New pipe

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

New pipe

Post by wulfgar »

I started on this pipe this morning, and just finished it up. It is made out of a little maple tree that didn't survive last summer's drought, so the wood is well seasoned and was really hard drilling. I carved the bowl and stem using my little Mora 511, and then sanded it down. I rubbed in a coat of mineral oil and then beeswax. I felt like it needed something else, so I wrapped the stem, which helped hide the many flaws. All in all I am really happy with it. I haven't smoked it yet, but I will let you know how it works out.
You can't take the sky from me.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: New pipe

Post by Straelbora »

Outstanding! I think real rangering would entail a lot of down time, just kind of watching things. Whittling, creating pipes like this one, etc. , would certainly help fill the time.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Addreonynn »

Very cool!!! I've not attempted a wooden pipe yet, but I made one of clay a few years back for my dad. he loved it and he said it smokes well. Do you have any tips for wood pipes?
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Well, I gave it a try today and I think that is smokes as well or better than any commercially made pipe that I have. Here's a pic of lighting it with some char cloth that I struck with flint and steel.
You can't take the sky from me.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very, very nice. I absolutely love seeing original pipes. The handmade wooden pipe is truly an artform, one wich I hope to start very soon. I have had fun even recently with a batch of clay pipes, but I truly look forward to the carving of one like this! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: