Ranger Duster?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Ranger Duster?

Post by Peter Remling »

This is a pic of the sleeveless duster I did about 4- 5 years age. The wood buttons are stained and bear a pewter wolf's head.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ttoned.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ttoned.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... button.jpg

I wanted it sleeveless for freedom of movement.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

As a good starting off point for a duster or such, here are the new knock off costume patterns for Hobbit:

http://www.andreaschewedesign.com/1/pos ... eased.html

Kili's coat looks Ranger-y to me, and might be fun to make as a winter project!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I love it when Simplicity puts these sorts of patterns out!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

Have you ever watched the really old movies.. back when they were still learning about autos?
the driver and family always wore hats and coats and gloves and goggles...

Those were dusters too.

A Duster is simply a long light-weight coat whose only purpose was to keep your clothes clean when you were out and about, be it driving or riding or hiking.

They were mostly to keep the road dust off your clothes but could keep dew,. light rain, grass stain, etc off as well.

I suppose that Frodo wore one to keep the sheep poop off his clothes or to stop grass stains or bird poop or whatever from staining his only set of traveling clothes.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Eärendur
Dúnadan

Post by Eärendur »

hmm, so I was reading this: http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Rangers_of_the_North
And came across this quote:
The Rangers usually wore grey or dark green cloaks with no identifying ornaments except a six-pointed cloak-clasp in the shape of a star. Another identifying feature was that all of them wore a green longcoat.
There's no reference given for the "green longcoat," and I don't recall having read anything along those lines before... Does anyone know where this came from? Is it Tolkien original, or a fan addition?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Fan invention. Never read anything about that, and I'm pretty sure in 6+ years of this forum, someone would have noticed a glaringly obvious kit reference like that.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Yeah that seems to be a sweeping generalization based on Aragorns coat in the Lotr movies.
As far as the simplicity patterns go I I have the ones on the link as well as a few others. If you catch the right day Jo Ann fabrics has a pattern sale once in a while where you get 5 patterns for 5 dollars. we got 5 different costume patterns that included the Hobbit ones there as well as a few of the more medeival ones, a pirate and an Arabian Nights one as well.
I was thinking of taking up Belly Dancing......what?....Well I got the gear!
I could be the whole chorus line with this belly! :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

For what it's worth, I like to stick with Tolkien gateway for research and such. Twice as many articles (and generally better quality, to boot) as the lotrwiki^, and as a nonprofit separate from the main wikia system, there's a notable absence of flashy, distracting ads and the like to clutter up the page.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Nope no mention of a coat worn by the Rangers
"A little apart the Rangers sat, silent, in an ordered company, armed with spear and bow and sword. They were clad in cloaks of dark grey, and their hoods were cast now over helm and head. Their horses were strong and of proud bearing, but rough-haired. There was no gleam of stone or gold, nor any fair thing in all their gear or harness; nor did their riders bear any badge or token, save only that each cloak was pinned upon the left shoulder by a brooch of silver shaped like a rayed star".

For a matter of fact the number of points on the star isn't even mentioned.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

This is why my gear tends to be rather nondescript and unadorned. Nothing fancy at all and most of it used heavily so looking rather beat up. For me that is the image of a Ranger. :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Tolkien gives us a good description of Strider and later as the Fellowship leaves Rivendell he says he is dressed as a Ranger of the wilderness, nothing so specific as in his awesome longcoat.

"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."

He had a pouch too!

'And more deadly to Frodo was this!' He stooped again and lifted up a long thin knife. There was a cold gleam in it. As Strider raised it they saw that near the end its edge was notched and the point was broken off. But even as he held it up in the growing light, they gazed in astonishment, for the blade seemed to melt, and vanished like a smoke in the air, leaving only the hilt in Strider's hand. 'Alas!' he cried. 'It was this accursed knife that gave the wound. Few now have the skill in healing to match such evil weapons. But I will do what I can.'

He sat down on the ground, and taking the dagger-hilt laid it on his knees, and he sang over it a slow song in a strange tongue. Then setting it aside, he turned to Frodo and in a soft tone spoke words the others could not catch. From the pouch at his belt he drew out the long leaves of a plant."

"The Company took little gear of war, for their hope was in secrecy not in battle. Aragorn had Andúril but no other weapon, and he went forth clad only in rusty green and brown. as a Ranger of the wilderness. Boromir had a long sword, in fashion like Andúril but of less lineage and he bore also a shield and his war-horn."

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
sgainbrachta
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by sgainbrachta »

This is the one I did for my wife, based on the PJ LOTR Rangers of the Ithil Vale. I made a simple pattern for the top, and basically just played with the lower part.

As to a historical version of this- none that I am familiar with, although there are a TON of things like it from fantasy stuff you see at renfaires and the like. The German lederwams were a leather cover for the top only, and later-0 the buff coat is a bit closer in design- but was made of terribly thick bull-hide, so they were full-blown armor in and of themselves. Later, Hollywood gave us the 3 musketeers, who also have a sort of coat, close in appearance to Aragorn's in the movie, but the musketeers was only loosely based on historical garb, the more modern versions are even worse- some parts exactly right, others so far off it makes my brain hurt.

So- basically, the idea is function over all other aspects. Aside from it looking really cool!

For me, I will make one close to my wife's, but less full in the skirts, and possibly slit a bit up on the side seams, too- more like a blown seam, than a designed "slit". My leather is also starting a gorgeous, textured grey color- and I intend to do some overdye work on it, probably with an air gun and oil dyes. I plan to add greenish and brown colors to it in a somewhat mottled pattern- not so obvious as camo, but there, none the less!
Attachments
duster mostly done resize.jpg
duster mostly done resize.jpg (162.77 KiB) Viewed 14420 times
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

sgainbrachta wrote: My leather is also starting a gorgeous, textured grey color- and I intend to do some overdye work on it, probably with an air gun and oil dyes. I plan to add greenish and brown colors to it in a somewhat mottled pattern- not so obvious as camo, but there, none the less!
Do post pic when this is done. That sounds very cool.

I'm still very early in getting any kind of rangering gear. I myself am intersted in something like Aragorn's vest from the movies. I see it as functioning to provide some measure of protection, but the cloak provides the final layer of protection from the elements.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I think I'm the only one who disliked that duster...I understand why they did it but to me it always looks out of place. The Aragorn replica I've made I've done sans quiver and bow, and duster....I much prefer a cloak to a duster personally. Here in the praries in summer...it gets hot. While all the projects here are looking good I think each Ranger will end up choosing what works best for him. Good thread though.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I always thought he looked fine as Aragorn in the Prancing Pony, and then kinda ceased to look so when they left bree, then becoming the character again in Lorien when he ditched the duster for just his jerkin, and donned the grey cloak. Much improved...I'm with you on this, Rifter.

Welcome to the boards, by the way! If that's you in your avatar, kit looks great! Start a thread, tell us a bit about yourself, and post a few pics.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.