Dunedain Star Brooch...

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Dunedain Star Brooch...

Post by Peter Remling »

You should have gotten your manual with your "Welcome to Middle Earth" package, that was sent to you, when you became a member. If you need an additional copy just send me the $40 + $9.95 S&H and I'll have it sent out immediately.

:lol:

Please don't send money it is a joke, otherwise the next time you see my picture it will be on a wanted poster.
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

Ouch, hehe
pretty good idea though, perhaps we can come up with a middle earth starter pack. lol :P
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
David

Post by David »

Gareth wrote:We have one. It's called Lord of the Rings.
Touche salesman!
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

David wrote:
Gareth wrote:We have one. It's called Lord of the Rings.
Touche salesman!
ZIIING!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

but wait ..... if you act now i'll throw in this handy dany orc nail trimmer at no additional cots :mrgreen:
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I found this pendant and it got me thinking (smell the smoke anyone :lol: ) what if started with this design and instead of the arrow points made them oak leaf'sesez :lol:
http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-2840 ... ndant.aspx
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
David

Post by David »

Willrett wrote:I found this pendant and it got me thinking (smell the smoke anyone :lol: ) what if started with this design and instead of the arrow points made them oak leaves :lol:
http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-2840 ... ndant.aspx
They would also be arrow points as well, so then it wouldn't be as bulky.
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

In some further research I've found, the Star of Elendil IS an 5-pointed star. . . .

and are the original oval images still available somewhere? The link to "kits" in the very first post is broken.
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Hello,

I realize this thread has been dead for about a year, but I have read many statements that the star has five rays. I have been of the understanding that it has six rays, according to Tolkien's index at the end of The Lord of the Rings. I have nothing against different interpretations, or five rayed stars or eight rayed stars or however many rays anyone wants, but I would appreciate some input on whether or not I have misinterpreted this passage.

"Star, as emblem: (1) Star of the House of Feanor; (2) Star of Elendil, the Elendilmir, as Emblem of the North Kingdom; (3) Seven stars (above a crown and anvil), Emblems of Durin; (4) Seven stars, of Elendil and his captains. (1) and (3) had eight rays; (2) and (4) had six."

This index passage seems to indicate that the stars of Feanor and Durin had eight rays, while the stars of Elendil and the North Kingdom had six. Am I missing something, or has Tolkien given a contradictory statement elsewhere that indicates five rays?

Thanks.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I'd have to re-research the issue, but I think that Arnor had a five pointed star, so that was a symbol of the Royal House. Numenor was shaped like a 5 pointed star. For Tolkien to state that the brooch was a multi-rayed star means to me it was more than 5. I could be wrong 8)
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

I vote for six rays. ;)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Sam

Post by Sam »

This site demonstrates that the emblem of Elendil was seven five pointed stars, and the star of Elendil was an eight pointed star. It also states that "The device of Arnor was simple five-pointed star on sable square."

Whether any of that is accurate or not is another question.
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

That site is mostly an RPG reference based on the MERP books, although the heraldic designs (at least the top ones) are actual drawings done by the Professor himself. The lower designs may be drawings done by the website creators, but they are good interpretations.

I'm beginning to lean toward the eight-rayed pattern myself, still like to do something in precious metal clay but funds are limited at the moment.

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

I like the eight-rayed star bound by a circle myself. It's often called a "compass rose" as it relates to the eight directions, and thus to finding your way and orienting yourself in your environment. In some spiritual traditions, it also refers to the passing of the seasons, and in this context is referred to as the "wheel of the year", with certain natural and agricultural and cultural activities pegged to each of the directions. Ship's wheels are frequently eight rays bound by a circle, although they are also sometimes six-rayed, and so symbolically it is also "steering your way through the ocean of life". Lots of symbolism there, all of which is relevant to Rangering. Just my opinion though, YMMV!