Not a ranger outing, but. . .

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Not a ranger outing, but. . .

Post by Eric C »

Friday afternoon and Saturday morning my son, Matthew, and I went to a father and son campout with some guys from our church. We had an outstanding time. Matt caught his first 4 fish! He's a natural. He just turned 10 and I have never taught him to fish. I showed him how to cast and to reel in the line. He did the rest. His first fish was the only one of keepable size that anyone caught, but the guy who owns the pond is trying to get the pond stocked really well, so we threw it back. But not before our pastor got pics.
One of our guys is an avid hunter and a FINE camp cook!!! He made a meal of deer backstrap and tenderloin that made our mouths water. It was a first camping trip for one father and his two boys. He fell in love with it immediately. We nearly had to drag the younger boys away from the fishing dock so they could eat. There was some wonderful conversation time around the campfire.

On the bad side, I forgot to take my new camp knife that I made. :( I was looking forward to giving it a good working out in the field.

But this has whetted my appetite for getting Matt and myself out into the woods and working on some skills. Yes, that hunting license is in the near future.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

sounds like a great time. I have made it out a few times to shoot bows with my little brothers 8 and 13 ( I think, I cant keep track) We plan on camping a few times this year and taking our gear. I'm trying to get them into rangering.

Eric did you wear any of your Ranger stuff? You could do a little primitive skills lessons with the kids to make it fun.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Willrett wrote:Eric did you wear any of your Ranger stuff? You could do a little primitive skills lessons with the kids to make it fun.
Not this time. But I'm about to take a more active roll with the boys and I hope to maybe introduce them to a few ranger skills.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Sounds like you guys had a great time! Maybe next time you can introduce them to archery. I finally had a chance to shoot some today myself and I didn't realize how much I missed shooting until I had my bow in my hand and a full quiver on my back! If you get a chance to do some Rangering on your next outing, take some pics!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Count on it. I discussed the possibility of taking a bow or two with the hunter who did the cooking. We never followed up on it though. I am strongly considering starting a group at our church called the Royal Ambassadors- or RAs for short. The RAs can be very much like the boy scouts. And I plan to have those boys in the woods as much as possible.
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

There's a group out there now similar to your RA's. . . .

http://royalrangers.ag.org/

Church related anyway!
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

It's great that churches have groups like that. I need to look into some up here.
Eric, have you posted pics of that knife?

Andy
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Pretty sure he's talking about this one, which he posted awhile back in the "Pictures of your Ranger Kit" thread, page 4:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ecart1970/F ... ishedKnife#
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Yep, that's the knife. The royal rangers look a lot like the RAs.

I'm working on a couple of new knives now. One of them is going to a certain professional maker so he can critique it for me. The other- which I really like- is going to a store in Wake Forest, about 30 miles from here, that sells products, art, crafts etc from NC craftsmen/women. . . people.
I still have a pretty long way to go before I finish them, but I'll post pics when they are ready.