Most recent Kit

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Most recent Kit

Post by Ringulf »

It had been a while since I upgraded some of my basic kit so I took a few pics this weekend before our first Fall Ranger Practice.
I jumped on the suede Hood when it went on sale a few weeks ago on Museum Replicas, for the money it is very well made and even covers my acreage! The rest of the upgrades are the reinforcment of my warbelt and a new court pouch I had fun with as well as the beginings of a carved drinking horn. The Horn will be one of my first official entries into SCA Art/Sci competition. It's name, which will be inscribed in runes around and just beneath the rim is: "Kvasir's Howe". The name of the peice is a Kenning as the carvings will depict elements from the Legend of Odin's aquisition of the Meade Of Poetry.
I am almost done with the carving and will be working on casting the rim and finial in place. (the finial will be the head of an eagle and the tongue will be the actual carved horn tip surrounded by the cast metal head...well that is the plan anyway, we'll see!)

I am also finishing up a hunting quiver and matching possibles bag but will wait on those to show you when I am finnished.

For the moment though, Autumn Ringulf! :mrgreen:

Not so very dangerous attaking with your walking axe sheathed Ringulf! (except to Ringulf) :roll:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Most recent Kit

Post by Daerir »

First I got to say, that's a pretty awesome kit. Your weapons are prefect. Not to many, but not to little, just right. My friend Kyle would love you. He loves dwarves and really likes Gimli. I'm trying to talk him in to starting an account on here.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very cool Scott. The drinking horn sounds awesome. I'm gonna need to see pics when she's finished.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

WOW! I really like what you have done there, friend Ringulf! Can you tell us a little about the viking ship pouch? Is the seax new? Love the scabbard! You look formidable!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

You. Look. AWESOME. Seriously, of all the pictures you've put up over time, this is by far the most complete your kit has ever looked. It's functional, it's eye-catching, and it's beautifully stylistically consistent. Love it.
My favorite feature, though, is your wicked cool Viking long-ship belt pouch. That thing rocks. And your horn is ridiculously cool too. Overall, VERY impressed!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

Amazing kit! I've got to go with everyone else and compliment your viking ship pouch!!! Overall, I love what you've put together, very cool stuff!!!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

That is awesome! Very intimidating! I love the scrimshaw!!! is it very hard to do?
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

gear looks great
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Addreonynn Lightfoot wrote:That is awesome! Very intimidating! I love the scrimshaw!!! is it very hard to do?
Thank you!
The horn carving is not very difficult for me since I have been a woodcarver for many years as well as a sculpter and the tools as well as the techniques are very simular.
Though it is a carving system that relies on material removal (most of which is done by scaping and scratching) it is not technically scrimshaw which is done with a scratching technique primarily but whose defining charicteristic is that it is then wiped with ink or dark grease to fill the lines so it becomes almost like a form of engraving, but on ivory or bone. :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

Ringulf wrote:
Addreonynn Lightfoot wrote:That is awesome! Very intimidating! I love the scrimshaw!!! is it very hard to do?
Thank you!
The horn carving is not very difficult for me since I have been a woodcarver for many years as well as a sculpter and the tools as well as the techniques are very simular.
Though it is a carving system that relies on material removal (most of which is done by scaping and scratching) it is not technically scrimshaw which is done with a scratching technique primarily but whose defining charicteristic is that it is then wiped with ink or dark grease to fill the lines so it becomes almost like a form of engraving, but on ivory or bone. :mrgreen:
Oh! very interesting. Tis beautiful work none the less! Indisputably so!

P.S.
Sorry for the fancy talk... I feel like today will be a very... FANCY... day! lol I feel bad for anyone who has to listen to me talk!
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

I like the hood.
How it is NOT a pull-over but ties in the front.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

It could be made that way very easily, the fact is, it is a pull over at the moment and it is very hard to tell with the viking bling around my neck!

Thanks for all the support all of you! I am continuing to refine what is ME Dwarf and What is Varangian Ranger! I am trying to distinguish between the two but there is quite a bit of overlap I'm afraid. :mrgreen: