cloak material

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

willmc349
Wayfarer

cloak material

Post by willmc349 »

What is the best material for a summer cloak? I would like it to be strong, lightweight, and waterproof.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: cloak material

Post by Peter Remling »

A single layer of cotton fabric comes in a variety of colors, will look good, be light enough and still hang well. It's easy to waterproof with Scotchguard, but won't be period.

For costuming purposes it's a quick and inexpensive route.

For a heavy winter weight, there are several threads posted here, I'll see if I and find and reference them.
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

Summer weight, if you want it water-PROOF, I'd say oilskin.
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
sgainbrachta
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by sgainbrachta »

WHat Chris said. Cap-Pel fabrics makes a thin, fairly tough brown, green and sorta "carhartt" yellow-y brown color- all of which work great to shed moisture. They DO have a bit of a smell for a while, but once you make it- hang it out in the air for a while, and it fades.

It is able to oil-stain you other gear, especially if it gets really hot, but I figure dirt and some staining is kinda par for the course...

Bestens!

Robert
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's definitely good to know. I'll have to check out their selection. I've been wondering where to find a good source for oilcloth.

What I used for a summer cloak was some very, very lightweight wool flannel in a sort of heather grey/greenn color. It's breathable, but insulating, and also a good period material.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains