Udwin's old-timey kit

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Udwin
Vendor

Udwin's old-timey kit

Post by Udwin »

Being some months in constructing, assembling and tweaking various items, here I can finally show off my gear!
Clockwise(ish) from top left:
Clothes (extra linen shirt, two wool breechclouts, pair wool leg-wraps, pair moccasins);

gear repair needs: whetstone & pouch, tin of leather dressing, sewing kit (in woolen pouch: leather awl, green and brown thread, needles in cane case, beeswax), natural cordage and sinew;

Hygiene needs (in linen sacks): mullein leaves (nature's arse-wipe), bar of castille soap, wooden comb;

cooking needs: cinnamon-wood box of brown sugar chunks, tin cup, linen napkin, tin of tea, pipe-weed pouch (holds pipe bowls and tobaccy), pipe-stem (doubles as bellows!), pewter spoon;

book of verses (more on this later);

pouch of hard coin (US&A Sacagawea 'gold' dollars);

vittles/provisions: ticking sack of two pounds maize-meal, linen sack of ~one dozen cram, ticking sack of dried pork.

At bottom:
fire kit in goatskin pouch: flint & steel, firesteel w/ magnesium, bag of cedar-bark tinder, charbox, and fire-lens in flannel-lined woolen pouch;
and the haversack to carry it all!

The loaded haversack weighs about 10 pounds total as I figure it, but about half of that is food, which means it can only get lighter as the journey goes on!

This is paired with my tumpline roll of wool blanket and ground-tarp/rain cape:
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Udwin's old-timey kit

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice rig. When you get a chance, take a pic with it on.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

That's some great gear you have there! Is your haversack based off of the New Invented Haversack?
You can't take the sky from me.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

wulfgar wrote:That's some great gear you have there! Is your haversack based off of the New Invented Haversack?
Thanks! And yes, it most certainly is (thanks, Sketchbook '76!). It's still without straps along the bottom edges (most likely meant to hold a blanket in between), as I don't want to use buckles and haven't yet decided how to do it with just leather thongs.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Very nice... thanks for sharing. I haven't yet incorporated any kind of a pack or a pouch set for carrying food and other essentials into my kit, so it's good to have some inspiration. I'd like to see a pic of you wearing it, too. :mrgreen:
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

great pics the set up looks nice.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Just so you know- I'm totally using this as a basis for putting together my kit.

Thanks.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

oooh very nice kit!! 8) 8)
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Straelbora wrote:Just so you know- I'm totally using this as a basis for putting together my kit.

Thanks.
Indeed, I think I'm going to have to look closely at how this is put together when I finally start to get all my gear ready for a big expedition. Looks like a solid system.

And I also second the idea that we need to see pics of you in garb wearing this rig!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I just saw this! Great kit and gear pic, and the roll! Have you gotten around to taking pics wearing it yet?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

What is your ground cloth / rain cape? Is it something that you made up, or got from somewhere? It kinda looks like a modified U.S. GI shelter half.
You can't take the sky from me.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

wulfgar wrote:What is your ground cloth / rain cape? Is it something that you made up, or got from somewhere? It kinda looks like a modified U.S. GI shelter half.
Close. It's a Soviet-era 'plash-palatka'. It's a ridiculously simple design--just a 6-foot canvas square, leather grommets, wooden toggles, and a couple drawstrings.
I'm a fan of repurposing Soviet gear for rangering, as it's generally all-natural materials, sturdy and simply constructed (i.e. user-repairable), undecorated, and already in appropriate 'rusty greens and browns'. In addition to the rain-cape, I sometimes use a 'meshok' bag (a pinnacle of Soviet-simple engineering) when I want a traditional--but light--backpack; my gourd seeds didn't germinate so I'm stuck with my canteens until next growing season; the gun-cleaning-kit pouch (the perfect size for my whetstone!), the wool leg-wraps, and pewter spoon in the pictures above originated in my russkie kit.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I have gourds up the ying yang and do qiute a bit of gourd carving, let me know if you need something I would be happy to give you one! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

This is almost identical to my KY Emberverse Ranger kit.....my thoughts are much like the settlers of the 18th C into KY during the 1770's.....since it too was a dangerous and precarious place to settle....

My kit is HEAVILY 18th C KY influenced!

PM sent...
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

Could i trouble you for a photo of the tumpline please?
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth