Dunedain Star Brooch...

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Dunedain Star Brooch...

Post by caedmon »

Just thought I'd bring back up the ideas for the Dunedain Star Brooche...

There's an album under
Kits for brooche designs...
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

There is a product called Precious Metal Clay aka PMC. It is a sculpting material that has tiny beads of silver or gold in a clay matrix.
It can be molded like normal clay and fired at fairly lower temps than normal clay. When fired the "clay" burns off and the metal fuses and is very sturdy.

My artistic skills drawing-wise are not what they used to be, but I was thinking of buying some silver PMC and trying my hand at making a cloak clasp with that star design.

Faolan
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

The stars that my wife and I wear at Faire I made from mild steel. I made a 7 pointed star template and then cut out the stars with a pair of shears and then used a dremel tool to smooth out the edges. I then glued some leather to the back to secure large safety pins so that we could affix them to our cloaks.

Mirimaran
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

You don't perchance go to the faire in Raleigh do you? My family and I have gone for the past what? four years now I think. Last year was the first time we dressed out for it.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

That PMC idea seems promising. I was looking at the kits and tutorials on it at the Fire Mountain Gems site (I'm sure there are others) and it seems like it ought to be relatively simple to do.

I see the silver comes from reprocessed film...interesting.

EDIT: I see, there's PMC and then there's Art Clay which is similar...how very interesting. And bronze clay too, which can be plated with a modeler's plating kit. That would give two-toned ability perhaps. Hmmmm.

I think I'll give this a go. Thanks!

Siani
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Eric C wrote:You don't perchance go to the faire in Raleigh do you? My family and I have gone for the past what? four years now I think. Last year was the first time we dressed out for it.
We do, but we understand that is is moving this year to a golf course, so I don't know if we will be attending or not. We are Life Patrons at the Loch Norman Highland Games in Huntersville. That's in April, and we'd love to meet you and your family there! BTW, we live in Iredell county, I don't think I mentioned that before, but Morielda grew up in Sanford, and we go by there every couple of months.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Moving? Hmm, I'll have to check into that. I don't think it's such a good idea to move it to a golf course, but then again, who am I? :roll:
I would love to go to the Loch Norman games! But I have nothing related to the highlander in my kit. I would have to go in plain clothes.

Edit: They've moved to a closed down golf course. I know exactly where it is. It's closer to where I live. They would have much more room to move around. Also, I've taken this thread off course. My apologies.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Has anyone considered the six pointed Star of Eärendil for the brooch design? It would seem to me to better fit the Ranger and Dúnedain aspects. I like the brooch in the gallery but perhaps change the eight points to six? Just a thought.

Siani
Nandalad!
Steven S.
Wayfarer

Post by Steven S. »

If I remember my Tolkien, the eight points are "historically" correct to LoTR.
"Nay the Shadow lengthens, and the Hidden remain hid."
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

*nodnod* I've seen it described as a rayed star...but the only depictions I've seen have six points and were referred to as the Star of Eärendil. Looks like I'll have to dig into my stuff to sort out why that image is so set in my head.

Siani
Nandalad!
Steven S.
Wayfarer

Post by Steven S. »

Same :)
Steven S.
Wayfarer

Post by Steven S. »

Hmmm... I now seem to be unable to find any references to point number...
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I understand that the stars of the King's standard are five pointed because Númenor was shaped like a five pointed star, and that is reserved for royalty. We use the 7 pointed, or fairy star, because traditional it is supposed to ward off evil. At least that is how we do it in our neck of Middle-earth. I think in Elvish heraldry that the points of a star do have meaning. I have been doing alot research lately on the subject because I am working on my own Ranger banner, so hopefully will have something to show for it soon.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Well, I can't find any absolute reference so I'm left wondering if the Elvish using the number six in their calendars hasn't triggered this, along with that one depiction I saw.

Oh well. LOL

I thought about the 7 pointed star; it makes for a different look for sure. :)

My own banner has a Pine Tree with seven six pointed stars around it. Mainly because the Pine Tree has an association with New England due to its use in the Colonial's flag at the outbreak of the RevWar, but it isn't for reenactment use in any case, just my own; I like the look.

I do like the six and eight pointed stars though. Easier for a non-artist like me to plan out. ;)

Sounds good!

Siani
Nandalad!
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

The emblem of Elendil and his heirs was seven five-pointed stars, each representing one of the palantíri that Elendil brought from Númenor. In Gondor they were set on a sable coat of arms, together with the White Tree, which represented any of the descendants of Nimloth that grew in Minas Ithil and, later, Minas Tirith. The device of the Kings. To this device the Kings of the line of Elendil added the Silver Crown, which was the chief mark of royalty. In Arnor a single five-pointed star became used as a device, the Elendilmir, representing the Star of Earendil. In Gondor the device including the stars and the Silver Crown fell out of general use, until the time of Elessar and the Reunited Kingdom. [6] The crown of Gondor is depicted most clearly in letter 211 of Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien.

[6] LotR Index IV: Star

But I do like the 6 and 8 pointed stars too!

"You can trust your car to the man who wears the Star. . . ."
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.