Privateer Pouches

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Privateer Pouches

Post by Ringulf »

I have two friends, sisters, that belong to our Shire in the SCA, but they are also a part of the local pirate reenactment group in St. Augustine. (a hotbed of Pirate activity here in Florida) The group they belong to is called "Leviathan"

I made some pouches for them to go to the last event and I mentioned them to Manveron, being our local pirate afficianado. They turned out pretty well so I thought you might like to see them.

The concept came due to them not being able to find the exact pouch that was suitable to their particular personas. They are sisters, as in real life, and French Privateers, so they wanted something that was ellegant but at the same time durable and just a little rakish.

I started with a soft black suede for the body and realized I would need to reenforce the back belt tabbard and the flap with some harder leather both for tooling and stregnth. So I took a page from the Brian Grubbs Sporan project (Thanks Brian!)and made them in very much the same way.

I did change the pouch shape to a modified medeival military triangle pouch and dropped the center to a point were the loop strap would go. Then I sewed some black tassles into the other two corners to make them a bit more fancy.

The buttons were matched to the additional mug straps I made to go with them and were color coordinated for the "Silver Rose" Theme and the sister's "Brass and Poppies" theme as well.

The rear tabbard that supported the belt was originally going to just be made with two vertical belt slits, but we could not decide if the pouches would be worn at the belt level or below, or what thickness belt was to be used.

So I slit the tabbard at four points horizantaly to put in the adjustible loops with buckes. This way they had more options for wearing the pouches as the needs changed with the wardrobe.

Lots of fun, I kinda like the whole "soft suede" thing and the leather reenforcement still allowed me to tool in the details.

Hope you like them, the girls did and got many compliments wich made my day! :mrgreen:

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Privateer Pouches

Post by Manveruon »

Those came out beautifully, Ringulf! Just the thing for a couple of roguish ladies!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Thanks! the Tankard straps are easy and effective. I like this style and use this myself. The trick for these is having a heavy duty waxed thread to hold the button on. I have been using mine for a solid 4 years without incident. I recently made one using a screwed on drawer pull that is very strong, but the knob does not fit through smaller mug handles.
:mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Addreonynn »

Those are awesome! I'm jealous of the activity and interest in your, and many others on the forum, areas
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I don tink dat means what you tink dat means! :wink:
Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Addreonynn »

OMG lol i literally laughed out loud!!! u kno wat i mean!!! and i love the Inigo reference
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Inconceavable! :mrgreen: