned before they are very comfortable and cool I just spent three days using the same pair (yes washed and hung while sleeping and they also dry very quickly when using light fabric) and they held up remarkably.

The style is good with light material but I have also seen them in basic linen as well. The Russ actually looked at them as a status symbol as the more yardage in your pants showed your affluence.

They were expensive to have made so most often they were made from colorful or intricately designed cloths, stripes and woven patterns as well as brocades and even painted repeating patterns were used as well.

With a large belt and some boots you may have the makings of a Umbarian Corsair, or a merchand of Rhun or Harad if lightly.

My pattern is of course store bought innexpensively at walmart on sale for a dollar a yard which I got a large bolt of and was able to make two pair and have some left over for a reversable hood.

I really liked the pattern which reminded me of a very rangery scale maile.

In my Varangian Guard souce material many patterns this intricate and even more so were used so even though the work involved in these would be that of a pair made for a Dwarf Lord, Ringulf has his two pair (so what does a dwarf spend his hard earned gold on anyway?)

Here are some collected pictures of Russ pants I have aquired along with the instructiions that Brandwyn drew up after making my pairs.

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: Russ pants for the "Southern Ranger"

Post by Ernildir »

I've been examining the instructions to make sure I fully understand them before cutting out the pattern, and now I have a few questions:

1) Does it mean anything special to cut the pieces "on fold?" It doesn't mean the fabric is doubled over a fold before cutting so that all of the pieces are actually twice the size as shown, does it?

2) The one and a half inch drawstring opening should not be made right at the top of the waist, right? It should be somewhere within the three inches that will be folded over to form the waist band tube? So maybe, of those three inches, three quarters of an inch should be sewn closed both above and below the one and a half?

3) What does it mean to "Tack seam open top 6 inches to allow draw string to pull through tube?"

Thanks.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

For those who aren't sure about making their own.. Linen Garb makes them really nicely. He is on the AA and this is the website. http://www.linengarb.com His prices are very good.

We can and have made our own pants and tunics but sometimes 'TIME' isn't our friend. We've bought several things from them.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I fully agree with Kiriana, these are good folk and make a great product, in fact if you look back many of the pictured examples of the russ pants I showed were directly from their site. (I should have given them credit when I first put it up, my appologies but they are leaders in this type of work)
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thank you for the suggestion, but I've resolved to make as much of my own kit as I possibly can. :mrgreen:

Anyway, my main difficulty is just with my first question... I don't understand how I could fit the crotch gusset in as a triangle shape. It seems like it should be a diamond shape, which is why it seems like maybe "cutting on fold" means that everything is twice the size as shown and the triangle is actually a diamond. Could anyone please clarify?

Thanks.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yes, you are absolutely correct in your assumption. "Cut on fold" means exactly what it sounds like - fold the fabric in half, then lay the pattern piece against the straight edge of the fold. Then cut out the piece, so that when you open it up, you get a double-image of the pattern piece. Most patterns have some pieces like this, and it's a good way to get a symmetrical shape for a piece without drawing it out by hand, or cutting it while laid out flat. It can also help conserve fabric in some cases.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Manveruon wrote:Yes, you are absolutely correct in your assumption. "Cut on fold" means exactly what it sounds like - fold the fabric in half, then lay the pattern piece against the straight edge of the fold. Then cut out the piece, so that when you open it up, you get a double-image of the pattern piece. Most patterns have some pieces like this, and it's a good way to get a symmetrical shape for a piece without drawing it out by hand, or cutting it while laid out flat. It can also help conserve fabric in some cases.
Excellent! I now understand the instructions well enough to make something that I know will work, at least, which is all I need. :mrgreen: Thank you!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Brandwyn is trying to get a few minutes free to answer your questions on her directions Ernildir, if you still have any put them together as you did and she can discuss it either here or in a PM.

Ringulf :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ernildir wrote:I've been examining the instructions to make sure I fully understand them before cutting out the pattern, and now I have a few questions:

1) Does it mean anything special to cut the pieces "on fold?" It doesn't mean the fabric is doubled over a fold before cutting so that all of the pieces are actually twice the size as shown, does it?

2) The one and a half inch drawstring opening should not be made right at the top of the waist, right? It should be somewhere within the three inches that will be folded over to form the waist band tube? So maybe, of those three inches, three quarters of an inch should be sewn closed both above and below the one and a half?

3) What does it mean to "Tack seam open top 6 inches to allow draw string to pull through tube?"

Thanks.

Brandwyn here on Ringulf's computer...

question 1 - yes, you need to cut the pieces on the fold as shown so that you get twice the amount of fabric. The amount of inches you need around the waist really depends on your waist circumfrance and how "poofy" you want the pants. The more fabric you have, the more they will drape and that makes them look more full. The inches I showed here are for Ringulf. If you are of thinner build you can get away with less fabric. A general rule of thumb is that you want about 3-4 times more fabric than your waist size.

Question 2 - you are correct. It works best to have the opening for the drawstring centered from top to bottom on the waist band. If you want a bit of a ruffle above the drawstring around your waist, you can put in another line of stitching about a half an inch or so down from the top edge - all the way around. The drawstring will rest against that row of stitching and the fabric above it will pleat into a ruffle.

Question 3 - I am not sure how to describe this step. Basically what you want to do is make sure the seam allowance that falls inside of the waist band is sewn down so that your drawstring won't catch on it when you are working the drawstring around through the waistband when you first put the drawstring in. (This step is not critical, it just will save you aggrivation when you go to install the drawstring.) I usually pin the two pant legs together and then iron the seam open (before sewing) in the area that is going to be part of the waistband. I then tack them down on each side before I sew up the pantlegs together. The tacking only goes down 6 inches from the top (so it is only the area that will be inside the waistband.)

The sewing term "Tack" means to sew a long stitch. A tacked seam usually is one that is temporary to hold pieces in place until the regular seams are sewn. You should be able to pull a tacked seam out easily, much like opening a drawstring on a dog food or horse feed bag by pulling one thread. For the purposes of sewing the seam allowance fabric open inside the waistband you can tack it or sew a regular seam since you are not going to be pulling it out.

You are also correct in that the crotch gusset needs to be a diamond shape and that is why you cut it on a fold like you already figured out and Manferuon already explained. You might have to play with the number of inches from the top that you put the gusset points in to start. You need enough room to form the back seam from your waist down to your butt crack (excuse my language but not sure how to put that delicately). The first pair I made for Ringulf didn't allow him enough room to sit down comfortably. I had the points starting at 8 inches down from the top in the front and the back. That's why I put 12 inches here in the pattern to allow more crotch space. You might need it someplace in the middle. Best thing is to pin it in place and very carefully try the pants on to see how it fits. I suggest wearing jeans or sweat pants while trying the pinned russ pants on over them to spare your skin. lol (hint: getting them off without getting stuck is the hard part)

I hope this helps and hasn't confused you more. Sometimes I have a difficult time explaining things with words that I can see perfectly fine in my head. LOL. I also appologize for not getting to this sooner. I have been swamped with unpacking and job hunting and Christmas stuff and haven't been on the site very often.

If you run into a problem and need more clarification, please post here. I will try to monitor this thread more often and Ringulf is on here all the time, so he will likely see it first and let me know you have a question.

Also, you can find some other people's patterns for making Russ pants online if you look far enough. It could help to look at the way other people are doing it.

Good luck!
Brandwyn
(I now return control of Ringulf back to himself...)
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thank you so much for that detailed post, Brandwyn! Quite clarifying and extremely helpful. I will be sure to inquire of you should any more questions/uncertainties arise.
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Hey, I can really use a pair of those pants, after all these Christmas dinners....Thanks Ranger Ringulf!
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Just finished up my pair last night. Thank you so much for the pattern and instructions, Ringulf and Brandwyn! :mrgreen: I made mine rather less baggy than the pattern suggests, but they're just baggy enough to stand out from more ordinary-looking pants. I like it.

I took some pictures, but the lighting was bad and they came out much too dark to see anything properly. I will try again later. :p
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Pictures! Pictures! I would love to see how they came out! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Ringulf wrote:Pictures! Pictures! I would love to see how they came out! :mrgreen:
I am planning to be in kit on April 19 (when I will be grabbing the last pics I need for the "Ringulf's a Character Contest"), and I will be sure to get some shots specifically of the pants at that time, too. :)
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Have you been watching the History Channel's "Vikings?" (Episodes are available online at their website.)

There was a Swedish Earl wearing Russ pants in last night's episode.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál