Finding Gear

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Finding Gear

Post by RikJohnson »

I suppose that the Gods have blessed me with Arizona, specifically Tucson as a residence.
As a paddler, we can canoe all year around.
As a hiker, we can hike and camp all year around.
the bad thing is that being a border state, the sheriff and border patrol are psychotic and are always killing innocent people, with no repercussions, so you Do have to be careful where you go at times.

But the city itself has REI and Summit Hut, both of which have regular camping gear yard sales and used gear sales where I can collect neat gear for pennies on the dollar. Much of this gear can convert to MER easily.

Plus it is legal here to go armed in the forests etc, which is good as half my medieval weapons and gear are illegal in California.

Plus having so many homeless and poor, Thrift Stores abound so on the way home from work each day, I pass three (used to be 4) and a quick look often reveals items of value. a 1970's suede purse that becomes a kit-bag. Army blanket for a bed-roll. a bolt of woolen cloth (20 yards of mostly wool for 41). you get the idea.
Plus the yard sales and swap meet often gives items that can be adapted or used as raw materials for garb and gear!
Bummer that leather even here is so expensive!

Sometimes, when I read posts about people having to mail-order the simplest things, I am amazed at how much I can find compared to other places. (Though archery gear sucks here. it's all compound bows and carbon-fiber arrows.) Still if you have a good eye, you can always find a good deal on swords and knives and even axes... just beware of the SLO and Wall-hangers. Though I unloaded a LOT of wall-hangers off onto the local pagan community who saw a wall-hanger as acceptable for an Asatru rite!
And the Local SCA people are always selling their weapons on craigslist and the local pawn shops (LOTS of great deals there)

Just a Thank You Universe for the options in my area.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Finding Gear

Post by Straelbora »

I have a service for about 20 people, including plate, bowl, cup and utensils for each person and all sorts of serving bowls, caraffes, jugs, etc. that I gleaned from Salvation Army and Goodwill stores over the years. I did a few 'Hobbitfest' parties with it all a few years ago, showing all three Lord of the Rings films and serving food and drink mentioned in the movies. I've also used them for a couple of Bilbo and Frodo Birthday parties for teens at a local library.

I'm currently collecting furnishing for my future rustic cabin/Middle Earth inn.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál