Thinking of Buying a Sword

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Thinking of Buying a Sword

Post by Peter Remling »

Manveruon wrote:Okay, yeah, I think that makes sense. Basically what you're saying is that the nut holding the pommel onto the tang has a hex-shaped hole designed for an allen-wrench or something like that, so you just create a cap to go over it and disguise the hole, right? If so though, what do you use for this cap? I'm afraid I have no metal-working skills, but this does sound like a pretty cool solution.

Just chiming in, you could use a regular nail, cut down to the appropriate length. Hammer the nail head edges out with a hammer. File in some grooves in the shaft of the nail.

Pour/drip in some hot wax and push in the nail/plug. The grooves in the nail will grab the wax and give you much less of a chance of it falling out. You can also make a groove on the inside of the hex opening in the nut, if you have a dremel tool.

When you'd like to tighten the nut simply heat the peen area with a hair dryer, the wax will melt out , tighten and replug with hot wax.

Quick simple solution.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

NICE! That's brilliant!

Hmmmmm.... I already told Ernie that I wanted the pommel peened, however this is likely the last step in the process, so I suppose I could change my mind and let him know ahead of time.

Quick folks! Pros and cons: peened vs. threaded construction.

Personally I like a peened pommel because it just looks more period to me. furthermore, I have a Windlass Revolutionary War hanger (http://www.iloveswords.com/REV_War_Hanger.html), and it came with a threaded pommel, but the thing loosens constantly. I used it for a bit of light stage fighting for the first time years ago when it first came loose, and now it pretty much never stays tight. Since this is my only experience with threaded construction it has definitely made me a bit shy of that style, but perhaps other makers' products will stand up to a little more use than Windlass? I know they're not exactly high-end, after all. And I also don't plan to use this one for stage combat (it will be sharpened). But still, should I be concerned about that? I'm interested in everyone's thoughts!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I have both threaded and peened. I like peening simply because it looks more period. Both can and do come loose with use. Both can be tightened quickly with simply tools so it's just a matter of preference.
sgainbrachta
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by sgainbrachta »

Heh. You have a windlass... especially an older one. They are not very well-made. Bet the nut only barely fits properly, anyhow...

But the nail idea is a temporary fix- I meant to weld the "cap" in place.

I usually use a bolt, cut to fit- as they have a lot more "meat" to work with. As to "metal working skills" this is basically a file work thing- so it's more about patience than skills, really. Although a vice helps a great deal.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, I recognize that Windlass doesn't exactly make the most phenomenal pieces around, but still, it made me a bit wary of threaded tangs in general.

As for welding a cap on though, I'm afraid that's straight out for me. I've got no work-space, no tools, and no prior experience with welding or even filing. I may consider doing something like the nail cap as a nice disguise if I go with threaded, but at this point I think I'm going to stick with the peened construction. I doubt I'll actually be using the sword enough to significantly loosen it anytime soon.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
sgainbrachta
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by sgainbrachta »

Understood. I use all of mine in training and for events, so they gotta be solid. Also- as I live in a desert, every single handle shrinks pretty badly, so threaded just plain makes sense for me.

Please keep us posted on your new piece!

As a final note- to pretty much any randir that wants to come to Reno- over a weekend, we can make you a smaller utility knife. You do most of it, and I have all the goodies to do it!

Robert
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

sgainbrachta wrote:Understood. I use all of mine in training and for events, so they gotta be solid. Also- as I live in a desert, every single handle shrinks pretty badly, so threaded just plain makes sense for me.

Please keep us posted on your new piece!

As a final note- to pretty much any randir that wants to come to Reno- over a weekend, we can make you a smaller utility knife. You do most of it, and I have all the goodies to do it!

Robert

Makes very good sense it does. I've had the opposite experience to you concerning threaded tangs. My Hanwei/inker blunt would come loose after every class, but my Albion and now my Regenyei have never come loose. Both of those are peened. Even the A&A blunt backs out and needs tightening after ever class. Same for the Atrim I-beam. About the only peen I've had come loose was a Hanwei practical hand and half sword. That thing needed re-peening every month or so. This is not to open a debate or anything, just sharing my experience.
Winter is coming
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

It's good to know though! Thanks!
Fallsofdragon
Dúnadan

Post by Fallsofdragon »

Awesome sword project you have in mind, look forward to seeing your custom :D
I have the stock H-T sharp SH2404, it is one of my favorites blades
mainly because of the ... well ... blade 8)
I have both peened and threaded medievals, both types will do to ride the river with
I have a VA arming sword also, but the H-T just feels more manly
yes ... manly I say! :) (no offense to me ladies on forum :P )

Image The Queen of Light took her bow and then she turned to go
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom and walked the night alone