Two New Pouches

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Two New Pouches

Post by Ringulf »

I wanted to respond to the interest you folks showed in my Longship pouch and show you my new possibles bag I made specifically for Ranger Archery.

The Longship pouch was inspired by the Gotland picture stones and the several ship pictures both simple and ellaborate that were shown on many of them.
In the same spirit I felt a Norse leatherworker might think of decorating a special pouch in the same manner so I made my own design using the same style of artwork and used the Elder Futhark to write on it the english translation of Frigg's Blessing of Travel given to Odin.
If I were to do this in a more period style I would use the original Old Norse Language and the younger Futhark as that is what most of the Norse of my time period were using. but the English is designed for contemporary recognition as is the more recognisied and utilized Elder futhark with it's nearly one to one representation of our alphabet.
The Blessing says: "Hale go forth, hale return, hale be on your way." the word "Unharmed" is sometimes substituted for the word "hale" which means healthy and fit, but hale is a bit shorter if more antiquated and fit on the pouch better.

The layers of leather are 5-6 oz and the mast is 10oz and attached by stiching on top and bottom so I can slip a paper or something flat behind it. The hull can be used as an outer pocket. the flap was laced on the Luff of the sail as it might have looked on the square sail itself and it is long enough to go down to loop around each sheild for a more dramatic look, but for ease of use I normally only loop it around the center shield like a normal pouch flap would. The yard at the top helps create the look of the sail being "hung" from it and it also lets me pull the straps in front of it so that it holds the pouch straiter when loaded
It is fun and colorful and great with my red court garb but I needed something more utilitarian and "rangery", so I made this larger Possibles pouch to match my hunting quiver.

I cast the wolf medalion from a necklace I have using the method I have devised for a faux ivory look (still cant find a cheap, reliable source for walrus tusk or mamoth ivory, mores the pity) so I figured I would go green which is befitting a ranger anyway!
The two small pockets on the front are of suede and are great for my bowstringer and some of my other archery tools and the frog on the back, as you can see, holds my right hand drawn axe neatly and securely. I have gone to the right hand draw for the axe as I then can decide to fight or throw it and the left hand back draw for the seax allows me to draw the seax in conjunction with the axe for two handed fighting or when not particularly hurried for utilty. This will leave a spot open on my left hip for a sword, if and when I can afford to make the one I want, for which I will devise a baldric that will go under my warbelt.
I liked that configuration when I saw it, as even though it made it harder to relieve myself of the baldric and scabbard, it helps me keep my belt up! (No mas pantalones) which is not a good look for me.

So there you have it and here are the pics, enjoy! :mrgreen:

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Two New Pouches

Post by Eothain »

Both are beautiful pieces, and it's very nice to see both in full detail! I'm in love with the second pouch now that I've seen it fully! Again, great work, thanks for posting!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

Those are.some lovely pieces of work!
I like the boat one but that second one is amazing.
Almost nessmuk in a way with the axe fixing on the back....
I can see practical applications for rangering there.

And the detail to decor is awesome. I like the wolf head
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth
turnip
Dúnadan

Post by turnip »

Greetings Ringulf!
Very impressive (and practical) work! I love your attention to the small details, and THE RUNES! I love the runes on there! Thanks so much for sharing and giving the rest of us some inspiration and incentive! Sindara
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

beautiful work as always my friend
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Gondian
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gondian »

In a word...Beautiful! Can you PM me my Dwarven friend.
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Impressive work! I have a question, what is the purpose of the stick on the first pouch?
You can't take the sky from me.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Thanks Wulfgar, glad you like it!
As mentioned in the description it has two purposes.
The first was decorative in that it makes the flap that looks like a sail, look as though it is tied to a yard. The sail would have been laced to the cross yard and the yard hauled up the short mast (which can be seen behind the flap on the pouch front.)
The second reason is more practical and is to keep the pouch hanging more vertically when filled. I can pull the straps that go to the belt through it and it forces it not to tilt forward as much so it hangs a bit better.
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Ringulf, thanks for the second explanation. For the life of me I can't remeber reading that the first time I read your post. Lyme's disease has taken a toll on my memory and just general awareness.
Again you do excellent work, I wish my atuff came out that nice!
You can't take the sky from me.