Ranger Medicine

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Ranger Medicine

Post by KerryTracker »

The Dunedain were really good at healing and herbal medicines. They could recognise, harvest, and prepare healing herbs from the land.

How many of you have thought about training in this skills?

I have spent some time learning how to identify and use a few wildcrafted herbal medicines. I am currently enrolled in the herbalist programme from Dominion Herbal College. http://www.dominionherbal.com/download/ ... ch2003.pdf

Another option that I have found extremely helpful is the Wilderness First Responder course. It is by no means Ranger oriented, but it gives a tremendous amount of medical education in a short period of time.

I would guess that the Dunedain Ranger would have this knowledge and much more.

Has anyone looked into this before?
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I have been studying them, and growing them for some years now, but that started as part of my Druid studies. I've got a tincture press to boot. LOL

But it serves me well now as a Ranger. I am by no means an expert; still learning, but I learn more every year and I prepare our own tinctures, powders, oils, balms and so on for my family.

Siani
Nandalad!
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

I am pretty new to this but I have been trying to find some books and info. Ive started looking at the Field Guide to Edible plants and mushrooms. They are full color books and can also have the medical effects listed of many of the plants. I also plan on taking some first aid classes for some basic skills.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Those guides, along with the Wild Harvesting books, are also good for gathering wild food, much of which is often though of as weeds. But they help with plant identification throughout the growing cycle.

Siani
Nandalad!
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

Willrett wrote:I am pretty new to this but I have been trying to find some books and info. Ive started looking at the Field Guide to Edible plants and mushrooms...
Willrett,
I have always been taught to be extremely careful with mushrooms. Sure they have a protein content, but there are so many poisonous look-a-likes that it is a dangerous option unless you have a PhD in mycology.

Even experts have poisoned their families with wildcrafted mushrooms.

There are enough viable options in the plant world for all of your medicinal and most of your edible needs.

Really, with only knowing ten local plants well, I have most of my food and medicines. I refuse to spend most of my time memorising all of the plants out there. That is my wife's passion as a permaculturist.

As a lazy herbalist, I limit my study time to my top ten.