New/old haversack

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

New/old haversack

Post by wulfgar »

This is a new/old haversack that I just finished. It is 100% hand sewn with linen thread out of linen cloth that I reclaimed from a pair of trousers, hence the stains. I made the fall front trousers a few years ago and the seams started failing so I used the cloth to make this sack. I put it all together then decided I wanted to wax it with bee's wax. It measures about 13"x13".
You can't take the sky from me.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: New/old haversack

Post by Manveruon »

Looks great!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
boyofthebush209
Wayfarer

Post by boyofthebush209 »

looks great !!
have you thought of oiling it like as in oil cloth?
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

boyofthebush209 wrote:looks great !!
I painted it with beeswax. I have made oilcloth using linseed oil formulas in the past but since I will be storing food and food preparation items in this I wanted something less toxic.
boyofthebush209
Wayfarer

Post by boyofthebush209 »

wulfgar wrote:
boyofthebush209 wrote:looks great !!
I painted it with beeswax. I have made oilcloth using linseed oil formulas in the past but since I will be storing food and food preparation items in this I wanted something less toxic.

oh ok my mistake! :oops:
Fox
Dúnadan

Post by Fox »

Way to repurpose!
“Courage is found in unlikely places.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Fox wrote:Way to repurpose!
Agreed. And in our days of superabundance, we forget that cloth and leather was used and reused and repurposed until it was pretty much worn out of existence.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Out of curiosity, did the waxing cause any flexibility problems with the fabric?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

It is stiffer, but it's fairly workable and is softening up. It will never be as flexible as it was. One key is getting the excess wax out. After I brushed the wax on, I hung it up to cool. Then I took a blow torch, a heat gun would be the best choice but I don't have one, and carefully started heating from top to bottom. You could see the wax liquify and start moving to the bottom of the bag and dripping off. When it seemed like it wouldn't release any more I stopped and removed and "waxcicles" from the bag.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Outstanding. More and more I prefer my haversack and blanket roll over the standard pack.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Eledhwen wrote:Outstanding. More and more I prefer my haversack and blanket roll over the standard pack.

Eledhwen
Same here. I did a Civil War campaign event a few weeks ago and just had a haversack and small bedroll. It was a very comfortable set-up and I am even debating on using a similar set for modern hiking.
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

wulfgar wrote: Same here. I did a Civil War campaign event a few weeks ago and just had a haversack and small bedroll. It was a very comfortable set-up and I am even debating on using a similar set for modern hiking.
I have used that setup for modern camping, and it works great! You get odd looks from the more fashionably equipped campers, but it is very comfortable.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I have found that the haversack, when slung such that the top of it is right along the bottom of the ribs, doesn't move about even when bending over or working, and the blanket roll and tumpline help secure it anyway. I do not attach the roll to the quiver because I may wish to divest myself of the roll without having to unfasten anything, leaving my quiver in place at all times. I have not yet found anything, modern or otherwise, that is more convenient or in fact, comfortable (from a 'primitive' standpoint) than this setup. Personally, I prefer it even to ultralight modern stuff. Minimalist is the way I go, whether Longhunting, Rangering about Middle Earth, or just having a time out in the woods.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Eledhwen,
I am very much intrigued by the combination. I have several belt pouches:
A main pouch, I consider my possibles bag, a small acorn shape pouch,(undesignated). My hide pouch is about the size of an envelope(formerly used to hold my pipe and tobacco, but recently have been using it for SCA events for mundane needs, wallet cell phone keys etc) and the pouch that holds my tinderbox and small utility knife. What do you feel is the best dispersment of gear when using the haversack and bedrole combo?
How would you pack it for M.E. Rangering? (I have a hard time with making good lists and want to develop a sensible dispersment plan for my gear) :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I pack the items the same way regardless. On my belt are two pouches; a needs wallet and a simple belt pouch. That one has two sections; one holds keys, ID stuff, and when I carry one, a phone. The other, larger section carries things one might find in a possibles or shooting bag. This is the only part that gets regularly switched out as I don't need the ball bag and priming flask when going medieval/Tolkien. Also on the belt are my axe and long knife. If I were to carry a sword it would be a shortsword on a baldric.

In the haversack go things like extra socks, sewing kit, spoon, medical needs, fire starting items (again), sometimes parched corn mixed with maple sugar and nuts for moving rations, fingerless gloves, string, rope, a pouch with extra bow and arrow needs. It isn't very heavily loaded at all.

In the blanket roll go the copper corn boiler, sack of corn meal or flour, maple or muscovado sugar, sometimes a bit of chocolate, coffee beans (green), extra leggings or pants, extra tunic or shirt, usually another pair of moccasins; I go soft shod these days, for the most part. If I think there will be a lot of inclement weather I will have a canvas sheet rolled around the blanket proper that can act as a tent. This can be one of those nice combo pieces that includes a 'tick' and fly setup. If I am in the Winter the cloak or another blanket is rolled in too. My cloaks are not super thick; I have not found the need to make them so.

Finally, my quiver, which is carried on my back with a three point system when just traveling, but can be easily shifted across my back for shooting and moving. When I hunt I use a soft quiver and draw the arrows out point first right onto the bow for quiet and minimal movement.

It sounds horrendously bulky and heavy but it isn't. Elsewhere on this forum are photos of me with it. You can carry a surprising amount this way. I have never needed more.

I'll have to do a breakdown of it all, item by item and stick it in my thread. Hadn't thought of that.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!