Two new projects and an old one gets alittle closer...

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett

Two new projects and an old one gets alittle closer...

Post by Willrett »

I had an old hockey equipment drying rack that is no longer in use since my rink closed. When I got looking at it I realized I could make a few first attempt projects to try my skill.

Fist is a staff/spear/walking stick. It was the main pole for the rack and now has several small holes that need filled in. It had small dowels sticking out of it.

Next is a shield. It was the base of the rack and I think will work perfectly for a trial. May not get used since it might be a bit big/heavy.

And the already started but closer to being done are my new knife handles and the axe handle. All three will be cherry wood stained blood red and green. I got em cut just got to attach, sand, and stain.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

This is me with the staff.

Also the small dowel rods (no pics yet) I am thinking about making a very small hand crossbow but we will see.
Steven S.
Wayfarer

Post by Steven S. »

I am somewhat confused.. that cherry looks an awful lot like white oak..
"Nay the Shadow lengthens, and the Hidden remain hid."
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

Yeah its not very red in the pics in person its more red but its not a deep red. When I got it I questioned it, I thought it was more like a red oak but I'm not sure it came from a sawmill.
Steven S.
Wayfarer

Post by Steven S. »

The colour is what made me suspect white oak rather than red, but its the grain structure that looks like quarter-sawn oak rather than cherry to me...
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

True but a 2 bucks for 2 foot piece (will do 2 knives) I couldn't complain to much as long as it works.
Steven S.
Wayfarer

Post by Steven S. »

Nice deal! Just be careful about splinters... Tool handles are sometimes made out of oak for the strength, so shouldn't pose an issue.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

The base as a shield looks awfully thick, therefore too heavy. How much is it?

Most documentation has the thickness at 1/2" based on the shield fittings, but with pressed plywood you could go lighter.

Viking Shields
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Great link, Beornmann! The first shield I made was a plank shield, and while serviceable, mine is very heavy, the next shield I made was much lighter :D
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

Not sure of the size will measure when I get a chance but it will be to heavy, but it will be a good first time practice shield. And If I get used to something heavy a lighter shield will seem even lighter.

Ive never made a shield (or much else for that matter) but I thought it would be good practice for a throw away stand base. If it looks good when I'm done it may go on the wall of my garage.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Mirimaran wrote:The first shield I made... while serviceable, ...is very heavy, the next shield ... was much lighter :D
Oft repeated mistake. Many sport fighters opted for aluminum, such as from Windrose Armoury.

Atzinger Shield Works offer durable slightly modified wooden shields.

Cynnabar Shield Page: Nice How-Yo explanations, especially like the Regia shield color section.

I have used the 2 x 1/4" with lots a glue pressed with bricks for a form and blocks to press. Cut to shape.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.