WI Trek

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

brownl_91
Dúnadan

WI Trek

Post by brownl_91 »

A week ago a buddy and I went for a trek in Medford Wisconsin. The weather was cold, windy and rainy. It drizzled most of the morning with temps in the low 30's upper 20's then when the rain stopped the wind picked up to 15 MPH with gusts up to 25 MPH. We went a total of 20 miles in the 2 day hike.

After a 10 miles hike the first day, through hills and wetland we arrived at a good spot to make camp. We had a good water supply and a good wind buffer. The fire kept shooting huge sparks all over burning holes in my bedroll, clothing, and skin. Somehow even the smallest fire would shoot burning chunks of wood all over.

That night it dropped down to 25 degrees and I was overly warm with a wool sweater, 2 wool blankets, and an oil cloth. If I used my wool cloak instead of my canvas one I could have only used one wool cloak.

Though my bedroll looks big in the following pictures, it only weighs 20 lbs including food.

TIPS Learned:
Tea: If you forget tea boiling white pine needles is a good and healthy tea that is packed full of vitamin c.
Cloaks: Always wear wool. I used my heavyweight canvas cloak to protect me from the wind, however wool would have kept me warmer and would have been a better blanker at night.
My buddy hiking
My buddy hiking
IMG_2948.JPG (55.35 KiB) Viewed 13758 times
Lone tree, just thought it looked cool
Lone tree, just thought it looked cool
IMG_2952.JPG (50 KiB) Viewed 13758 times
Me hiking
Me hiking
IMG_2953.JPG (51.45 KiB) Viewed 13758 times
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Re: WI Trek

Post by brownl_91 »

Our Camp
Our Camp
IMG_2961.JPG (64.16 KiB) Viewed 13757 times
Bedroll by fire
Bedroll by fire
IMG_2957.JPG (54.56 KiB) Viewed 13757 times
sorry about the picture quality
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

I'm laughing out loud because to those of us on this list, your photos, no matter what the quality, probably elicit envy, whereas for 99.9% of humanity, it would just bring about head-scratching as to why anyone would want to hike and sleep outside in that kind of weather, let alone without the benefit of modern materials.

Looks like it was fun. Thanks for the pics.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Looks like a great time! Glad you got out and in it!

You guys considering oining us in Indiana for our spring (april) moot?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

As far as the Indiana Moot, I would be game and I'm sure he would be too. But since I'm graduate in the spring I have know idea what I am going to be doing. I would love to join all of you there though.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Wow! Great looking trip and gear, I'm jealous.
You can't take the sky from me.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Nice to see some neighbors out and about! Mayhaps we'll run into one another sometime.
Greg wrote:You guys considering oining us in Indiana for our spring (april) moot?
You realize of course we're going to eventually make you drive up here, right?
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

Straelbora wrote:I'm laughing out loud because to those of us on this list, your photos, no matter what the quality, probably elicit envy, whereas for 99.9% of humanity, it would just bring about head-scratching as to why anyone would want to hike and sleep outside in that kind of weather, let alone without the benefit of modern materials.

Looks like it was fun. Thanks for the pics.

I was thinking about what you said today at work and its so true. When I tell people that when I go camping and all i sleep with are some blankets next to the fire they look at me weird. "What if it rains?" is usually there response. I say "well i just lift the blanket a little higher so it covers my face. They always give me a weird look. It feel like we a just a different breed than most people....Perhaps we are the decedents of the Dunedain? Either way, next spring I plan on taking my dad trekking with me.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Odigan wrote:Nice to see some neighbors out and about! Mayhaps we'll run into one another sometime.
Greg wrote:You guys considering oining us in Indiana for our spring (april) moot?
You realize of course we're going to eventually make you drive up here, right?
You have to plan an event for that to happen!
Eärendur
Dúnadan

Post by Eärendur »

Does that mean if I plan an event in Michigan, you guys will come up here too? Maybe we could do February if you're feeling adventurous. :P
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Greg wrote:You have to plan an event for that to happen!
Sounds like a project for next year... and another thread.
But we do have a great many excellent sites to offer here!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Plan it, and I'll do what I can.

February? No promises, but I'm always up for a challenge.
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

I go on at least one winter trek a year, last year it happened to be on the weekend that the tempts dipped to -20. Somehow I didn't freeze and nobody got frostbite, which is a miracle since my one friend forgot gloves and used a very thin pair that i had in my car.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

A February minimalist camping trip in Wisconsin? You guys are brave, haha.

Anyway, this looks AWESOME! Glad you guys had a good time! The pictures, whatever quality, are great! It's nice to see more of us getting out there. I'm going to have to get my butt in gear soon and do some of that myself.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

I have to agree with Manveruon, you guys are braver than I to endure such weather. I am no big fan of the freezing cold... Good to see you and a friend shared a great time though! And I think as well that we belong to a different breed, haha!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.